Campo Grande and AI in general question

I was trying a race at Campo Grande today in the V8's. I had the AI turned down to 94% and they were mostly running in the 1.26.5-8's at the front. The best I could muster was a 1.26.9 on 1 lap. I'm not a great driver but not horrible either. On some of the tracks are AI just too fast to be realistic? I saw that the V8 cars don't race there so I do not know what a realistic time for the track is. My question is, on some of the tracks are the AI cars just crazy fast especially if no real life time for the car in question is known or do I just need to figure out how to drive the track?

I find the AI a bit inconsistent in that they can be perfect one track, then super quick the next, then a bit slow the next. I make sure I've learnt the track first and I am consistent, then I modify the AI strength to match, to be a challenge.

Also feedback on generally if the AI is too fast at certain AI levels at certain track/car combinations is welcome, however getting enough data to show what is right and tweaking this can be complex to get consistent results

hey alex! maybe it would be better to use a higher density and also slightly bigger (lets say 1%) than the real car dimension, in all axes, collision model? from my experience in that way AI to AI collisions are decreased too

most if not all ai in sims run a different set of physics to the player. that's why puttuing the AI on a really high difficulty doesn't make authentic AI, just makes them silly fast on straights.

To clear up a few of the questions:

1- We try to balance the AI as much as possible so theyre consistent track-to-track, car-to-car, so that if for example you´re a 100% strentgh level driver, that will be your setting throughout. It´s a hard balance to reach though and there certainly are some inconsistencies still.

One of the reasons it´s a tricky challenge however is that it´s hard to pinpoint where the inconsistencies are from the AI performance itself, and where it is from the player himself being inconsistent - faster on given tracks or given cars than in others. In this case it could be AI performance is indeed off at Campo Grande, but it could also be you need to practice more / find a better setup in that track. It requires a lot of collective testing to figure that out so the more feedback we gather, the easier it is to pinpoint where there might still be problems.

2- The collision "warping" issue on wheel-to-wheel contact is probably related to the simplified collision model for the wheels, Not much can be done there.

3- The AI physics is for the most part same as the player´s, except for some AI-specific multipliers & simplified models for tires in particular, both for the sake of performance as well as balancing / stabilizing AI driving.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 167 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 320 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 449 39.2%