Buying advice please - Next Level v3 Motion Platform

I'm looking for some advice and thoughts of other owners or people with good knowledge of the product, please.

I always said I'd buy myself a motion simulator if I could afford one and had the room available. Well, that day may have arrived. I'm impressed by what I've seen of the Next Level v3 Motion Platform

This seems to meet all my criteria:

+ Limited space requirements, I don't have room for a huge sim rig but this seems compact enough to work.
+ Works with Oculus Rift VR, that fixed head position setting solution is impressive
+ Great support and regular updates from the developers
+ Available in the UK
+ Works with my current Thrustmaster wheel and accessories.
+ Sub £3k for the full setup, I'm not a pro racer I'm not looking for a practice simulator this is just for fun so the cost/fun balance has to be right.

So help me do the man maths! Is it worth it?

Is there another similar product I should also look at? It would need to be reasonably compact, work with VR, available in the UK without too much hassle and in the same £3-5K price range.

Is there anywhere I can try one or even better several of the systems in the UK?

Hello. I just bought a NLR Motion v3 and it will arrive in a few days. I'm looking for some tips and help on setting it up. Here's my current setup:

wozQeun.jpg

I'm planning on getting an actual cockpit in 3-6 months but, for now, should I just add more plywood to the pedal base and extend it all the way out, then bolt the NLM v3 to the plywood base/floor, and finally bolt a racing seat to the NLM v3 and I'll be ready to rock n roll?

P.S. Any recommendations on a cheap seat that'll quickly do the job?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello. I just bought a NLR Motion v3 and it will arrive in a few days. I'm looking for some tips and help on setting it up. Here's my current setup:

wozQeun.jpg

I'm planning on getting an actual cockpit in 3-6 months but, for now, should I just add more plywood to the pedal base and extend it all the way out, then bolt the NLM v3 to the plywood base/floor, and finally bolt a racing seat to the NLM v3 and I'll be ready to rock n roll?

Yep, that should work, but ideally it'd be mounted in a sturdy cockpit frame. The forces from the NLV3 are quite strong. Edit: you obviously need to mount the NLV3 on brackets, raised up slightly by say 30mm to let air flow to the fans underneath. Do NOT just rest it on the floor or on the plywood base.

Best bet for a cheap seat might be a car seat from a local junkyard if it's just to keep you racing for 3-6 months before buying the proper cockpit, which (depending which one you choose) might come with its own seat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yep, that should work, but ideally it'd be mounted in a sturdy cockpit frame. The forces from the NLV3 are quite strong. Edit: you obviously need to mount the NLV3 on brackets, raised up slightly by say 30mm to let air flow to the fans underneath. Do NOT just rest it on the floor or on the plywood base.

Best bet for a cheap seat might be a car seat from a local junkyard if it's just to keep you racing for 3-6 months before buying the proper cockpit, which (depending which one you choose) might come with its own seat.
Oh, so the NLM v3 isn't already built with the clearence it needs in the design? I have to buy brackets to mount it? What about the brackets it comes with?

Upvote 0

wozQeun.jpg

I love how ghetto that setup is! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
All done :) thanks for your help Steve D and Mascot! I may well end up painting the aluminium black but I was too impatient and had to set this baby up. Once everything was turned down it started to feel great. Any ideas where I can get some good rFactor2 settings?

NVL3_P1.jpg
NVL3_P1_2.jpg

Upvote 0
I love how ghetto that setup is! :thumbsup:
Hahah thanks bro. Other than the front of the chair lifting under braking, it's rock solid. It's a corner desk I found for like $30 on Craigslist which worked awesome for my old Thrust T500RS and Fana CSW v2.0 but I didn't want to take any chances with my large Mige so I bought a 3/4" (1.9cm) piece of plywood and glued and screwed the heck out of it on my desk which really makes it solid. Then, I realized my wheel was too low so I added a second piece of 3/4" plywood just around the motor's area. It's very solid.

Other than the chair lifting uner braking, it doesn't move or flex it all. It's an old-school square-tubed "chrome" chair. Very solid. The chair lifting isn't ideal though as it can mess with your braking pressure on loadcell brakes.

Upvote 0
Hahah thanks bro. Other than the front of the chair lifting under braking, it's rock solid. It's a corner desk I found for like $30 on Craigslist which worked awesome for my old Thrust T500RS and Fana CSW v2.0 but I didn't want to take any chances with my large Mige so I bought a 3/4" (1.9cm) piece of plywood and glued and screwed the heck out of it on my desk which really makes it solid. Then, I realized my wheel was too low so I added a second piece of 3/4" plywood just around the motor's area. It's very solid.

Other than the chair lifting uner braking, it doesn't move or flex it all. It's an old-school square-tubed "chrome" chair. Very solid. The chair lifting isn't ideal though as it can mess with your braking pressure on loadcell brakes.
Holy crap, there's a large mige DDW in there somewhere? Didn't spot that.
They don't make desks like they used to!

Upvote 0
That setup is completely ghetto but I love how there is DD in there so no one can sh*t talk it!

In all seriousness, I would have invested into a decent chassis (not knocking that one, though) before the motion platform. But besides that, you definitely need a decent seat because you are going to lose all the information sent from the platform if your sitting on a dining chair. A cheap car seat, preferably bucket, would be a great starting point. I am not sure if I have the old brackets to the V3 that I used with the cockpit it came with, but if I do you can have them. Just pay the postage. I am pretty sure I gave them to the guy that bought the cockpit, however.

@Ecstreme check out my thread on V3 settings. Start with them and tune them down if necessary either via the Gain slider in post processing tab, or the Overall slider in the settings tab. Recommend Gain slider first, then go from there. I have found what @Mascot did that the feeling is increased with the GT1 chassis and will be assessing the profiles over the weekend.

Upvote 0
Got a new AV Receiver sorted now and Nvidia have just announced there won’t be any new GPU’s for a long time, there goes any PC upgrade ideas too so guess what’s next on my to buy list....

I’ll put the savings aside to buy after summer when it’s cooler, though I’ll probably end up getting it earlier if the moneys there waiting :redface:.

Upvote 0
Got a new AV Receiver sorted now and Nvidia have just announced there won’t be any new GPU’s for a long time, there goes any PC upgrade ideas too so guess what’s next on my to buy list....

I’ll put the savings aside to buy after summer when it’s cooler, though I’ll probably end up getting it earlier if the moneys there waiting :redface:.

Hmmm... are they trying to sell more 10 series? Is it an elaborate business strategy? Its been a while and I’m ready for some more delicious supersampling on my VR HMD :D

Upvote 0
Hmmm... are they trying to sell more 10 series? Is it an elaborate business strategy? Its been a while and I’m ready for some more delicious supersampling on my VR HMD :D
Here is the quote from Guru3D:
Jensen Huang was asked when gamers can expect a Volta based GeForce card or whatever it'll be called, he answered that prices of the existing Pascal video cards had dropped to a regular level for some time and that gamers could again buy a GeForce GTX 1070, 1080 or 1080 Ti, saying that they were the best video cards that you as a gamer can buy.

Another editor asked for a small hint on the topic, Huang answered. "Do not worry, I will invite you", followed by "It'll be a long time from now”.

But basically yeh they’re going to keep milking the 10 series so I’ll just stick to my 980Ti since neither can do max settings in the sims with SS or 4K/60fps max settings on the newest games.

If I’m going to have to compromise either way it’s not worth upgrading.

Upvote 0

How are prices and availability right now? Do Amazon have stock?

Upvote 0
How are prices and availability right now? Do Amazon have stock?
Amazon still OOS but Box and even Curry’s now have them at £2300.

Of course he is going to say that right up until they drop the new cards. Wouldn't expect anything else from those snakes...
Ha, yeh well it’s backfired because now I’m just going to wait until the next-gen VR headsets release because I’m used to not being able to run max settings and stopped caring.

Upvote 0
Holy crap, there's a large mige DDW in there somewhere? Didn't spot that.
They don't make desks like they used to!

That setup is completely ghetto but I love how there is DD in there so no one can sh*t talk it!

In all seriousness, I would have invested into a decent chassis (not knocking that one, though) before the motion platform. But besides that, you definitely need a decent seat because you are going to lose all the information sent from the platform if your sitting on a dining chair. A cheap car seat, preferably bucket, would be a great starting point. I am not sure if I have the old brackets to the V3 that I used with the cockpit it came with, but if I do you can have them. Just pay the postage. I am pretty sure I gave them to the guy that bought the cockpit, however.

@Ecstreme check out my thread on V3 settings. Start with them and tune them down if necessary either via the Gain slider in post processing tab, or the Overall slider in the settings tab. Recommend Gain slider first, then go from there. I have found what @Mascot did that the feeling is increased with the GT1 chassis and will be assessing the profiles over the weekend.
Hahaha, yes there's definitely an OSW lurking in those pics.
The rig is pretty-much rock solid, no movement, flex, or noise. Check it out:

So can I get away with just buying either of these for now?"
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/70200/10002/-1
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/70250/10002/-1

If I can just do that, then the next question is: other than the seat cover which I'll definitely buy, do I need either of these?:
Stationary Pedestal Seat Mount Brackets w/ Tilt Adjustment
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/70225/10002/-1
Seat Mount Slider Brackets Dual Locking
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/70220/10002/-1

My NLM v3 has arrived and I'm very eager to get it setup and therefore want to get a quick, cheap seat that'll do the job for now. I like these because they're cheap, simple, and very light (10-15 pounds).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hahaha, yes there's definitely an OSW lurking in those pics.
The rig is pretty-much rock solid, no movement, flex, or noise. Check it out:

So can I get away with just buying either of these for now?"
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/70200/10002/-1
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/70250/10002/-1

If I can just do that, then the next question is: other than the seat cover which I'll definitely buy, do I need either of these?:
Stationary Pedestal Seat Mount Brackets w/ Tilt Adjustment
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/70225/10002/-1
Seat Mount Slider Brackets Dual Locking
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/70220/10002/-1

My NLM v3 has arrived and I'm very eager to get it setup and therefore want to get a quick, cheap seat that'll do the job for now. I like these because they're cheap, simple, and very light (10-15 pounds).
Those seats will certainly do the trick if you can attach them OK - the lighter the better..!
I can't believe those prices!

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 121 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 163 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 308 27.6%