Can track mods be renamed?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask and sorry if it is a stupid question but I'd like to rename all the track mods I have downloaded to different names and it's not working for me. I thought that renaming the folder would be enough but the one I tried returned a "XXX track not found", back to its original name and of course it worked.

Is it possible to rename the tracks? any help on how?

I believe tracks need a kn5 matching the folder name to work, so you'll have to rename the folder, that kn5, and then fix any layout ini files that refer to that kn5. (models.ini if there's only one layout, models_layoutname.ini if there are others)

Also as general advice track folders should be lowercase letters and underscores only - no capitals, no other punctuation, no spaces.

I believe tracks need a kn5 matching the folder name to work, so you'll have to rename the folder, that kn5, and then fix any layout ini files that refer to that kn5. (models.ini if there's only one layout, models_layoutname.ini if there are others)

Also as general advice track folders should be lowercase letters and underscores only - no capitals, no other punctuation, no spaces.

Ah ok, I was suspecting something like that might be the problem. I'll try what you say and maybe rename them all unless it's too much work. It's not a big deal anyway, just to organise my favorite tracks, really.
Thanks!!

I do this all the time to better organize tracks.
Goto your 'Tracks' folder inside the 'Content' directory
Choose track you want to rename
Inside the folder of the track you want to rename, goto the 'UI' folder
Edit the 'ui_track.json' file, make a backup first if you wish, name it, 'ui_track.json.old'

Right at the top between the " " marks.
Type whatever you like, then save.

Cheers

I do this all the time to better organize tracks.
Goto your 'Tracks' folder inside the 'Content' directory
Choose track you want to rename
Inside the folder of the track you want to rename, goto the 'UI' folder
Edit the 'ui_track.json' file, make a backup first if you wish, name it, 'ui_track.json.old'

Right at the top between the " " marks.
Type whatever you like, then save.

Cheers

Wow, as simple as that? that's awesome. Thanks a lot, man!

Just to be clear, open and edit 'ui_track.json' Where you change the actual name that is displayed in content manager is marked by the second red arrow. piece a cake.
Track Rename.JPG

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 101 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 133 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 183 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 358 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing