F1 2013 Can you really drive with a gamepad

F1 2013 The Game (Codemasters)
I've been away from computer games and F1 e-racing for some years now. But playing the Race Formula 90 board game made me want to get back into some racing. I "Steamed" F1 2013 because it seemed to have reasonable hardware requirements (which I easily meet with a core i7 and AMD R7) and contained the classic car/tracks from the days when I followed F1 more closely. I have an Xbox 360 controller and have put in a lot of hours without seeing much improvement. I've read and tried different custom adjustments, and, frankly, none of them seem to do any good. Fine control in the corners or curves is almost impossible. Moving the stick left or right results in a huge turn as though the car is being wrenched into the corner. So to make a turn, it's a matter of jerk, straighten, jerk, straighten, etc. As I said earlier, making adjustments in linearity, etc., don't seem to make any difference at all. So the question is: am I missing something so totally obvious as to prove I'm an old buffoon or is this really only supposed to work with a wheel?

xbox 360 controller is still the best out there, been racing with that since F1 2012
yeah assists usually limit your driving, changing saturation and linearity (some people had posted their settings) can make it better for your or worse, depends
ofc the ingame car setup can change the whole handling, too (and I don't mean the quick setup)

F1 2012/13/14 were easier to drive for most people I know with a gamepad than with wheel.

I was using a Logitech Dual Action and it was horrible, so I got a wireless receiver so I can use my Xbox 360 controllers, and they are great, you can lower the deadzone to give you more control, and there is also a trick as well that I don't use but apparently it works.

Go to Settings / Driving Controls and select "Overide Input Device" at the bottom and try that.

Exactly what does "override input device" do? You can set it to off, steering wheel or gamepad. I guess with traction control off, I need to experiment to see what works best. But it would sure be nice to know what the settings mean.

It would, but I really don't know what it does it's just another option that apparently makes it easier to use a game pad.

I used to play with an Xbox360 wireless controller on Legend with no assists. Doing a mix of 25% and 50% Career racing. It's not the best option, but it is a good one. :thumbsup:
I did struggle with tyre degradation since my 'turn-in' was not very smooth. You definitely need to adjust the 'advanced' controller settings from the default settings as they are horrible for the gamepad.

If anyone stumbles across this and needs help with settings, send me a message.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 6.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 164 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 313 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing