Can ACC resolve scaling the GUI for 4K display?

Appreciate that ACC has the new Unreal engine and all the new and enhanced features announced for the game. But I would really like them to sort out the GUI scaling issues I'm having.

I run W10 and have sort help and advice from Microsoft, my TV manuafcturer and most sim-racing forums (this one included), none of which are able to sort the small icons either on the welcome menu or in-race apps. Some menu icons can be enlarged but not the important ones in-race. I truly don't think it's a devs nightmare to resolve. It's so frustrating.

Unreal engine really has nothing to do with that. It's on the developer to make UI scale properly. AC just wasn't conceived with very large resolutions like 4K and up in mind. With an entirely new UI I'm guessing ACC will deal with that much better.

I have no problems with 4k and AC, but then I have a proportionally larger screen.

The problem you have is an extremely low-dpi screen, not high resolution.

I suppose you can fix most of the in-game display by running all icons and icon elements, and maybe fonts(?) through ImageMagick or G'MIC.

My DPI settings are set at 300% with only one option more at 350%. I remember trying this in the past but with similar results to what I have now: small in race icons whereas menu icons are huge.

Dumb question: do you think Oculus has anything to do with this? I would think not but can't think of anything else

• Deleted member 197115

Not windows dpi scaling settings, screen dpi.
See no issues using 100% scaling. But if you have small screen or sit too far, native dpi scaling could be too small I'd guess.

@Andrew_WOT I hate and love this screenshot. Love it because, yes, it's the same as mine. Indeed I'm kind of used to seeing things this way now. I'm in a good place in terms of screen size vs seating position. I hate it because before 4K the icons were bigger. Thanks for all your efforts on trying to sort this for me. I know understand it's not just me. There's always workarounds but I was hoping/expecting more. The TV, graphics card, PC set I have I believe is right up there with a good set up, so I thought perhaps it was AC. Most fixes posted just state to ignore the windows settings, which is OK for menus, but guess what, I think those are too large lol. Thanks again for your help.

• Deleted member 197115

So it's not settings then, well at least we are on the same page. Some Kunos and aftermarket apps support scaling, at least you can utilize that. Like Sidekick for example, it was too small for me but it has scaling setting in config menu, other apps have sizing arrows on app bar, not all though.

If you right click the game .exe file and select Properties, you can set some DPI scaling options under "Change high DPI settings" on Compatibility tab. Have you tried tinkering with these? Remember that AC has two executables, though, one for the launcher and one for the game itself.

I have no way to test it myself as I don't own a 4K display (or high DPI one)

I have no way to test it myself as I don't own a 4K display (or high DPI one)

Anyone can test this, or should at least be able to... so long as you have a gpu made within the last ~8 yrs or so.

You can enable Nvidia's DSR feature, or AMD's VSR feature to run the game at a higher resolution than what your monitor supports. So, you can run any game at 1440p or 4k even if you only have a 1080p display.

The scaling issues that arise though are quite annoying. I would have liked to play AC at 4k, but it makes all the HUD and GUI stuff incredibly small and hard to read. AC isnt the only game with that issue though.

Running some workaround to get a feature to function properly shouldnt be necessary though. Given the time period that some of these games come from though, I think it's understandable that they dont support high resolutions well, since these werent used standards way back. Hopefully now though in 2018, higher resolutions will receive better support for things like UI scaling.

(Yeah, I know there are ways to test it, but they're not always reliable - as in you might not see the same issues a true high DPI user might, and using DSR in particular is annoying if you have some custom resolutions added, as with nVidia, it's either custom resolution functionality or DSR.)

I'll take a look at the exe file settings. Although I'm getting used to it now and would probably need to create a note or something that I can reset if it comes out worse lol. I do agree with one post that mentions game release before 4k and that newer games such as ACC should not have the issue - let's wait and see, thanks all.

@CobraCat, nah, tried that. All that does is make the menu icons huuuuuuuge! This is OK but it means I have to scroll for basic things. As someone has said, it happens for a lot of users and not others. It seems to be something with the game. I'm sure ACC will be OK (as PC2 is). Thanks all the same

• Deleted member 197115

Did you try suggestion in post#14, this way you can match AC hud to your Windows Dpi settings.

Hi Andrew, yep! Tried it. Just the same: massive menu icons, tiny in race icons. Anyway, I'm used to it now. It is strange though how some people with 4k displays are not effected, others can find fixes, then people like me where nothing works. Really appreciate the suggestions, thanks.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back