Building a cockpit - but parts first, right?

Hi everybody,

I've been putting together my racing rig (feels kinda weird calling it that, seeing as I'm not moving, but you get the idea) and I've done a lot of searching around about various bits of hardware. However, I think its time that I put some things down on paper and get it peer reviewed. :)

My current setup:
-G25 wheel - showing some age
-Larger diameter wood rimmed lacquer finish steering wheel - it was worth $500 new, so I'm crazy for using this on a simulated car than a real car, but it was built in a time when having an airbag wasn't a pre-requisite for the modern automobile. So it was a fine candidate instead of buying a cheaper steering wheel. I swap back to the smaller wheel for F1.
-'06 Toyota Corolla seat

I'll upload a photo later.

To give some perspective, my budget isn't massive, but I'm willing to throw money into it to get great stuff instead of upgrading over time. So here's what I'm thinking about;

Wheel
I'm considering getting/waiting for the Fanatec CSP wheel, since I like the changeable wheels and found the T500RS's F1 wheel was lacking, whereas the CSP F1 wheel looked just the ticket, in addition to the BMW GT wheel.

Any suggestions there? Is it worth waiting for, or shall I just get a CSR Elite?

Dashboard
I've just come across the rDisplay plugin, and I find that would be the best way to go for getting a dashboard that is both inexpensive and effective. An 8-inch screen is not a big investment, especially when I have a low powered PC that would serve well as the Server/Motec PC - another expensive saved.

However, I don't like the lack of versatility; being available only for rFactor. I also play RBR, Race 07 and F1 2011.

Has anyone dealt with this plugin? Or perhaps use it themselves?

My other option was to go out and construct a dashboard using Symproject parts - Simscreen, speed display, RPM display, etc. That would be a more expensive route, but far more versatile.

Shifter
I'm somewhat torn on a shifter.

I've been considering butchering a FFB joystick and using FFShifter for H pattern work, and getting a Frex Seq. shifter for that. I've heard using FFShifter 'feels' better than using the Thrustmaster shifter, but I have no way of comparing that.

Thoughts? Does anyone use FFShifter currently?

Speakers
I was considering just going with a 5.1 set from Logitech or some other company. Is it worth going any further for decent speakers for just a racing rig? I should also add that I'm a musician, and already have a considerably expensive set of speakers for that. So sound does matter to me.

I can't really comment on most of what you are asking, but for the speakers, a set of 5.1 speakers should be fine as there are not that many racing games that really give you the feel for spatial sound. rFactor 2 has the ability to set the sound to 5.1 or even 7.1 sound but I have yet to test to see if you can tell where your competitors are based on sound feedback.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back