Can I make GT3 steering a bit more responsive

Just having a practice for the event on Friday.

I'm struggling to drive the Porsche because the steering just seems so unresponsive.

I've ended up getting the steering angle down to about 180 which does give it some initial turn in, but brings the soft lock so close in that - well, I can't believe that's full lock.

Does anyone have any advice on how I wake the steering up?

I've checked and there are no assists on.

Just having a practice for the event on Friday.

I'm struggling to drive the Porsche because the steering just seems so unresponsive.

I've ended up getting the steering angle down to about 180 which does give it some initial turn in, but brings the soft lock so close in that - well, I can't believe that's full lock.

Does anyone have any advice on how I wake the steering up?

I've checked and there are no assists on.
I'm not sure how rF2 adapts to very low wheel angle settings. Normally you set it to 900, then rF2 detects the 900 and syncs the real steering I your wheel.
So a gt3 might have 500. Then you can turn it further (since there's no softlock afaik) but the car won't turn further.

If you drop below the real value I'm not sure whether or not you'll get 500 squeezed into 180 or simply only get the first 180 of the 500.

Either way a steering lock setting in the car would be way better!

As far as I know the Porsche gt3 has a setting in the "general" tab of the setup screen. Increasing that setting should put "more tyre turning per steering wheel turning".

You could also try to disable "vehicle set" in the controls menu and lower the degrees there. It should in theory do the same but you won't increase the maximum tyre turning angle like with the setup setting.

Report back when you tried it :)

I'm not sure how rF2 adapts to very low wheel angle settings. Normally you set it to 900, then rF2 detects the 900 and syncs the real steering I your wheel.
So a gt3 might have 500. Then you can turn it further (since there's no softlock afaik) but the car won't turn further.

If you drop below the real value I'm not sure whether or not you'll get 500 squeezed into 180 or simply only get the first 180 of the 500.

Either way a steering lock setting in the car would be way better!

As far as I know the Porsche gt3 has a setting in the "general" tab of the setup screen. Increasing that setting should put "more tyre turning per steering wheel turning".

You could also try to disable "vehicle set" in the controls menu and lower the degrees there. It should in theory do the same but you won't increase the maximum tyre turning angle like with the setup setting.

Report back when you tried it :)

Thanks Rasmus but no luck.

My wheel is set to 900 in the Thrustmaster panel - the default value.

Set to 'car set' in settings.

But if I move the steering degree in on the car setup, it brings the soft lock in, but the car just won't steer on full lock.

I can just about scrape around the first corner at Hockenheim, but the car simply understeers - literally under steers - off onto the grass when trying to navigate that little left hand kink that leads onto the back straight.

I don't know what else to do.

I didn't have any issues with the Tatuus once I'd got the steering help off, and I'm fine with the steering on the GT3 cars in AC and ACC.

These ones, though, they just don't turn.

Thanks Rasmus but no luck.

My wheel is set to 900 in the Thrustmaster panel - the default value.

Set to 'car set' in settings.

But if I move the steering degree in on the car setup, it brings the soft lock in, but the car just won't steer on full lock.

I can just about scrape around the first corner at Hockenheim, but the car simply understeers - literally under steers - off onto the grass when trying to navigate that little left hand kink that leads onto the back straight.

I don't know what else to do.

I didn't have any issues with the Tatuus once I'd got the steering help off, and I'm fine with the steering on the GT3 cars in AC and ACC.

These ones, though, they just don't turn.
Sounds very weird! Is the virtual steering wheel in sync with your real one?

Sounds very weird! Is the virtual steering wheel in sync with your real one?

Yep!

It is weird, because I like using the same car and I have no such problems. I am using T500RS set at 900 too.

It is weird. Andy. Have you ever played ACC? If so would you say the steering feels similar?

When I first drove the car, the steering was too 'wide' for me - in order to turn most corners I had to remove one hand from the wheel in order to get enough turn.

So I moved the steering angle right down to something that felt natural - which seems unusually low - around 180 degrees.

But that introduces a soft lock where I really think there shouldn't be one.

I have to crawl around the hairpin with full lock.

It's just so different to anything else I've ever driven, I can't think it's right.

I checked the Thrustmaster control panel and it appears that the rotation set by the car in rF2 sets the rotation in the control panel.

I't set it to the default 900 before I started rF2, but it's now set to 240, which is what I set the car to.

That's the minimum, but it's not enough.

I'm at full lock at every corner, and I can't get out of the pit without hitting the pit wall.

There's something wrong. For me there's almost no difference. At least not about the steering angles going from AC to ACC to rF2 to Raceroom.
So the virtual wheel is synced.. it seems that the detection is completely screwed though.
What about other cars GT3 cars?

Can you please check:
\\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player\Controller.JSON

For me at around line 640-660, my settings, left out unimportant lines:

"Steer Ratio Speed":0,
"Steering Sensitivity":1,
"Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation Default":900,
"Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation from Driver":true,
"Steering Wheel Range":407,
"Steering Wheel Software Rotation":false,

I use a Thrustmaster TS-XW and no problems like your experiencing. Steering works great as expected.
Thrustmaster Control Panel - Auto-Center Setting: "By The Game"

Double check the following in your rF2 ingame "Options" settings:

CONTROLS:
Steering Rate: 20%
Speed Sensitivity: 0%
Steering Sensitivity; 100%
Steering Deadzone: 0%
Vehicle Set: "Check"

PLUGINS/DIFFICULTY:
Steering Help: OFF
Stability Control: OFF
Spin Recovery: OFF

Last edited:
Setting your wheel to auto is best, I haven't used a Thrustmaster in a few years so I forget the exact settings for that, but I'm using a Fanatec CSL Elite with 5 profiles, I set one for auto and each car changes the rotation and it matches 1:1 for me. I used to set a profile to 540 and use 540 for all cars before but in some cases that was awkward especially in open wheels.

So as Ace King said, try setting it to auto.

"Steer Ratio Speed":0,

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, but I wonder if this one was the winner.

Mine was set to 20. I have no idea why.

After I'd changed this setting, there was an immediate change in responsiveness, especially in change of direction, like when exiting turn 2 at Hockenheim (the tight right hander) then switching left for the little kink before the straight leading to the hairpin.

I put some laps in after that change and it was starting to feel 'normal' again.

More importantly, I started to really enjoy driving the GT3s in rFactor2, which I've never done before.

I've now idea if that was the setting, whether it was placebo effect, whether I just got used to it, whatever. I've no idea why I didn't notice anything on the Tatuus last week.

Anyway I'm happy. Thank you all.

Looking forward to Friday - I'm in the low 1:41s (on soft tyres) at the moment but I think I have a bit of time to find. Looking like a full grid.

! And yeah, this setting should definitely be at 0 with a wheel, lol :roflmao:

From what I can tell, from that folder, the default T300 RS profile has that set to 20.

At times it feels like input lag, at times it feels like a terrible deadzone.

If any T300 owners complain of this, it's probably that setting!

From what I can tell, from that folder, the default T300 RS profile has that set to 20.

At times it feels like input lag, at times it feels like a terrible deadzone.

If any T300 owners complain of this, it's probably that setting!
Now make sure you place all the others settings you messed with back to their original settings!
I checked my TS-XW steer ratio speed and it was set to "0" as recommended.

Note: I checked all eight Thrustmaster controller profiles and four of them use "20" as listed below:
T150, TX, TMX, T300RS = "Steer Ratio Speed":20

I believe this may be a mistake for the "T300RS" since it's capable of 900 deg. rotation so those wheels "not capable" of 900 deg. then a Steer Ratio Speed "20" would perhaps be beneficial due to their greater steering sensitivity thus this would help to lessen it.

Last edited:
Whatever the heck is wrong with these presets, lol...
The first few lines are all gamepad presets and they all have the "20". No idea why some wheels have it at 20 too but I suspect that it's wrong, bugged, placebo or whatever but it's completely weird!
rF2_Controller_Presets_SteerRatioSpeed.JPG

A controller is very sensitive and mimics close to a on/off switch do to it's very short throw thus using "20" helps to lessen this sensitivity with the controller's software so your car won't be as twitchy but some drivers might prefer to put up with this twitchiness for quicker response times!

Some low cost wheels using only a few hundred deg rotation will be too sensitive for some car types requiring much higher rotaion so increasing this Steer Ratio Speed will help to decrease this sensitivity!

Last edited:
A controller is very sensitive and mimics close to a on/off switch do to it's very short throw thus using "20" helps to lessen this sensitivity with the controller's software so your car won't be as twitchy but some drivers might prefer to put up with this twitchiness for quicker response times!

Some low cost wheels using only a few hundred deg rotation will be too sensitive for some car types requiring much higher rotaion so increasing this Steer Ratio Speed will help to decrease this sensitivity!

All this does go a long way to explaining the problems I was experiencing.

Steering was sluggish, especially with fast switches in direction.

Also it felt like if I steered quickly into a corner, the wheel didn't respond, whereas slower turns would usually be more accurate.

I guess the questions that raises are

Why did it affect the GT3 cars so badly, yet was unnoticeable on the Tatuus (although I'd be interested to try it again and see if I'm quicker in it)?

But more importantly, with this being an apparently default setting, how many other people are affected by it?

Also do these look right?!

"Analog Steering Maximum Apply Rate":0.5,
"Analog Steering Maximum Hurry Rate":2,
"Analog Steering Maximum Release Rate":1,
No idea if they do anything...
How about you just send me/us your controller json (not the preset ofc, your actual file) and I'll just throw in my values into everything but let your buttons and decide id's like they are.
Gonna take only a few minutes for me and you'll be done with it :)
No idea what's active and what's disabled anyway in that json. But I know my file works flawlessly and I basically run default everywhere.
Just put ".ini" behind the json to be able to upload it in here :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 319 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 448 39.2%