Canadian GP: Ricciardo reviews 2015 season so far

Seb Scott

Formula 1 Reporter
Ricciardo Canada 2015.jpg

Daniel Ricciardo feels his team Red Bull Racing are now “back on a level where we were last year,” speaking in Canada on Thursday. The Australian picked up his first Grand Prix victory a year ago at the Gilles Villeneuve circuit, however his highest finishing position this year is a fifth place finish in Monaco.

"Since Melbourne I think more's come from driveability in the engine," he said, when in Melbourne both Toro Rosso and Red Bull drivers were complaining about the lack of driveability coming from the 2015 Renault power unit.

"Melbourne was really difficult and I think we're now back on a level where we were last year, but we're six months into this year so we should be ahead of where we were last year. We want to be better, but at least we're back to something that we're comfortable driving and the response is closer to what we want.”

Talking about if his team are on their way to closing the gap to Ferrari, who have leap frogged Red Bull in 2015, and of course if Red Bull can catch Mercedes, it seems Ricciardo has conceded championship or race win hopes for the foreseeable future of the season.

"If everything runs as it should, Mercedes and Ferrari are still too far in front, I heard they have some engine updates as well this weekend, which scares me a little bit.”

Comparing this years car with last years and also the development race between Red Bull and the top teams he went on further to explain why it appears Red Bull aren't as competitive.

"Last year the package was a bit better, to be honest, but with that, the top teams have also found a step this year. Last year we had an advantage in high-speed corners, for example.And this year it seems we haven't really found more there but the other teams have. They've caught up to us in high-speed and neutralised our strength. Like for like, last year we had more of a chance.”

Feeling slightly optimistic though, Ricciardo is aware there is still a long way to go until Abu Dhabi and given Red Bulls size, anything is possible, finishing with this.

"But it's still early enough and we've got time for more updates."

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 93 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 128 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 173 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 341 28.2%