BUTTKICKER RACE RIG SETUP

DesKane

dksRacing Kaney
Hey Folks just just wondering if anyone or ALL of you are running a Buttkicker Race Rig Setup !? And what are you running?

I have done a lot of research with a lot of trial and error over the last few years, as I am always looking for a good level of immersion - I am UK based so information has always been a little lacking as these items are just not really that mainstream over here, most info I have gleaned if not trial and error is US based and from many years ago, with not much activity going on today it would seem, are these little babies just something of a fad and folks just don't go for this type of immersion nowadays on the modern race rig !?

I am really interested to see what you all think on here, do any of you run multiple BK race rigs? and are/were BKs a must have for the immersion seekers !?

Cheers All.

Last edited:
I have a multi buttkicker rig and buttkickers are awesome. It's like having force feedback in your entire rig. If immersion is what you are after, at least a 4 buttkicker setup in the chassismode is needed.

You need a special programm called simvibe to drive the buttkickers based on the telemetry of the game http://simxperience.com/en-us/products/simvibe/simvibesoftware.aspx

I might have gone a little bit overboard, since i have

-4 buttkickers mini LFE in chassismode
-2 buttkickers mini LFE at the back of the seat ( rpm/gearshift )
-1 buttkicker mini LFE at the shifter (rpm/gearshift)
-1 buttkicker Advance at the pedals
-1 buttkicker LFE under the seat

I can feel every little or big bump in the track, curbs, engine revs, track textures ect ect. Combining buttkickers and VR really puts you in the car.

Yes buttkickers can be quite load, but they don't have to be when setup right. Isolation your rig is also very important to keep the vibrations in your rig instead of them being transfered into the floor. I have special silent profiles for driving at night.

Reactions: Bez
Upvote 0
Holy **** HoiHman - that is one hell of a setup - What amps are you running this lot through!? Is there a limit on how many BKs SimCommander can accommodate? I have just upgraded 2 of my amps to the iNuke 3000 DSP and also upgraded x4 mini BK LFEs for x4 BK Advances ? - havents got these wired up yet but I will definitely look at what you are saying and try to isolate the 4 corners of my Rig to try and get the best out of them.

Upvote 0
Simvibe can accommodate up to 8 buttkickers : 4 in the chassismode and 4 different extensions

I have:
-Inuke DSP3000 for the LFE and Advance
-Inuke DSP1000 for chassismode back
-Art SLA -4 for chassismode front
-Dayton A500 for the shifter and rpm at the back of the seat.

You're gonna be VERY happy with the 4 advance setup.:thumbsup:

I have my tactile setup in a way that the Advance and the LFE act as "subwoofers" for the mini LFE's in chassimode. They give the extra punch needed for the bigger road bumps. For the small bumps and "road noise" the mini LFE's do an excellent job. They are the "tweeters" of my tactile set up.

Again good isolation is very important. I have my entire 80/20 build on these rubber isolators
$_35.JPG

If you are standing next to my rig you do not feel any vibrations at all.

Upvote 0
I have a 4mini lfe bk setup (chassis mode) and it's a great addition to my motion seat (gekoseat).
It provides the finer details while the motion seat does the heavy part. I think they go hand in hand.
Don't add too much effects, just choose three, max.

furthermore: very important as henk said: the isolation part.
I cut a rubber mat in several smaller strips and taped them together and put them under my rig.
Don't know if that was the way to go honestly. Luckily I replaced my frontbuttkickers under my pedals
much better now.

Upvote 0
I use a pair of ADX Maximus shakers under my seat powered by an iNuke 1000DSP amp.

Some pics here:-
http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...-rig-instructions.108962/page-12#post-2342346

I just use one effect, "Suspension Textures" which works great in AC.

Read your thread iRobot - awesome stuff in there - I have an Rseat RS1 setup, as I am just not clever enough to build a bespoke rig .... YET ;-) looks awesome though - Always wondered about those ADX Maximus shakers - I have space for 2 more maybe these could be it !?

Upvote 0
Read your thread iRobot - awesome stuff in there - I have an Rseat RS1 setup, as I am just not clever enough to build a bespoke rig .... YET ;-) looks awesome though - Always wondered about those ADX Maximus shakers - I have space for 2 more maybe these could be it !?

Nice Tim, checked out your gekoseat ! wow I have never seen anything like that - it looks like a lazy boy on steroids ! - is it good !? For motion I was looking at one of these -

http://www.pagnian.co.uk/motion-simulators/next-level-racing-motion-platform-for-gtultimate-v3.html

- far too expensive though to be honest, but with fir directly under my Rseat RS1 setup - which sits directly on its feet on a tiled floor, I havent underpinned it with absorbing mats or anything, but it is pretty solid and doesnt really rattle under load from the BKs - I wonder if it would be better to actually rubber matt it though !?!?

Why did you replace your front BKs ? was it for larger BKs and where did these end up being positioned !?

Upvote 0
I use a pair of ADX Maximus shakers under my seat powered by an iNuke 1000DSP amp.

Some pics here:-
http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...-rig-instructions.108962/page-12#post-2342346

I just use one effect, "Suspension Textures" which works great in AC.

Hey iRobot,
I Have just fitted 2 new BK advance on the rear - swapped out x2 mini lfe - but have kept the 2 mini Bks on the front - I will clean out the effects and will check out your Suspension Texture option, on chasis mode - I do like doubling up Gear Changes though, satisfying thump when racing :)

Upvote 0
Let us know how the BK Advance compare to the mini LFE. If good, then I might upgrade my ADX Maximus ;).

I got the ADX because they were a fair bit cheaper than the mini LFE (in the UK). They perform similar to the mini LFE. The mini LFE has a bit more power but the ADX is more consistent across the frequency range and is quieter.

I've played around with "suspension bumps" and "suspension surges" but definitely prefer "suspension textures". It gives a good road surface rumble effect and good kerb effect without having to add anything else in.

Upvote 0
Nice Tim, checked out your gekoseat ! wow I have never seen anything like that - it looks like a lazy boy on steroids ! - is it good !? For motion I was looking at one of these -

http://www.pagnian.co.uk/motion-simulators/next-level-racing-motion-platform-for-gtultimate-v3.html

- far too expensive though to be honest, but with fir directly under my Rseat RS1 setup - which sits directly on its feet on a tiled floor, I havent underpinned it with absorbing mats or anything, but it is pretty solid and doesnt really rattle under load from the BKs - I wonder if it would be better to actually rubber matt it though !?!?

Why did you replace your front BKs ? was it for larger BKs and where did these end up being positioned !?

Hi mate,

The gekoseat is great value for money actually (ok, it will always be way too expensive these kind of things but compared to other projects it's good value for money). It was broken once in those 600 hours of racing. Julien, the creator of Gekoseat helped me out brilliantly. Got a tutorial, took out the motors and rails (learned some more about the seat along the way :D) and a week later installed everything again working perfectly fine and it cost me 75 euros. Hasn't broken down since.

The other thing looks kickass, but I agree: way too expensive :confused:.
But I THINK it would be weird racing like that. (never tried it so only guessing this)
your screen(s) should move with the rest of your rig as that's moving as a whole
otherwise it would feel weird, like those arcade racers in an arcade hall, you know.

In my case: with my setup I'm the only one that gets 'thrown' around in the car
like in real life. The rest of my rig doesn't need to move, just me is enough
With the motion simulator you showed me (at least if I have the principle right in how it works)
In long corners once the actuators reach their tilting limit they stop simulating that g-force and your reaction will be to countersteer even though the corner is still going on
With the gekoseat you have to resist the forces on your upper body so you always feel the gforces.

Further if I was you: isolate it the best way possible
rubber mat is the easiest way but a lot of the tremors will be absorped by the mat
just put it up an a few of those isolation points and the tremors will travel better through your rig.

This rig cost me a sh*tload of money, but the amount of time and joy I spent in it and will be spending in it is really worth it to me. Real racing/driving on track is just way too expensive. And if I crash: the virtual pitbox is one click away, no need for a hospital or garage :thumbsup:

Why did i reposition (not replace sorry wrong choice of words) my front bk's?
I bolted them on the frame my pedals where hangin on (mounted them inverted so)
after a few months (I'm a slow learner :D) I realised, why not mount them under the wooden plate my feet are always resting on so the tremors are now felt way better

Upvote 0
@HoiHman can you share pictures how you have your 80/20 rig sitting on the insulators? curious how you did it, since i want to get SimVibe (Tacticle Feedback) also setup.
what do you guys think about these "clark synthesis"? http://clarksynthesis.com/gaming-products/?no_redirect=true

I have bolted the rubber isolators on a 18mm MDF plate (which is covered by a thin aluminumplate)

This is an older picture of my rig, but it gives a good view how my rig is isolated.

bjD1QSd.jpg

Upvote 0
I have a multi buttkicker rig and buttkickers are awesome. It's like having force feedback in your entire rig. If immersion is what you are after, at least a 4 buttkicker setup in the chassismode is needed.

You need a special programm called simvibe to drive the buttkickers based on the telemetry of the game http://simxperience.com/en-us/products/simvibe/simvibesoftware.aspx

I might have gone a little bit overboard, since i have

-4 buttkickers mini LFE in chassismode
-2 buttkickers mini LFE at the back of the seat ( rpm/gearshift )
-1 buttkicker mini LFE at the shifter (rpm/gearshift)
-1 buttkicker Advance at the pedals
-1 buttkicker LFE under the seat

I can feel every little or big bump in the track, curbs, engine revs, track textures ect ect. Combining buttkickers and VR really puts you in the car.

Yes buttkickers can be quite load, but they don't have to be when setup right. Isolation your rig is also very important to keep the vibrations in your rig instead of them being transfered into the floor. I have special silent profiles for driving at night.

I was thinking full size LFE under my seat..fitted to my 45-90 profile. then x4 Advance in chassis mode..would I be better with a just one Advance under my pedal's and x4 Mini LFE each corner on my rig plus the full size LFE under the seat.. plus x3 iNUKE DSP3000

Upvote 0
I have bolted the rubber isolators on a 18mm MDF plate (which is covered by a thin aluminumplate)

This is an older picture of my rig, but it gives a good view how my rig is isolated.

bjD1QSd.jpg
Could I ask why the need for the 18mm MDF ?
Would the rubber's not just sitting on your solid floor have been sufficient ?

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years