Can EMI cause random button presses/inputs?

I'm using a Fanatec DD2 with a McLaren GT3 rim. Recently in F1 2019 the MFD panel will randomly start cycling through screens - making wing adjustments and changing tyre selections. In Assetto Corsa Competizione my brake balance can randomly change.

All of these unwanted inputs seem to be things that can be controlled by the McLaren wheel's 'FunkySwitch' adjustment knob. It seems to happen when I'm in corners which makes me wonder if it's FFB EMI surge related? I've attempted to separate cables as much as possible but it's still happening. Can EMI even cause semi-random inputs like this? Or is it more likely that my McLaren GT3 rim is dodgy, and sending signals when it's not meant to?

Thanks in advance for any advice/support! :)

Could be, only way to know is to minimize interference.

Some electronics are just not well made and generate a lot of noise.

trick is to use ferrite cores on your cables. and to use more than you think you need.

The ferrite bead doesn't have to be snug, can include loops and multiple cables so go big in size and quantity.

I spent close to $500 in Mix 31 ferrite cores, worth getting good quality not eBay/amazon crap. Ther are different mixes for different frequencies. I put them on either end of the cables, USB and power cables too. all over. Never an issue.

Don't know if I need them but I don't have to worry about it either ;)

In the end, your wheel may be bad. so try different wheel as well.

Upvote 0
Given the DD2 is meant to be well shielded from this according to Fanatec I’d be more inclined to think it was a wheel issue. Perhaps flexing under high forces on the board given it’s not designed for DD use really.

Also seen lots of people saying buttons outright don’t work although I think that was mostly the shifters. Could also be firmware not update properly if you wanted to try re-flashing.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 155 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 293 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing