Hamilton tops the timesheet for a second time today in FP2 posting a 1:15.988. Rain interrupted the free practice session, which meant there was only really 35 minutes of useful running for all teams up and down the grid.
The session kicked off with drivers queuing at the end of the pit lane eagerly awaiting the green light to signal the start of FP2. The reason why drivers were queuing, was due to the fact rain was imminent and teams knew that, with the official word being a 70% chance of rain for the afternoon session.
Although he topped the timesheets, yet again it was easier said than done for Lewis Hamilton who was forced to take to the escape road through the last chicane after being cut up by Grosjean and almost causing a high speed collision. Hamilton and Rosberg, both went out in the rain, as a result Hamilton who was on intermediates in extreme wet conditions, on the approach of the final hairpin the ended up going off track at the final hairpin and straight into the tyre wall, bringing out the red flags.
Nico Hulkenberg ended up limping back to the puts after suffering a rear left puncture. It at first looked like Hulkenberg had made contact with the sidewall of the rear left tyre, over radio he insisted that there was no contact with anything, Pirelli later sent a text out saying “After careful investigation, we specify that Hulkenberg’s left rear trouble (loss of pressure) is NOT tyre related. It appears to be rim related.”
- Lewis Hamilton GBR Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 15.988s
- Sebastian Vettel GER Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 16.304s
- Kimi Raikkonen FIN Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 16.310s
- Nico Rosberg GER Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 16.440s
- Pastor Maldonado VEN Lotus-Mercedes 1m 16.600s
- Valtteri Bottas FIN Williams-Mercedes 1m 16.849s
- Romain Grosjean FRA Lotus-Mercedes 1m 16.864s
- Felipe Massa BRZ Williams-Mercedes 1m 17.041s
- Daniil Kvyat RUS Red Bull-Renault 1m 17.092s
- Daniel Ricciardo AUS Red Bull-Renault 1m 17.111s
- Nico Hulkenberg GER Force India-Mercedes 1m 17.120s
- Marcus Ericsson SWE Sauber-Ferrari 1m 17.261s
- Carlos Sainz Jr ESP Toro Rosso-Renault 1m 17.318s
- Sergio Perez MEX Force India-Mercedes 1m 17.367s
- Fernando Alonso ESP McLaren-Honda 1m 17.627s
- Max Verstappen NED Toro Rosso-Renault 1m 17.657s
- Felipe Nasr BRZ Sauber-Ferrari 1m 17.751s
- Jenson Button GBR McLaren-Honda 1m 18.135s
- Roberto Merhi ESP Manor Marussia-Ferrari 1m 19.531s
- Will Stevens GBR Manor Marussia-Ferrari 1m 19.734s