Can any IRL kart drivers offer feedback about AMS?

I'm trying to get out to VIR some time after the beginning of next year to get some time on track with their rental karts, which they say can get up around 50 mph. I'm having to save up because it's a long drive out there and I'd like to buy at least a couple of hours of time to make it worth my while. If anyone with real-world experience could offer me any feedback about the realism of the karts in AMS, and what things I should be aware of in regards to any shortcomings in the sim which I should take into account, then I'd be grateful.

only did rentals but karts are hard to compare ... to me biggest difference is feel ... IRL so much is felt through body, it is so direct that it is probably harderst 'car' to do in sim to feel right .... you`ll notice that it is sooo much easier to drive, go decently fast, slide in real life, not cause of physics but cause of feel .. if you are worried that you wont be able to drive it and enjoy it don`t .. you have a lot mechanical grip and you have a lot of feel what kart is doing ... you`ll be fine ...

I'm trying to get out to VIR some time after the beginning of next year to get some time on track with their rental karts, which they say can get up around 50 mph. I'm having to save up because it's a long drive out there and I'd like to buy at least a couple of hours of time to make it worth my while. If anyone with real-world experience could offer me any feedback about the realism of the karts in AMS, and what things I should be aware of in regards to any shortcomings in the sim which I should take into account, then I'd be grateful.
I only went karting 3 times in my life, last time was 3 years ago so I can only trust my memory.
In my opinion the Karts in AMS are really good! The only problem is that you don't feel the full chassis as mentioned above.
In real life the Kart feels like endless amounts of grip! But it's snappy as in AMS.

So you can definitely practice in AMS! :)

Only things to know:
- the steering is HEAVY in real life! You really feel how you turn the tires against the grip!
- you will be able to feel the earliest beginning of a slide!
- you probably won't spin in real life!
- but you have to be careful because the actual spin comes faster than you'd like!

Hope that helps :)
I wish you a lot of fun and I'm sure you will have a great time!!

PS: your whole body will hurt after it because the seat has absolutely NO dampening! Wear a thick pullover or something for dampening! :)

I usually to race monthly on Kartódromo Ayrton Senna (Interlagos) and the rental kart in AMS is very similar to the ones we race there.

What I can say is that is much more easier IRL than in AMS. You really feel everything that is going on with the kart. The speed, the brakes power, how much you need to turn the wheel, all is exatly the same on AMS, but in the sim is very hard to feel that you are on the limit and let the car slip exactly how much you want.

On the other hand, race in real life is much much more tiring! After a 30 minutes race (5 min qualy, 25 min race) I'm exhausted!

Yep ...last time I had bruised ribs for 2 months :) just from hard turns .... I'm 193cm with rib cage sized according to my height so seat was bit small for me and I only had shirt .

If you have hour you will probably cut it to few smaller stunts as you'll see that 15 minutes of hard driving on more complex track is not like 5 hours on sim :) but you'll have so much fun you would always wanna more :)

Last edited:
Got my own little Rotax engined 125cc kart that l run over in Spain.:)
Although you'll never be able to recreate the feel through your bum or the sheer brutality of the forces going through your arms and body on super sticky mojo tires, (a rib cage protector is a must) or the way that you can shift your weight to aid cornering. I will say that l really enjoy the karts in AMS as it teaches you good lines, braking points, turn in points where to put down or balance the power that all other karting sims (mods) to my mind just don't convey, l find it to be a really good training tool:)

I actually posted over at Reiza's development page about the physics as they're reasonably close but not quite there...

I also have rotax max 125cc, and I said on the thread that the physics they've developed are a little too punishing, when raced correctly it literally is a form of drifting. Now that could be down to the mojo tyre compounds used in our class, but you pitch the kart into a small sideways drift as you enter the corners, control it and ease the throttle on progressively otherwise the engines tend to bog down. The physics Reiza have developed now are more in line with an indoor kart where if you slide sideways ALL momentum is lost, outdoor karts you can slide, hold and still keep most of your speed throughout the corner with little to no risk of bogging down.

Also another tip, if you want more feeling, ffb wise, reverse the steering settings from - to + or visa versa. My ffb for the karts was originally -60, and it seemed to grab and snap (obviously this DOES NOT happen in real life) so I reversed the ffb and hey presto it was much better, there was no snapping or pulling off the wheel in my hands, it was pushing against me, as it does in real life.

And yes, in real life the steering is heavy as hell, and after a weekend of qualifying and racing you will feel like you've gone ten rounds with Mike Tyson. I've broken my ribs countless times when I thought I could get away without wearing my trusty carbon fibre rib protector!

Well, karting in AMS it's really good, comparing to the real life. Only two importants things are the obvious lack of feeling of the kart in the body (irl, the FFB it's in your ass basically), and the completely diferent real axle. In that sense, KRP simulates it better, as you can feel how the chassis flexes under braking and cornering, wich allows you to "drift" the kart. Also, something that none sim could simulate properly it's the grip of the back under braking. Apart from the real axle, AMS works great, specially on cornering, and the sense of grip over the kerbs.

well Im away from home, can`t test so I`m not really gonna argue :) never had inverted FFB with karts but for regular cars it is just bad .. inverted forces on you wheel, car will steer to the side instead of SAT keeping it straight .. I would be much surprised if for karts it is different ... but hey, if it works for ya, good for you :) anyway OP can try it by himself

well Im away from home, can`t test so I`m not really gonna argue :) never had inverted FFB with karts but for regular cars it is just bad .. inverted forces on you wheel, car will steer to the side instead of SAT keeping it straight .. I would be much surprised if for karts it is different ... but hey, if it works for ya, good for you :) anyway OP can try it by himself
Oh yeah, I totally agree. It destroys the immersion/experience with the other cars, but oddly fixes the karts. Try when to you get home

Have you tried inverting it yet? What wheel are you running? I'm running a fanatec V2.

you have fanatec V2 and running negatie values (-100 being maximum strength) right ? cause if so that is the correct way, not inverted ... if I`m not mistaken in isi based engines Fanatecs is just as Logitech runnig inverted FFB so negative values are the right way to have it and by using positive values you invert the FFB .... that would explain it :)

Normally I run negative values but with the go karts I want positive values, if that makes sense.
It makes sense logically!
But how in earth do you drive straight with it? Didn't test it for karts but with normal cars the wheel will pull to one side or another, constantly DEcentering when I just want to drive a straight line.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back