Can you use VR exclusively (i.e. no single monitor)?

I am about to make the plunge into getting a sim rig and wanting to go primarily VR. I have never tried VR, so have to get past that hurdle with possible motion sickness etc. But, assuming that i can play primarily in VR, the question is:

'Can i play EXCLUSIVELY in VR?'

For example, my main computer desk will be 6 feet from my sim racing cockpit. If i can play in VR, i am hoping that i do not have to buy yet another monitor that is only used on the cockpit.

I already have 2 monitors on the computer desk. Can i just use the computer monitor that i already have on my computer desk to setup the game, etc and then jump into the cockpit to actually practice or race on VR exclusively (i.e. NO single monitor on the sim rig itself at all, and instead just use VR when in the cockpit), then jump back to the computer desk when finished to see the replay, setup the next race, etc)?

I really don't want to pay yet ANOTHER $600 to get another monitor AND a single monitor stand that is only used on the sim rig if i can avoid it.

Is anyone else using VR exclusively when in the cockpit itself with their normal computer and computer monitors in a different location?

Thanks
Randy
:)

Last edited:
Of course you can do this.
I have my rig standing in front of my desk. There is a little screen in front of me on the desk. I basically just use it to see who is on teamspeak and of my recording software is recording.
Apart from that I would not need it.

A friend of mine does it the way you plan to do it. PC and monitors far away... No problem... Works.

Cheers Dan

Upvote 0
I have my computer on a large table, with a 42" TV as monitor, which I use for everything: browsing, designing, programming, playing videogames (with gamepad and with an arcade control panel), watching movies (replacing my chair with an comfortable armchair), listening to music, etc. My cockpit is behind me, facing the wall on my left. When I want to use it, I just plug the power cable I have below my desk to the connector I have on my cockpit, which goes to a power strip, also on the base of my cockpit, which is a board of laminated wood. Everything that needs power (steering wheel, fans, amplifiers, etc.) is connected to that power strip. I also have a USB hub on my cockpit, with every device connected to it. I have a unique cable coming from that USB rolled up on the side of my cockpit. When I want to play I unroll it and connect it to a female cable that I have below my desk, together with two audio cables (for the shakers), so everything is detected at once. Then I run a script that loads all the neccesary programs, including Oculus home. I put on my headset and open the virtual desktop using the Oculus controllers. From that moment, I can forget about the the Oculus controllers. I leave the headset on a tray I have on the side of my cockpit and jump into my bucket seat. I put on my headset and my headphones and use the mouse I have on my cockpit to do whatever I need from the virtual desktop, incluing using Content Manager (Assetto Corsa).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I only need my monitor to make sure Stream is running. From there I can launch VR or any title from my HMD (Index has a start/menu/select button on it). All the menu interaction controls I need are mapped either to my wheel or an aux panel. Worst case scenario I use my wireless kb from within my hmd... the SteamVR dash gives me access to the desktop but usually the gaze cursor and select button are enough to navigate even that.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Because it's doable does not mean it's convenient.
Just take notes on what you currently do on your PC before, after, and between races.
Being in VR non stop for hours is not a picnic either, you would want to take a break from it from time to time.
And what about titles that are not full time VR, like AC?
How much 24" HD monitor anyway. A hundred?

Upvote 0
Because it's doable does not mean it's convenient.
Just take notes on what you currently do on your PC before, after, and between races.
Being in VR non stop for hours is not a picnic either, you would want to take a break from it from time to time.
And what about titles that are not full time VR, like AC?
How much 24" HD monitor anyway. A hundred?

I was going to get the LG-32GK650F for $400 plus likely a $150 minimum monitor mount.

You could buy a slow refresh 1080p monitor for just a little, but i would want a bigger and better monitor for my single monitor if i put one up.

I would rather make the rig exclusive VR though as it saves the extra money if i can manage to do VR for long periods (2-3 hours or so at a time for a race situation, i doubt i would ever play longer than 1 hour at a time just playing alone, so i figure i can handle VR that long)

Randy

Upvote 0
Once the motion sickness goes away there's just no experience like it no matter how many screens you pop in front of you!

Cosmo, the first time i saw a Jimmy Broadbent video on youtube about 3 months ago, and then realized he was in VR racing a 1967 Grand prix car around Spa, I was bitten, and then went down the sim racing rabbit hole learning about the best stuff to get, etc, but it was all so that i can be IN the cockpit racing a car i could never afford but always wanted, a Caterham 7. It is the idea of doing it in VR that has me the most interested. I have never done VR at all, so can only guess what it is like.

Randy

Upvote 0
Cosmo, the first time i saw a Jimmy Broadbent video on youtube about 3 months ago, and then realized he was in VR racing a 1967 Grand prix car around Spa, I was bitten, and then went down the sim racing rabbit hole learning about the best stuff to get, etc, but it was all so that i can be IN the cockpit racing a car i could never afford but always wanted, a Caterham 7. It is the idea of doing it in VR that has me the most interested. I have never done VR at all, so can only guess what it is like.

Randy

Yeah I watched some of his videos too, and a bunch of other reaction videos to VR racing and I **** you not, it is not overhyped.

I can play in VR for hours and not break a sweat so I wouldn't worry about what that guy said about not being able to play for long periods.

It really is shocking but amazing because you really do feel transported into that car in that track. It's actually become something I do now when I need to destress I'll play some music on Spotify and just cruise by myself around a long Japanese mountain.

If you think you'll need a good Monitor to play games then yeah get that but there's no need for anything but a basic monitor (even used) if you'll be mostly doing VR racing.

Upvote 0
Computers don't boot up into VR and just like games that require a keyboard or at least keyboard mapping software going to a button box, there are things you need a screen for.

Some people will use a VR desktop application. I've even seen people use the VR desktop to run games like Wreckfest.

Upvote 0
Playing or racing? If latter, you are not doing it right. :)

I'll rephrase. I can be in VR for hours and hours and enjoy it. I just wanted to make it clear incase your comment made him think all VR gamers agree with that. I'm a bit of a VR veteran so once you're used to long VR sessions burning 1200 calories, sitting down and racing doesn't make me sweat once you've built that resilience (and keep a fan going).

Upvote 0
I plan on using VR exclusively in the cockpit, but will have a computer and computer desk with 2 monitors on the desk where i will be doing all my game setups, mod installs, FF setups, etc etc on. But, once that is setup and ready to play, i will jump in the cockpit in VR. When done, jump back on the computer.

Upvote 0
Yeah I watched some of his videos too, and a bunch of other reaction videos to VR racing and I **** you not, it is not overhyped.

I can play in VR for hours and not break a sweat so I wouldn't worry about what that guy said about not being able to play for long periods.

It really is shocking but amazing because you really do feel transported into that car in that track. It's actually become something I do now when I need to destress I'll play some music on Spotify and just cruise by myself around a long Japanese mountain.

If you think you'll need a good Monitor to play games then yeah get that but there's no need for anything but a basic monitor (even used) if you'll be mostly doing VR racing.

Cosmo, i knew i had to try VR racing the moment i saw that Broadbent video the first time. It is no doubt one of those things you have to experience to 'get it'. Seeing it on a screen and reading about it are not the same thing. I have never done ANY VR ever never, have no idea what it is like, lol. Looking forward to finding out, plus looking forward to experiencing a DD wheel the first time, serious pedals the first time, getting a brand new serious computer and new gaming monitor for the desktop, so it is kinda Christmas during the summer over here :)

I don't plan on doing any 2 or 3 hour VR sessions unless it is a race that requires it with practice, qualifying, etc. Will likely never practice or play on my own more than 1 hour.

Randy

Upvote 0
I guess it's dependent on game but I know with something like Assetto Corsa I couldn't run without a monitor/kb/mouse to hand, especially if you want to use Content Manager (and you do). Its not the driving itself that's the issue, its either side of that, selecting a car/track, starting the session, finding online servers, saving replays afterwards etc etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 214 14.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 115 7.7%