Buttonbox recognized as keyboard

I recently bought a button box and it arrived today. I then noticed a problem that it did not appear in my usb controller settings. I thought it was broken but actually it was recongized as a keyboard.

This means, if I press a button on the button box, it will output a letter if I open the Notepad. Well since most people don't use keyboard while driving, I really don't like the current state of my button box. I want it to be recognized as a usb controller. So the system will recognize it as "button1", "button2", etc. (Also, if you have multiple controllers like me, making them individual usb controllers rather than "keyboard keys remapping box" will prevent conflict between key assignment.

I took a look at the windows device manger and saw it was recognized as "HID system controller" while my other device like steering wheel is recognized as "HID game controller". Both generic keyboard and usb controllers use the built-in driver of windows, the "input.inf". I don't know if there is anyway to make windows recognize it as a usb controller. Plus you cannot change the property of a device in the control panel.

Anyone has any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I recently bought a button box and it arrived today. I then noticed a problem that it did not appear in my usb controller settings. I thought it was broken but actually it was recongized as a keyboard.

This means, if I press a button on the button box, it will output a letter if I open the Notepad. Well since most people don't use keyboard while driving, I really don't like the current state of my button box. I want it to be recognized as a usb controller. So the system will recognize it as "button1", "button2", etc. (Also, if you have multiple controllers like me, making them individual usb controllers rather than "keyboard keys remapping box" will prevent conflict between key assignment.

I took a look at the windows device manger and saw it was recognized as "HID system controller" while my other device like steering wheel is recognized as "HID game controller". Both generic keyboard and usb controllers use the built-in driver of windows, the "input.inf". I don't know if there is anyway to make windows recognize it as a usb controller. Plus you cannot change the property of a device in the control panel.

Anyone has any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Did you ever get a fix for this? I have a similar problem with my button box. It shows up as a PS3 controller in the controller panel but when buttons are assigned in game they act as keyboard (button 1 = "E" button 2 = "Space Bar" etc.). I just tried it in notepad though and no letters are showing up when I push buttons there. That can't be normal behaviour.

Upvote 0
Maybe the controller uses is a keyboard controller. In that case, there's not much you can do. Just configure your simulator to use the keys output by de button box or use AutoHotkey to map the keys to whatever you want.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 333 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 224 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 169 7.9%