Can you use VR exclusively (i.e. no single monitor)?

I am about to make the plunge into getting a sim rig and wanting to go primarily VR. I have never tried VR, so have to get past that hurdle with possible motion sickness etc. But, assuming that i can play primarily in VR, the question is:

'Can i play EXCLUSIVELY in VR?'

For example, my main computer desk will be 6 feet from my sim racing cockpit. If i can play in VR, i am hoping that i do not have to buy yet another monitor that is only used on the cockpit.

I already have 2 monitors on the computer desk. Can i just use the computer monitor that i already have on my computer desk to setup the game, etc and then jump into the cockpit to actually practice or race on VR exclusively (i.e. NO single monitor on the sim rig itself at all, and instead just use VR when in the cockpit), then jump back to the computer desk when finished to see the replay, setup the next race, etc)?

I really don't want to pay yet ANOTHER $600 to get another monitor AND a single monitor stand that is only used on the sim rig if i can avoid it.

Is anyone else using VR exclusively when in the cockpit itself with their normal computer and computer monitors in a different location?

Thanks
Randy
:)

Last edited:
I race only in VR, have had 4h and longer sessions no issues for me, PC is like 5m away with two screens attached, no problems whatsoever on that part. I use Rift S so just start Oculus Tray tool, it starts Oculus software and switches audio to headset. I get in the rig, put on the headset and use virtual desktop from then on, easy. Besides the rig I have right oculus remote (that you can use instead of mouse in windows) and wireless keyboard with trackpad. No need to get out of rig for any game.

Upvote 0
I guess it's dependent on game but I know with something like Assetto Corsa I couldn't run without a monitor/kb/mouse to hand, especially if you want to use Content Manager (and you do). Its not the driving itself that's the issue, its either side of that, selecting a car/track, starting the session, finding online servers, saving replays afterwards etc etc.

Can't i do all that on the computer at the computer desk and when setup or having seen the replay, etc, walk 6 feet to my cockpit, put on the VR headset, and go?

Upvote 0
Can't i do all that on the computer at the computer desk and when setup or having seen the replay, etc, walk 6 feet to my cockpit, put on the VR headset, and go?
AC is a little bit quirky. Once you have fired up the event, it doesn't actually start immediately and you have a simple UI that allows you to change the car setup, review the timings or start driving. I use the mouse and keyboard at this stage, but you might be able to bind certain options to buttons on the wheel. It's not a deal breaker, but just something to consider. Having a bluetooth keyboard with a touchpad next to the VR might work.

Upvote 0
'Can i play EXCLUSIVELY in VR?'

Yes, absolutely, no issue what so ever. Even though I-have a monitor at my rig, most of the time I do not turn it on.

Because it's doable does not mean it's convenient

that is true also, it is not always convenient and for a few buck you can add a cheap used small monitor to your rig and have the best of both world.

Upvote 0
I may end up getting another (wireless) keyboard/mouse and putting them right by the cockpit. Really don't want to go the route of adding a real monitor, as now i have to buy both a monitor and a stand for it for the rig. I am already about $1K over budget :)

Upvote 0
if you are using a rift there is a button virtual destop that makes a screen in your vr and one of the hands will act like a mouse you can allso pop out the virtual keyboard. only thing you cant really do is while in game tab out to change songs rest you can bind to your wheel. i use a mouse for clicking the menu buttons but you can use the wheel for restart pit stop.
regarding the vr sickness my advice is when you hit a wall and start spining dont close your eyes just move your head in one direction. and if you have any sickness that is normal for a lot of people it will pass with more sessions you do

Upvote 0
You can type ALT TAB on the virtual keyboard for that, not?

if you are using a rift there is a button virtual destop that makes a screen in your vr and one of the hands will act like a mouse you can allso pop out the virtual keyboard. only thing you cant really do is while in game tab out to change songs rest you can bind to your wheel. i use a mouse for clicking the menu buttons but you can use the wheel for restart pit stop.
regarding the vr sickness my advice is when you hit a wall and start spining dont close your eyes just move your head in one direction. and if you have any sickness that is normal for a lot of people it will pass with more sessions you do

Upvote 0
I guess it's dependent on game but I know with something like Assetto Corsa I couldn't run without a monitor/kb/mouse to hand, especially if you want to use Content Manager (and you do). Its not the driving itself that's the issue, its either side of that, selecting a car/track, starting the session, finding online servers, saving replays afterwards etc etc.
I use an OVRdrop virtual desktop in SteamVR to run Content Manager in my Samsung Odyssey+ headset, with a PC keyboard off to the side of my wheelstand.
Since I cannot touch-type, cropped video from a webcam above the keyboard
displays in that virtual desktop along with Content Manager.

My vision requires strong correction from custom lenses in the headset;
switching between VR headset and eyeglasses is too much bother.
Two mouse buttons are customized to exit AC driving and recenter VR view.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 130 13.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 94 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 67 6.8%
  • < 5 years