Buy Simucube 2 Pro o DD1/DD2?

Hello, I have the Fanatec CSW V2.5 and I would like to know if it is worth changing and I will notice the change very much compared to a Direct Drive. Within the options, what do you recommend? The Fanatec DD1 or DD2 or the Simucube 2 Pro? Money doesn't matter, I prefer quality, thank you! I only have the rim of the BMW GT2 that I would sell with the base, that would not matter haha

Last edited:
I've bought sim components from both fanatec and SC2 component retailers in multiple countries, this magical "30% tax" is not something i have ever heard of anyone having to pay, and it's seems like largely a niche issue with shipping to where you live. When you give advice adding a fake number that doesn't apply to anyone but you, that's disingenuous.

Here's the kicker, I bought both while living in Europe when I built my first rig, the DD2 and the SC2 were the exact same price. The SC2+VAT in europe is 1500, which is the same price as the DD2. This is the case for nearly everyone on the planet, I have never heard of some magical 30% addition fee on top of vat. You are either misinformed or lying.

Also, the fanatec environment wheels all come compatible out of the box with the DD2, so claiming the podium hub is something you are forced to buy with the DD2 is ridiculous.

You also clearly stated your motive above, you said you currently own a DD2 and are getting a SC2.You clearly have bias here. Since any rational and informed person would know that the SC2 Pro and the DD2 are extremely similarly priced for the vast majority of people on the planet we call home, then why now just discuss the merits and performance of the base, rather than personal experience that seems to only apply to you?
Not all countries charge VAT lol
so at the checkout if they do not take the VAT you pay it at the customs when it is imported,
I do believe the correct terminology is "Import Duty" and this is global its nothing new,
I am not here to make up fake stories or news not sure what kind of conspiracy theories you are used to where you live but this is a nice friendly forum we all share out thoughts and advice but we do so in a kind manor,
this keep calling me a liar, saying I have motives, spreading dangerous rumors needs to stop,

can we not be civil, why can you not use words like,
sorry maybe you was misinformed for me this was not the case and so on,

there is 0 need to be vulgar or offensive unless this is your nature but this is up to you but its not welcome here sadly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
this keep calling me a liar

You are lying and being disingenuous, though.

You are the one that took your personal circumstances and then stated them without your personal context when comparing the price point of the two.

For the vast, vast majority of people the podium bases do not come with a 30% additional cost that the SC2 retailers are immune to, stating otherwise is just being misleading. Using your personal circumstances without qualifying them and then speaking on the economics of the choice is, in my opinion, being deceitful.

If, hypothetically, I lived on an island that suddenly put a tariff on items from smaller companies meaning I had to pay 30% more to import a SC2, I wouldn't claim the SC2 is a less economical choice because of it. I would realize from being in the community that for the overwhelming majority of users my situation wouldn't be a factor.

It's that kind of rhetoric that really hinders good and meaningful discussion, and thinking your post count makes you immune to it is pretty weird, tbh.

Before you came along saying that the DD1/2 is "4-5x the cost" people in this thread were laying out good and useful insights having owned both products.

Upvote 0
You are lying and being disingenuous, though.

You are the one that took your personal circumstances and then stated them without your personal context when comparing the price point of the two.

For the vast, vast majority of people the podium bases do not come with a 30% additional cost that the SC2 retailers are immune to, stating otherwise is just being misleading. Using your personal circumstances without qualifying them and then speaking on the economics of the choice is, in my opinion, being deceitful.

If, hypothetically, I lived on an island that suddenly put a tariff on items from smaller companies meaning I had to pay 30% more to import a SC2, I wouldn't claim the SC2 is a less economical choice because of it. I would realize from being in the community that for the overwhelming majority of users my situation wouldn't be a factor.

It's that kind of rhetoric that really hinders good and meaningful discussion, and thinking your post count makes you immune to it is pretty weird, tbh.

Before you came along saying that the DD1/2 is "4-5x the cost" people in this thread were laying out good and useful insights having owned both products.
You had an issue before I mentioned the prices or import duties which was not even mentioned in my 1st post was it ?
clearly it wasn't and clearly you still had issues,
regardless of any VAT charges if its 30% or 3000% makes 0 difference to the core fundamental costs of the base products which I clearly stated in my 1st post in this thread,

I asked you once kindly not to call me a liar I will simply report the comments its not welcome here,
VAT will be mainly inside the European Union on all these products,
Will from Boosted Media paid 900$ Import Duty tax on his SC Ultimate you calling him a liar also ? he is from Australia,
any country outside the EU will be accountable for some kind of taxes or import taxes its a very common practice and nothing unusual at all,

lets agree to disagree if that makes you happy I highly doubt the great community here wants to wake up and come and read this nonsense in this thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TedBrosby-

Premium
What a lot of users fail to see and even myself until the past few days or so,
is that the SC2 is roughly the same price as the DD1 on average around 1200 euros,

but with the SC bases you get the quick release system actually sent with the base models + you can buy extra adapters really cheap around 50-55 euro each so adding 4-5-6 wheels the total extra outlay is just around 300-350 euros + some postage,

with the DD1 of 1200 euros to get the exact same functionality out the box I mean 100% identical functionality you need the Podium Hub + the kill switch which again is instantly another 300 euros + adding extra wheels Fanatec do not offer no cheap quick release QR so adding the same exact 4-5-6 wheels buying 6x podium hubs makes 0 sense either its 1000,s$ extra,

I was searching a few days back for some quick release maybe 2-3hrs on and off and I couldnt find any anywhere at all,
50mm QIR like gold dust wheel side it seems also the 70mm and base side hard to find,

Simlabs do a unit but its all 1 unit around 150+ euros so again buying 5-6 of these makes 0 sense at all,
just feels to me but once you are inside this Eco system Fanatec created its just too expensive to keep adding wheels for the after market stuff,

after this experience in the end I bought a Cube Controls universal Q1R base side and 6x wheel side adapters + a SC2 Pro and a RSB wireless wheel, even after selling my DD2 my Podium Hub, SRM hub, Xbox universal Hub + the refund I took on some more products ill have money left in my pocket + a new wheel,

Again this is something a lot of people overlook including myself, I dont have Fanatec pedals or shifters or handbrake mine are all HE Sprints and HE shifters/Handbrake and such,

Then we move to the bases and software I have no experience with this at all,
is the DD2 better than the SC2 ? 90% of all comments I ever read say so but ill decide myself later,

but comparing apples for apples price wise the Simucube + upgrades at 4-5x cheaper cost wins the day for me every single time.
Everything you've just stated is super subjective and misleadingly written to muddy the facts.
You don't NEED to use a Cube Controls wheel on Fanatec.
And there are alternatives to podium hub. SimRacingMachines offers a convertor for 126€.

Anyone buying a DD1 or Podium F1 is doing so knowing that the most affordable/convenient wheels are within the Fanatec ecosystem.
Also, SC2 is much more expensive than Fanatec in general if you want wireless wheels. Each wheel you need a wheelside kit and Fanatec comes with the quick release compatibility for every wheel stock. And the wheels themselves are more expensive despite offering less features (no analog clutches or RPM gauges or LED displays).

No one buys an SC2 because it's "cheaper" than Fanatec. Almost everyone buys it because they are willing to pay more for better build quality, smoother FFB. But anyone who tries to say SC2 is a better "value" than Fanatec is lying or being misleading. Because that's a false statement.

My BB Ultra was $600 shipped to Japan and it was the cheapest wireless wheel with 28 functions I could find. For that price I can get a Fanatec Formula V2 with APM, two sets of magnetic shifters, two analog clutch paddles, 3 dialers, 2 thumb encoders, 2x 2-way flip switches, a ton of buttons and RPM/LED display.
In fact, after adding the quick release wheel side kit to the Ascher Racing F28SC, combined with imports and shipping, I can buy a Porsche Podium Endurance wheel complete.

Sorry but as a former SC2 Pro owner, I think everything you wrote was super biased to try to make Fanatec seem more expensive. Seriously, six podium hubs? If you have to use such an extreme example, it's pointless to talk to you because that sort of stance is not done in good faith.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You had an issue before I mentioned the prices or import duties which was not even mentioned in my 1st post was it ?
clearly it wasn't and clearly you still had issues,
regardless of any VAT charges if its 30% or 3000% makes 0 difference to the core fundamental costs of the base products which I clearly stated in my 1st post in this thread,

I asked you once kindly not to call me a liar I will simply report the comments its not welcome here,
VAT will be mainly inside the European Union on all these products,
Will from Boosted Media paid 900$ Import Duty tax on his SC Ultimate you calling him a liar also ? he is from Australia,
any country outside the EU will be accountable for some kind of taxes or import taxes its a very common practice and nothing unusual at all,

lets agree to disagree if that makes you happy I highly doubt the great community here wants to wake up and come and read this nonsense in this thread.

1. Will from boosted media doesn't claim the fanatec is more expensive, in-fact he always comments about the affordability of the fanatec envrironment. He does not lie.

2. I will stop calling you a liar when you stop doing it. I am not trying to be vulgar or rude, i just want people in the simracing community to be able to make informed decisions, i am of the opinion that your presence in this thread is hindering that.

You keep doing this, appealing to the community as if you think having more posts than me makes you immune to being corrected, that appears to not be the case.

The SC2 is already the better equipment I don't understand the need to build a false reality where magically the fanatec is orders of magnitude more expensive. Like Ted said, you're acting in bad faith and when there is no need.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Everything you've just stated is super subjective and misleadingly written to muddy the facts.
You don't NEED to use a Cube Controls wheel on Fanatec.
And there are alternatives to podium hub. SimRacingMachines offers a convertor for 126€.

Anyone buying a DD1 or Podium F1 is doing so knowing that the most affordable/convenient wheels are within the Fanatec ecosystem.
Also, SC2 is much more expensive than Fanatec in general if you want wireless wheels. Each wheel you need a wheelside kit and Fanatec comes with the quick release compatibility for every wheel stock. And the wheels themselves are more expensive despite offering less features (no analog clutches or RPM gauges or LED displays).

No one buys an SC2 because it's "cheaper" than Fanatec. Almost everyone buys it because they are willing to pay more for better build quality, smoother FFB. But anyone who tries to say SC2 is a better "value" than Fanatec is lying or being misleading. Because that's a false statement.

My BB Ultra was $600 shipped to Japan and it was the cheapest wireless wheel with 28 functions I could find. For that price I can get a Fanatec Formula V2 with APM, two sets of magnetic shifters, two analog clutch paddles, 3 dialers, 2 thumb encoders, 2x 2-way flip switches, a ton of buttons and RPM/LED display.
In fact, after adding the quick release wheel side kit to the Ascher Racing F28SC, combined with imports and shipping, I can buy a Porsche Podium Endurance wheel complete.

Sorry but as a former SC2 Pro owner, I think everything you wrote was super biased to try to make Fanatec seem more expensive. Seriously, six podium hubs? If you have to use such an extreme example, it's pointless to talk to you because that sort of stance is not done in good faith.
Hi,
Yes 100% for affordable wheels inside the Fanatec Eco system using only there branded products this is the way to go absolutely no way about it at all this is fact,

I was not disputing this fact, like I mentioned in my 1st post,
I do not own any Fanatec pedals, I do not own any handbrake or shifters this is all HE products so no use here for the Eco system but there is nothing wrong with it,

the main comments was regarding what comes inside the box from the factory,
I own a CSX2, PSE GT3 Wheel, I just ordered the SRB GT3 Wireless wheel,
I still feel very strongly than using non Fanatec wheels the Simucube is by far the superior product,

there is simply more than 1 brand here where as using cheap adapters and parts yes for my circumstances which is not uncommon by the way to buy cube controls or pse or srb or the other 15-20 wheel makers out there I still feel its way more expensive to go with the Eco system product,
was just a comment I didnt want to start a war :D

Upvote 0
1. Will from boosted media doesn't claim the fanatec is more expensive, in-fact he always comments about the affordability of the fanatec envrironment. He does not lie.

2. I will stop calling you a liar when you stop doing it. I am not trying to be vulgar or rude, i just want people in the simracing community to be able to make informed decisions, i am of the opinion that your presence in this thread is hindering that.

You keep doing this, appealing to the community as if you think having more posts than me makes you immune to being corrected, that appears to not be the case.

The SC2 is already the better equipment I don't understand the need to build a false reality where magically the fanatec has a 30% import cost that the SC2 is immune to.
I am talking about your vulgar attitude calling people liar in public everyone here is welcome to there opinion its a free world and every opinion counts but there is ways to express your opinion without offending people in which is against the terms and conditions of been a member,
I do not see anyone else behaving or acting like you to other members.

Upvote 0
I am talking about your vulgar attitude calling people liar in public everyone here is welcome to there opinion its a free world and every opinion counts but there is ways to express your opinion without offending people in which is against the terms and conditions of been a member,
I do not see anyone else behaving or acting like you to other members.

We are not talking about your opinions, nothing in your first post was an opinion, it was a purposefully misleading misrepresentation that was made in bad faith.

Again, it is so creepy that you think appealing to "the community" is going to save you here as if your post count gives you protection from derailing an entire discussion by making outlandish and demonstrably false claims (that you have since completely backed out of, btw).

First you claimed it was 4-5x more expensive because you needed 6 podium hubs and a bunch of other things, then you did the math yourself, found them to be equal in price, and then just added a 30% import fee on the Podium which any rational person would know is not typical or useful in a general discussion on the merits of the two bases.

In your last response to Ted you've completely abandoned everything you were arguing before and simply saying that your 900 Euro Precision Sim Engineering wheel on a Simucube 2 Pro is a better product, which everyone here has already said in this over and over again. It's not something that anyone is even arguing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We are not talking about your opinions, nothing in your first post was an opinion, it was a purposefully misleading misrepresentation that was made in bad faith.

Again, it is so creepy that you think appealing to "the community" is going to save you here as if your post count gives you protection from derailing an entire discussion by making outlandish and demonstrably false claims (that you have since completely backed out of, btw).

First you claimed it was 4-5x more expensive because you needed 6 podium hubs and a bunch of other things, then you did the math yourself, found them to be equal in price, and then just added a 30% import fee on the Podium which any rational person would know is not typical or useful in a general discussion on the merits of the two bases.

In your last response to Ted you've completely abandoned everything you were arguing before and simply saying that your 900 Euro Precision Sim Engineering wheel on a Simucube 2 Pro is a better product, which everyone here has already said in this over and over again. It's not something that anyone is even arguing.
Ted came with a nice attitude and a opinion which I would have shared with you also if you wasn’t trying to attack me out the gates and been offensive for no reason,

I am sorry if my leading post seemed misleading it wasn’t my intention to do so and still isn’t,

I simply came to share my opinion which obviously is not welcome so in the future will keep them to myself, I do not want to keep arguing over this nonsense, you do not agree it’s fine let’s move on, have a nice day!:)

Upvote 0
No one faulted you for having an opinion. Nothing you stated initially was an opinion.

The SC2 feels better = opinion

The SC2 is 4-5x cheaper then a podium base = not opinion

but comparing apples for apples price wise the Simucube + upgrades at 4-5x cheaper cost wins the day for me every single time.

I would never attack someone for having an opinion, you trying to twist this situation into that is (once again) disingenuous. I will, however, attempt to correct the record when I feel people may be being mislead about a relatively large financial investment in sim equipment.

When I was new to the simracing community as a whole and didn't know better I might have taken your first few posts at face value and ended up making a decision based off of misleading and bad-faith arguments.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No one faulted you for having an opinion. Nothing you stated initially was an opinion.

Never used a SC2 base never even tried one it’s not still even been shipped I clearly said I’ll decide later for myself go read it back again.

there 0 stock anywhere hardly on SRM or Q1R 50mm wheel side so that leaves you with either manually unscrewing for example my CSX2 and switching the hub over which I’m almost useless I don’t want to risk scratching it constantly trying to work in tight spaces or buy more hubs to avoid damage,

reading back the 4/5x cheaper comment was a spelling mistake it makes no sense so sorry about that I could edit it but rather not look like a fool so will apologise instead for not double checking what I wrote.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I would never attack someone for having an opinion, you trying to twist this situation into that is (once again) disingenuous. I will, however, attempt to correct the record when I feel people may be being mislead about a relatively large financial investment in sim equipment.

When I was new to the simracing community as a whole and didn't know better I might have taken your first few posts at face value and ended up making a decision based off of misleading and bad-faith arguments.
Why do you constantly keep re editing your comments after I have already replied ?
and then saying I am disingenuous lol I mean dude come on.

Upvote 0
My post was last edited 18 minutes ago, you responded 15 minutes ago. At the time of my edit you had not responded, anyone can read it clear as day. I did not edit after you had replied. Please stop being misleading.

Edit:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-08 101638.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-08 101638.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Upvote 0

TedBrosby-

Premium
Hey everyone, it's fine to disagree. But none of us are employees at Fanatec or Simucube. So try to remember that personally we're all closer to each other than we are to either of these companies. Don't insult a fellow sim racer to defend a company that probably doesn't care about you as much as you think they do. We're all friends right?

IMO: your circumstance dictates what's a better deal. If you want advice based on personal circumstance, share it, and if you're offering advice to someone who shared personal circumstance, respect it.

Some of us have to make do with what we have, no shame in not being able to choose what's treasure in another area/market.

For @CC 's situation, SC2 was a better deal, for those of us who want to order wheels in the Fanatec system or use PS5, Fanatec might be a better deal too.
Another option is to have an SC2 Sport and a CSL Elite +.
IMO, GT7 won't take advantage of strong force feedback to really push a DD wheel to the limit of detail. Polyphony is going to program the physics so people with a G29 or T300 will be able to enjoy it. I just can't imagine them making FFB that feels good on cheap wheels but also has good details for DD.
Personally I'm even considering having a CSL Elite for PS5 and another DD for serious racing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well "objective truth" as far as I can tell from the thread seems to come down to different "opinions"
From the opening post:

The confrontation stemmed from claims relating to cost and availably, which are easily fact-check and aren't really a matter of opinion.

I was new and found this place towards the tail-end of 2019, if I had seen a post like his with no one clarifying or giving context it could have seriously weighed in my decision-making.

When you google, "simucube vs podium" or any derivation this hardware forum comes up specifically. I know how difficult of a choice it can be for some, and I think it's important that when it comes to these purchases we can separate opinion from fact, because, again, it's important.

That is honestly all I am trying to do here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey everyone, it's fine to disagree. But none of us are employees at Fanatec or Simucube. So try to remember that personally we're all closer to each other than we are to either of these companies. Don't insult a fellow sim racer to defend a company that probably doesn't care about you as much as you think they do. We're all friends right?

IMO: your circumstance dictates what's a better deal. If you want advice based on personal circumstance, share it, and if you're offering advice to someone who shared personal circumstance, respect it.

Some of us have to make do with what we have, no shame in not being able to choose what's treasure in another area/market.

For @CC 's situation, SC2 was a better deal, for those of us who want to order wheels in the Fanatec system or use PS5, Fanatec might be a better deal too.
Another option is to have an SC2 Sport and a CSL Elite +.
IMO, GT7 won't take advantage of strong force feedback to really push a DD wheel to the limit of detail. Polyphony is going to program the physics so people with a G29 or T300 will be able to enjoy it. I just can't imagine them making FFB that feels good on cheap wheels but also has good details for DD.
Personally I'm even considering having a CSL Elite for PS5 and another DD for serious racing.
Thx for the input Ted was well said,

I just want to be clear in no way my intentions was to be biased and persuade anyone to buy one product over another product, I love my DD2 its fabulous I can not even imagine what the SC2 feels like if like I mentioned in my 1st post 90% of people say the SC is actually the better wheel base,

I purchased my DD2 from here on Racedepartment the guy who I purchased it off had used it less than 40 minutes and the High Torque key was still sealed inside the plastic bag unopened but he sold that and purchased a SC2 Pro and seems very happy he told me but again maybe its subjective I honestly can not say I have only ever driven a Fanatec DD2 base which is way more than I would ever use 25nm I usually run around 10-11-14-15 maximum and that is far enough for me personally,

I had never even thought about switching to another base until 2/3 days ago spending 3-4hrs searching for more quick release, honestly these aftermarket wheels the tolerences are super tight and tricky around the 50mm mounting plates for the sake of having additional hubs its not worth constantly removing these things risking damaging a 2000$ wheel for a 50$ QR additional, I simply wanted to buy more wheels, SRM, QIR everything is either out of stock or too expensive to buy more than 1,

there is absolutely nothing wrong with my DD2 or the software I simply do not own any Eco system products to keep investing in it.

Upvote 0

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 88 18.9%
  • €151-500

Votes: 123 26.4%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 80 17.2%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 42 9.0%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 46 9.9%