F1 2010 Can anyone reccomend a good high end gaming desktop manufacturer or supplier.

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
Im thinking of purchasing a new gaming machine within the next couple of months and would like some feedback from members on the best place to get one.

I would only be using it with f1 2010 and would like to have the option in the future to run a 3 monitor setup.

My initial thoughts are to go with alienware from Dell or an Acer. (my budget would be £2500 max but maybe that is overkill if its only being used for f1 2010, would i get a machine capeable of running 3 monitors for £1200 ish)

I would also be interested if anyone has any experience with the Rennsport Cockpit from fanatec with a 3 monitor setup. Is it worth the outlay?

if you want high end stuff for decent prices, you should consider a custom build. If you're not tech savvy enough to do it yourself, find someone who does it in your region. That's how I did it, chose my specs with a nerdy friend, went to this local PC custom builder and ordered it - bang one week later I have a sweetass rig which if I'd bought it with similar specs from the likes of Dell/HP,... would've easily cost me an extra 2oo to 300 euros

but for the love of god don't get alienware, their PCs are good ofcourse, but they are also total ripoffs, waaaaaay to pricey for what you get. For the price of an alienware you have a much better custom build. With 2500 pounds at your disposal you could get an insanely good custom build!!!

Custom build all the way, its not hard and you can pick all the parts to your need. i would never ever ever ever pay a shop to build it.

Oh and remember if you do build it, spend some good money on the MOBO, most people think putting a kick ass GPU will result in a super PC, not so.

I know its a little old now but ive a asus Rampage 11 extreme with 2 5970's, old gpu's i know, but my point is the Mobo is the heart of the machine and needs to be of a good quality and supplier.

overclockers.co.uk
scan.co.uk

good places to check out all the bits you need, and dont forget a good PSU as high end hardwaqre eats power, ive 1200w in mine

Custom build all the way, its not hard and you can pick all the parts to your need. i would never ever ever ever pay a shop to build it.

Oh and remember if you do build it, spend some good money on the MOBO, most people think putting a kick ass GPU will result in a super PC, not so.

I know its a little old now but ive a asus Rampage 11 extreme with 2 5970's, old gpu's i know, but my point is the Mobo is the heart of the machine and needs to be of a good quality and supplier.

overclockers.co.uk
scan.co.uk

good places to check out all the bits you need, and dont forget a good PSU as high end hardwaqre eats power, ive 1200w in mine

Thanks for the help and advice, :)

100% to go custom. You could build yourself an optimum rig for a lot less than your budget, nearly a grand less (depending how flash you want to go) and get a waaay better quality system in doing so, quality parts and have total satisfaction that you did it all yourself.

Seriously if you want any help with spec, let us know if there is anything you particularly want (Intel/Amd/Nvidia/Ati etc) and I/we can help you with it.

If you want someone to build it, Ill do it unless there is someone closer to you, no probs.

Custom buildng is the way to go to get the most out of your cash, especially when it comes to the 3rd party software (I hate the stuff). I bought myself an Alienware speced it to my liking and let them do the hard work I wasnt too worried about the cash as most of the time my pc's tend to die off after 2 years hard playing plus the result of dog fur flying about. So this time I took that 3 years warentee that they had totalled up an extra 350quid but knowing my past history it'll be worth it in the end.

Next time ill probably go back to custom building once this ones warentee has run its course, but at least I can say ive had an :pray:Alienware:pray:

P.S The case it comes with will live on forever in all my new builds!!!

I am just going to be repeating what has already been said, but have have different HP's and Dell's I want a gaming computer. I just started asking questions on on of the racing forums and got plenty of help. I then reseached the different components and once I had what I thought would work I posted my selection of the components upn the site and got a go for it. I have not regreated it. I found the big issue was a poper power supply, and a high end graphics card.

One thing to remember, no matter what you select, within a few months there will be bigger and better components out there.

100% to go custom. You could build yourself an optimum rig for a lot less than your budget, nearly a grand less (depending how flash you want to go) and get a waaay better quality system in doing so, quality parts and have total satisfaction that you did it all yourself.

Seriously if you want any help with spec, let us know if there is anything you particularly want (Intel/Amd/Nvidia/Ati etc) and I/we can help you with it.

If you want someone to build it, Ill do it unless there is someone closer to you, no probs.

Im a bit nervous about building it up myself as its about 10 years since I built a pc.

Have things become simpler since then or do you still have to set jumpers etc correctly.

I think i will take you up on your speccing out offer, will give you a shout closer the time.

