building pit lane / export to drive / widen up the track

Hey fellows bobs =)
i got a question about the make start/finish,pitlane, timing-gate function.. i built a start + finish line, also pit in pit out on my closed track.
for some reason btb build a represantation of the pit lane which is okay. but now. how do i build the pitlane?...
just modeling the street and merge them together like shown in the video tutorial?..
also is there a way to test the track without starting from the pitlane (closed track).. i can export it properly to rfactor but im not able to drive because i did not build a pitlane yet.
and last. i have to widen up my closed track in some areas. i need it bigger and in some areas i need the track smaller in width.
was wondering about these topics. i really hope you can help me out on this.

thanks &
cheers!!

• Biggles1212

Hi JDenker,

Pitlanes can be make several ways to start off. I find it easier to do one of two things.

1. Use the track width function to make the main straight wide. Then I use barriers or wall to separate the pit area off.

2. Extend the terrain on one side of the track to make space for a pit and change the grass material to cobble or tarmac. Once again, I use walls/barriers to separate them off.

To get the pit lane to work properly and the rest of the track for that matter, you have to edit the pit lane path, the center line path and the fast lane path.

Remember to make your start, finish and end gates large enough to cover the pitlane area so that your laps will be counted when you pit. Also move the pit in and out gates to a suitable place so they cover the entrance and exit of the pit and don't allow you to trigger them when you're driving the normal track.

Your last question- use the track width function.

Another option on the pitlane is to use a wall-as-texture (see the skidmark video) and use the paving texture of your choice on top of terrain.

So the four options I know of are:
1) Widen your existing track (often the correct answer for historic tracks and ovals)
2) Use terrain and apply a texture
3) Make a second track and join it to the main track
4) Use a wall texture on top of terrain

All the methods will require you to edit the AI path and timing gates.

Right now, I use method 4 by first creating a second track, setting the width 1 meter less than finished product, adding 2 panels of terrain on both sides at 0.5 meter and 2 meters, deleting the track, and then filling with terrain. The filled terrain will now be the correct width as the 0.5 meter terrain panels will be deleted when you delete the pit-lane track. The wall-as-texture is then placed on top of the filled terrain. The outer vertices of the terrain panels are then tied into the existing terrain, so only the wall-as-texture is on top of something.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 231 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 161 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 223 14.2%