Building a button box exclusively for VR. Looking for input.

RCHeliguy

Premium
I'm thinking of creating 4 panels that can be removed and updated independently.
This would fit on the left side of my rig. The main priority is making this so I can easily find any button or switch easily with my VR headset on.

So far I'm using 41 out of 64 inputs the Leo Bodnar board allows. The board will be wired in the order General, Keyboard Navigation, Momenrary Block and finally Rotary block so that if the controls past 32 are not accessible to a game it isn't an issue. iRacing, AC, ACC will support all 64 inputs. There is room on the board for more controls, but I'm using larger controls

Edit: Dirt Rally 2.0 also supports all 64 inputs.

General ----- Keyboard Navigation
Rotary Block
|
Momentary Block

General (4" wide x5" tall)
  • Ignition switch, Start button
  • HMD Center button, Pit/Exit Recover button
  • 4 way joystick for seat Up/Down Fore/Aft
Keyboard Navigation (7"wide x 5" tall )
  • 4 way joystick mapped to arrow keys
  • button ESC
  • button Enter
  • 4 Buttons for function keys.
Rotary Block ( 4" wide by 4" tall )
  • 4 rotary knobs
  • 4 buttons
Momentary block ( 4" wide by 4" tall )
  • 4 Up/Down Momentary switches
  • 8 Buttons
The cardboard is cut to scale, still waiting for input devices to arrive, so I'm not rushing this at all.
buttonbox_4325.jpg

I'd love to hear any suggestions, comments or lessons learned from people who built their own button boxes.

Last edited:
Depending what you use on your rig..

rotary push for on/off of motion -turn for intensity
rotary push for on/off of wind -turn for intensity
rotary push for on/off of crew cheif -turn for volume
rotary push for on/off of chat-turn for volume
rotary brake bias
rotary for scrolling menus or lcd
two rotaries with a 2 position switch next to them. Position of switch determines if they are acting as seat adjustment or mirror adjustment - depending in sim it may support this or you use another bit of software to allow modifier buttons.

Modifier buttons can let you map a bunch of buttons to something else which could be good in VR because if you know where some buttons are they can be used for different things rather than having to also learn where some other buttons are as well.

I only race fairly simple cars so I am sure some other cars have more options but my rotaries are primarily for controlling things outside of the car.

Upvote 0
I think this will work. I ended up not using the Dacron padding at least on the panels.

What I'm thinking is that I'll create labels on my laser printer, then laminate them. The labels will shaped to include a button hole and be made to screw into place with the buttons so they will be removable and can be changed in the future. I'll try it out and see if it works.

The vertical board is just a place holder for now. I expect to replace it with something that has rotary knobs at some point. Now I can fit things together.

buttonBox_4337.jpg

Upvote 0
It's slowly coming together. Unfortunately my rig is in the basement and I'm having to make a lot of trips up and down the stairs to fit things together. At the moment everything is just screwed together while I'm fitting everything. At the end I'll add glue except for the panels and top.

I got just a bit further before I had to put my shop away. Everything is on casters. It comes out to play in my wife's garage stall area and then tucks away in the front of the garage when not in use.

It's "possible" that I'll get it completely assembled trimmed and covered tomorrow, but it may be Friday before I can finish. Then I plan to use it for a while. I don't consider it done, but I do think it takes care of all of my needs for the time being.

buttonbox_4339.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Every piece of wood that needs to be cut has been cut and it's mostly assembled.The Leo Bodnar board is mounted and there is a beveled hole to the USB-B connector.

Once I decide on how to attach the panels and the top in a clean way that is easy to remove I'll be ready to start covering it. At this point I'm planning to use the 1/2 Dacron padding on the outside of the box.
buttonbox_4348.jpg

Upvote 0
This morning I sanded everything smooth and then applied padding and vinyl.
I was really lucky! I just barely had enough vinyl to cover everything. I "thought" I'd have left overs.

What I'm planning to do for ease of removal is attach a support to the inside of each panel that extends to the back of the box. It will have a 1/4 20 bolt with a 1/4 20 knob on the back to secure it.. This way I can just loosen a knob and remove a panel. Granted that is oversimplifying things since I'll need to unplug all the wires from the Leo Bodnar board before I can removed a panel.

vinyl_4349.jpg

vinyl_4350.jpg
vinyl_4351.jpg
padding_4352.jpg
vinyl_4353.jpg

I'm taking a small break while some glue dries. I made a mistake and the top panels have a 1/8" vertical gap that I'll need to adjust for. I may just put a bit of black foam at the top and bottom for now. The vinyl work is definitely not perfect. I didn't think it all the way through before I started and I've never upholstered vinyl before.
vinyl_4354.jpg

Upvote 0
I appreciate the thoughts! We had a great anniversary.

I decided that there was a half-life on a personal post like that on a technical forum like this, so I removed the image.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's done until I redo the bottom panel at some point. I have some ideas on how to pretty up the vinyl a bit more, but I have no vinyl left and I've decided it's time to stop building and start using it.

These are the knobs and 1/4 20 bolts that hold the panels on. I used some screw snap covers to clean the
screws up on the front of the panels
Panelattachment_4361.jpg

And finally the end product mounted and ready to use!!!!
mounted_4367.jpg
doneback_4370.jpg

Upvote 0
Brilliant work mate and love the final outcome of this project.
I have been back and forth myself on what to do and almost pulled the trigger on the 4way thumb stick DSD sells as I know it will fit in my current P1 DSD button box.
I have now come across a new button box company that builds VR inspired boxes with thumb sticks and plenty of rotary encoders, that have got me very tempted.
Jason.

Upvote 0
Whatever works!

I looked at those a while back and to my eyes the controls were too crowded, but this is all VERY subjective stuff and I've seen a LOT of different solutions that look like they would work for different people with different needs. I'm also not remotely suggesting my solution would work for everyone or that there are not better solutions out there.

FYI, borrowing from my rig build thread, the cup holder is working well and I have Camelbak's that fit well and reduce any chances of spilling.
camelbak_4396.jpg

It also looks pretty good with the Sim-Lab vertical mount.
verticlemount_4402.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back