By the way, where do you live.

What are your guys thoughts on water cooling, seems totally weird putting water anywhere near a pc, is it worth having and complicated to install.

The water cooling isnt an issue these days, I believe if there is a leak its not tap water its the same type of water used in photo copiers which means its non conductive.

Building them is as simple as 1/2/3 these days and installing software is alot easier than it used to be its practacally plug and play.

Yeh dont worry about building, its easier that you think.

here a couple ive done, the 1st is a little old and i have changed a few bits, GPU's and Mobo, Cpu , Ram infact all of but you get the idea.

49.07014.jpg newrig045.jpg

side_veiw.jpg
the wifes old PC

Im a bit nervous about building it up myself as its about 10 years since I built a pc.

Have things become simpler since then or do you still have to set jumpers etc correctly.

I think i will take you up on your speccing out offer, will give you a shout closer the time.

By the way, where do you live.

What are your guys thoughts on water cooling, seems totally weird putting water anywhere near a pc, is it worth having and complicated to install.

It would be a pleasure to help to spec / build your rig.
As for water cooling, I would only really consider doing this if you plan to seriously overclock or have a real issue with fan noises.

cooler.JPG (stock i7 cooler vs Noctua 'push/pull' cooler)

i7 chips run fairly hot as standard compared to core2duo and AMD chips - so if you were planning on taking one of those waaay beyond its native speed, then maybe water cooling would be worth thinking about, however, at this point in time, there is no need to overclock even an i7 930 like mine. And even then, you can take it up from 2.8 to 4ghz on air cooling, as long as you have a good cooler (not the stock one), and a decent sized case with good airflow. When I re-housed my rig from a pretty big Coolermaster to a massive Lian-Li case, the CPU temp dropped by a good 10degrees under torture testing, but thats what you get for a £200 case!

out.JPG empty.jpg(sky remote to scale).

Like Andrew has said, once you get the spec out of the way and all the parts are compatable, assembly really is almost plug in play today - although you do still need to be careful with what you are doing and there will be a few fiddly bits. If you do water cool, you would want to do it properly and remove the cooler fans from the graphics cards, this needs to be done right as I believe any warranty will be invalidated once you start doing this.

Im in newcastle, If I can be of any help - just give me a shout.

They look great.

Is the green tubing simply cable shrouds or does it contain water.

J

fluro green fluid......ive moved away from water atm, but gonna build a 2 two stage rig when i move to the UK in a month. 1stage for GPU'S and 2nd for CPU.

i dont overclock a huge amount i just hate fans. best thing to do is reaserch all the bits, after giving yourself a realistic budget and go from there, we can help with recomendations..

Oh i forgot to mention how pleasing it is to build your own.

I will echo those who have said to go with a custom build. If you are a bit sheepish about building yourself that is OK. I am not a PC expert but I recently did some major upgrades to mine and was done in one evening. The most important thing is to use a good case with cable management grommets.

Here are a couple of great assembly videos:

Here is what I would put together for a new build today:

CPU: Core i5 760

CPU cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 (only if you plan to Overclock)

Motherboard: MSI P55A-G55 (can do SLI or Xfire)

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333 or 1600MHz (lots to choose from)

PSU: Corsair 750W (enough juice for SLI or Xfire)

Single GPU: Nvidia 560Ti or 580 OR AMD 6870 or 6970

Dual GPU: 2xNvidia 560Ti OR 2xAMD 6870
(dual 580's or 6970's are a bit too expensive and overkill IMO)

Case: Fractal Design Define R3 or Define XL

Boot Drive: 40 or 60GB SSD

Storage: 1TB HDD​

Here in Canada from NCIX.com this would come in at around $1500 delivered.

This will get you to at least High settings in modern PC games. An i7 is overkill for gaming, but dual GPU's should guarantee Ultra settings and give you better longevity. Having the right motherboard and PSU will give you the option to add a 2nd card if you choose to go with a single GPU for now. Just remember that you must pair the same cards (eg. 2x 6950 or 2x560 and not 1x6870 and 1x6950).

tomshardware.com is a great site for doing research.

For gaming, water cooling is a bit of an overkill when it comes to performance. The advantage is your PC will be much quieter but I personally would not bother with water cooling unless I needed the performance as well. There are a lot of cases out there that have noise dampening features (the Define R3 and XL are two of them).

I will echo those who have said to go with a custom build. If you are a bit sheepish about building yourself that is OK. I am not a PC expert but I recently did some major upgrades to mine and was done in one evening. The most important thing is to use a good case with cable management grommets.

