Building Pits

I am having trouble building my pits

1. it has my pits set just past start finish and i want to move it before the start finish
I can't drag the pit nodes from on the track to different positions (i can move the two nodes it gives you that are off the track)

2. do you just create a open ended track to use as the pit lane?

Is there a tutorial anywhere that would help with setting up the pit lane?

Thank you for continued help

Max

As above, zoom into the nodes, uncheck centre line and then move the pit nodes.

Another good way to do the pits road is to change the cross section before and after the pits and make the edges wider, so you have a very wide piece of tar that can be used as the pits. Ask if you need more help on how to do that.

road/terrain

Pic 1: Make a 'TEST' track, where you can try various road/terrain/texture variations. This will help you experiment without making a big mess with a track you really like.

3-5:You can use either a new track or the terrain, as stated. One way I make pit road is to make sure the track where the pits are going to be is pretty much flat. Then create the pit road track over the top of the racing track. Pushing 'M' will show the placement of the racing tracks nodes so you can grab the pit road nodes and place them on top. This forces pit road to be exactly the elevation and curvature of the racing track. Now create two new nodes just inside the outermost two, by pushing 'ctrl' and left-click the mouse. Once you do this, you go to the 2d screen, highlight all the pit nodes, except the outer two, leaving them attached to the race track, and pull all of them together to the side of the track where you want the pits to be. Done.

2: (oops) Fine tune the transition of pit road by using the cross-section editor. That way you can blend the two surfaces together, using the 3d view. I used two obviously different textures (very crude and quickly) to show the blend area. Identical textures would look nearly seamless.

Widening the track, while a good way to add width, can also over-stretch the texture and distort the look in-game. Keep in mind realism is becoming more of a key factor, now with HD photo textures and higher end pc's.

Attachments

• pit sample001.jpg
    pit sample001.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 313
  • pit sample002.jpg
    pit sample002.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 296
  • pit sample003.jpg
    pit sample003.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 255
  • pit sample004.jpg
    pit sample004.jpg