Button: 'We're Not Ruling Out The Championship'

RaceDepartment

Administrator
Staff
Jenson Button is convinced he will still be in this season’s world-title hunt if McLaren can end their current pain in Spain next month. After wrestling the MP4-28 to a well respected fifth in this years McLaren result book, at the Chinese Grand Prix.

At present, Button is hanging on in the championship scrap with a car off the pace of main rivals Red Bull, Ferrari, Mercedes and Lotus.

Button picked up ten points after finishing fifth in Sunday’s Chinese Grand Prix, but still trails championship leader Sebastian Vettel by 40 points – a gap set to increase in Bahrain on Sunday given the problems McLaren are suffering. It will be a case of damage limitation before they head to Europe and next month’s Spanish Grand Prix, a time when teams can make significant upgrades to their cars.

‘Barcelona is always important, and for us it needs to be a good step forward – not massive, but in the right direction,’ said Button. ‘If we get what we think we’ll get in Barcelona, then that will be a positive and we can move from there. But I’m not ruling out anything [with regard to the title] just yet.’

The build-up to the Bahrain race has been overshadowed by unrest in the Gulf state, with protests organised by the opposition to the ruling royal family.

However, Force India deputy team principal Bob Fernley does not fear a repeat of last year’s incident when four members of the team were caught up in a petrol-bomb incident as they returned to their hotel from the circuit.

‘This year there won’t be any issues at all,’ he said. ‘One of the reasons is that the team are in a hotel close to the track. That’s because there will be incidents in Bahrain, and you’d be very foolish to think there won’t be. From our point of view, I don’t want a repeat of what we went through last year if I can avoid it.’

Image: ZeeNews
View the Post on the Blog

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.1%