Here are a couple of great assembly videos:

Here is what I would put together for a new build today:

CPU: Core i5 760

CPU cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 (only if you plan to Overclock)

Motherboard: MSI P55A-G55 (can do SLI or Xfire)

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333 or 1600MHz (lots to choose from)

PSU: Corsair 750W (enough juice for SLI or Xfire)

Single GPU: Nvidia 560Ti or 580 OR AMD 6870 or 6970

Dual GPU: 2xNvidia 560Ti OR 2xAMD 6870
(dual 580's or 6970's are a bit too expensive and overkill IMO)

Case: Fractal Design Define R3 or Define XL

Boot Drive: 40 or 60GB SSD

Storage: 1TB HDD​

Here in Canada from NCIX.com this would come in at around $1500 delivered.

This will get you to at least High settings in modern PC games. An i7 is overkill for gaming, but dual GPU's should guarantee Ultra settings and give you better longevity. Having the right motherboard and PSU will give you the option to add a 2nd card if you choose to go with a single GPU for now. Just remember that you must pair the same cards (eg. 2x 6950 or 2x560 and not 1x6870 and 1x6950).

tomshardware.com is a great site for doing research.

For gaming, water cooling is a bit of an overkill when it comes to performance. The advantage is your PC will be much quieter but I personally would not bother with water cooling unless I needed the performance as well. There are a lot of cases out there that have noise dampening features (the Define R3 and XL are two of them).

Thanks for the great reply :)

J

It would be a pleasure to help to spec / build your rig.
As for water cooling, I would only really consider doing this if you plan to seriously overclock or have a real issue with fan noises.

View attachment 34916 (stock i7 cooler vs Noctua 'push/pull' cooler)

i7 chips run fairly hot as standard compared to core2duo and AMD chips - so if you were planning on taking one of those waaay beyond its native speed, then maybe water cooling would be worth thinking about, however, at this point in time, there is no need to overclock even an i7 930 like mine. And even then, you can take it up from 2.8 to 4ghz on air cooling, as long as you have a good cooler (not the stock one), and a decent sized case with good airflow. When I re-housed my rig from a pretty big Coolermaster to a massive Lian-Li case, the CPU temp dropped by a good 10degrees under torture testing, but thats what you get for a £200 case!

View attachment 34914 View attachment 34915(sky remote to scale).

Like Andrew has said, once you get the spec out of the way and all the parts are compatable, assembly really is almost plug in play today - although you do still need to be careful with what you are doing and there will be a few fiddly bits. If you do water cool, you would want to do it properly and remove the cooler fans from the graphics cards, this needs to be done right as I believe any warranty will be invalidated once you start doing this.

Im in newcastle, If I can be of any help - just give me a shout.

Thanks for your help paul, great input

j

Just hold on for another month. You really want a new Sandybridge processor and new ASUS p67 mobo, but intel are recalling them at the moment for a sata flaw. Wait a month and get a Sandybridge CPU (i7 2600). It will blow this game out of the weeds when tooled up with a hybrid ssd/sata Hard drive and a single amd 6970 gpu and 8 gig ram (its cheaper and more beneficial) with Win 7, a 700 watt good make psu and a nice case and Blu-ray combo with 24" Full HD monitor. Forget water cooling, you don't need it. Trust me. I build gaming pc's.

I have just tested one I built last week. All games on full HD at full max graphics, no problem. Forget sli or crossfire, too much hassle for not much reward. The above setup will be good enough for all current and most future games for the foreseeable future.

Just hold on for another month. You really want a new Sandybridge processor and new ASUS p67 mobo, but intel are recalling them at the moment for a sata flaw. Wait a month and get a Sandybridge CPU (i7 2600). It will blow this game out of the weeds when tooled up with a hybrid ssd/sata Hard drive and a single amd 6970 gpu and 8 gig ram (its cheaper and more beneficial) with Win 7, a 700 watt good make psu and a nice case and Blu-ray combo with 24" Full HD monitor. Forget water cooling, you don't need it. Trust me. I build gaming pc's.

I have just tested one I built last week. All games on full HD at full max graphics, no problem. Forget sli or crossfire, too much hassle for not much reward. The above setup will be good enough for all current and most future games for the foreseeable future.

We will have to wait till april for the fixed sandybridge sata-300 ports Intel has announced. Some factories have even requested the continuation of the defected chipset. Intel has agreed on that as long as the factories do not use the sata-300 ports.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 351 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 488 39.2%