Can Tripple screens run with VRR / G-Sync / Freesync?

@Fleskebacon, I had the same situation with triple g7 (officially in nvidia gsync compatible list) - in surround all have gsync, without surround only the middle one.
With the LGs I got triple gsync with and without surround.
So it depends on the monitors model. I have not tried with amd card, so I don't know what will be the situation there.

I have the impression that AMD's drivers arent't really that good either. Generally, Nvidia's drivers work with G-Sync in Surround mode, but some drivers seem to be more stable than others. All in all, it doesn't seem like they pay much attention to this.

Have been tinkering with this for a while, and figuring out that some Nvidia drivers actually do work with full G-sync support even in windowed mode with Surround enabled, solved most of my problems.

For games without proper triple support, like the new WRC, running a full 48:9 widescreen across triples just doesn't work that well - the far sides are just so distorted that it's no help. It also costs much fps, so running 32:9 or even only 21:9 is a nice possibility. With fullscreen borderless I can then resize the window to whatever size I want with SRWE, and still have both bezel correction AND proper G-sync.

Yes, you are right. Its much more easy to use SRWE. But there is one more thing to consider - SRWE is actually window (no matter borderless or no) and when running something in window usually the latency is increased because everything must go through DWM composition (desktop window manager). In that context surround (or eyfeinity) would be clear winner, because you could run the game in exclusive full screen mode. At least this is valid for directx 11 titles (most of serious sims are dx11)

Yes, you are right. Its much more easy to use SRWE. But there is one more thing to consider - SRWE is actually window (no matter borderless or no) and when running something in window usually the latency is increased because everything must go through DWM composition (desktop window manager). In that context surround (or eyfeinity) would be clear winner, because you could run the game in exclusive full screen mode. At least this is valid for directx 11 titles (most of serious sims are dx11)
Agreed. I only need it because it's not possible to resize exclusive fullscreen to for example 32:9 wide - it will be 48:9 no matter what.

I have the impression that AMD's drivers arent't really that good either. Generally, Nvidia's drivers work with G-Sync in Surround mode, but some drivers seem to be more stable than others. All in all, it doesn't seem like they pay much attention to this.
AMD had a few teething issues after launch of the 7x00 series GPUs, but most of that is resolved. I was having trouble getting triple screens to work out of the box (over 60Hz) with a combo of HDMI + DP. That has been resolved by AMD. I'm now able to set my monitors to a Max of 120Hz (Freesync) with either 2x HDMI + 1x DP, or 1x HDMI + 2x DP.

Agreed. I only need it because it's not possible to resize exclusive fullscreen to for example 32:9 wide - it will be 48:9 no matter what
It is possible with custom resolution. I had in the past 32:9 ultrawide samsung and in order to play some non sim games fullscreen (halo, for example) i have created custom 21:9 resolution in nvcp centered on the display with black bars in sides.

edit: Actually, may be I am not right. I got it wrong - custom resolution for fullscreen mode would be possible on single screen, but with three 16*9 you are probably correct 48*9.

Last edited:
Hmmm, maybe it's different with G-Sync compatible monitors, I'm not really sure, but with true G-Sync monitors, I ran G-Sync-enabled triple-screen setups with 2 different monitors - the Dell S2716DG and Asus PG27VQ (AKA PG27V) - from 2016 to 2022 with all sorts of Nv GPUs and drivers fine.

Last edited:
It is possible with custom resolution. I had in the past 32:9 ultrawide samsung and in order to play some non sim games fullscreen (halo, for example) i have created custom 21:9 resolution in nvcp centered on the display with black bars in sides.

edit: Actually, may be I am not right. I got it wrong - custom resolution for fullscreen mode would be possible on single screen, but with three 16*9 you are probably correct 48*9.
Yep, that's exactly it - with triples and Surround mode you cannot create such custom resolutions. Don't know why this is not possible, let me know if you find a way!

Hmmm, maybe it's different with G-Sync compatible monitors, I'm not really sure, but with true G-Sync monitors, I ran G-Sync-enabled triple-screen setups with 2 different monitors - the Dell S2716DG and Asus PG27VQ (AKA PG27V) - from 2016 to 2022 with all sorts of Nv GPUs and drivers fine.
The true G-Sync monitors are most likely more stable, predictable and flexible than the Freesync monitors which are more or less compatible. Probably a reaason why the true G-Sync ones are much more expensive...

Last edited:
A monitor has its own hardware settings. Always first check in your monitor's manual what the Gsync/Freesync rules are.

I have opened the Samsung G7 manual, which has 3 pages of information on how to get VRR working properly. For AMD and NV. If you change certain settings in the OSD menu of your monitor, it will affect what your GPU can do with it.

Often, monitor hardware settings like response time and motion blur, immediately affect things like VRR, max resolution or max FPS. It's not always Windows. If you configure your monitor on that ultra-super-fast setting, you can get GPU issues in return.

A monitor has its own hardware settings. Always first check in your monitor's manual what the Gsync/Freesync rules are.

I have opened the Samsung G7 manual, which has 3 pages of information on how to get VRR working properly. For AMD and NV. If you change certain settings in the OSD menu of your monitor, it will affect what your GPU can do with it.

Often, monitor hardware settings like response time and motion blur, immediately affect things like VRR, max resolution or max FPS. It's not always Windows. If you configure your monitor on that ultra-super-fast setting, you can get GPU issues in return.
Kudos for reading all that.

My G3's basically disable all settings when Freesync is enabled. Response time, and even max refresh setting is locked.

The various Blur Busters test patterns are quite useful when testing different settings for response time etc.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back