Build me a PC, please :)

Hello everyone. I made a post here about 8 or so months ago asking about which computer to buy for getting started in PC simracing. I was told to build my own computer as it would be cheaper and last longer. Unfortunately, I didn't have any saved money at the time and decided to go the real cheap route with... Forza. Needless to say, that hasn't turned out too well.

Anyhow, I now have money saved up and I'm ready to roll. It's still a modest amount, but I'm hoping it will do.

I have about 750 euro (1000 USD) for a computer that is mainly to be used for racing. I need a specific list of parts to buy (links from websites). I have been searching around and have found some sites that walk you through building the actual machine, so I should be fine in that regard. I just need to know what to buy for maximum performance while staying in my price range (if absolutely necessary, I could go up to about 900 euros for the machine, if you think adding an extra 150 euros will increase capability that much.)

I live in the US market, and any help is greatly appreciated. Upon project completion, I will give a modest 20$ (about 15 euros) to the person who gives me the parts list. lol just note it will take me some time to complete the project, and that you need paypal for me to send the money. I just feel a little compensation is due because there are so many parts and specs, and I feel overwhelmed with the prospect of searching through them when I don’t know what exactly I need.

A few things you should know incase helping me interests you.

-I won’t use this machine for much else besides simracing.
-I would like good graphics, but if that has to go be the way side in order for better operation and price, so be it.
-I’m in the US market so suggesting sites that only ship to Europe will be a problem.
-I would like to pay no more than 750 euros, but I could go up to 900 if it’s a MUST in order to build a good, solid PC.
-I may defeat you out on the circuit should I get into the PC racing world :)

If you need to know more, just ask away.

Thanks for reading guys!

Thank you for responded Chris! Don't worry about the monitor, speakers, and keyboard, although I wouldn't mind suggestions. I plan on taking my time building the core system and will just get that stuff near project completion.

I really do appreciate this bud! :)

Hi,

First option (pdf) is a selection of parts to get an high end PC ~ 1100$ @ Newegg.
The latter one is a complete PC incl. Windows 7, a bit cheaper (930$), less powerfull, but if you don't know what "SGSSAA" is, this PC will do the Job in all actual racing simulation @ FullHD resolution.

Attachments

• Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg.pdf
    47.1 KB · Views: 342
  • complete_pc.pdf
    19.2 KB · Views: 235
Thank you so much, Tobias!!! I'm afraid you're appealing to my lazy side though, mate, as I'm leaning toward the complete package :). Just let me get this straight, the only difference between the two is that the prebuilt is less powerful?

actually between the 2 there is more than prebuild and less powerfull
the 1100 that Tobias posted has for each hardware inside the case most likely it's own guarantee, that means if 1 of the hardware fails, then you only need to send the faulty hardware back and stick with the rest. (you can always buy a spare part and put it in the pc so it can work whole the main part is being examined/repaired/exchanged)
the complete package will have guarantee on the whole case and not individual hardware.....so if one hardware fails, then the whole pc needs to be send back and during that time you will be stuck with no pc whatsoever for gaming :wink:

Thank you so much, Tobias!!! I'm afraid you're appealing to my lazy side though, mate, as I'm leaning toward the complete package :). Just let me get this straight, the only difference between the two is that the prebuilt is less powerful?

Yes the CPU is slightly slower in present car simulations (~10-15%) and lacks HTT. The graphic card is around 30-50% slower than the ATI 5850. But the system is capable of pulling out >60FPS in a FullHD resolution with 4AA/16AF in every known carsim.
Beside that, the CPU cooler is louder under full load and maybe the power supply too, if you want a silent PC you can upgrade the noisy parts (CPU cooler, case fans) later if you like.
I would advice you to get the prebuilt PC if you are pleased with the computing power it offers. You are on the save side if something won't work as expected, because there is always the possibility that some part isn't working as it should when you are building your own PC from ground up and you are in trouble.
You can upgrade this PC afterwards - new twice as fast mid-performance GPU generation of 2011 for ~150$, a SSD or more memory.

I appreciate the input guys. I'm still leaning toward the prebuilt as it would seem that is a safer play. lol if I have to send it back for repairs, I suppose I'll have to treat that like a car being in the shop and just wait it out.

My last Forza race is this weekend, the conclusion of an 8 round championship. I'll give myself until after the race to make a final decision. I've been wanting to get into PC racing for a while now, and I'm really excited.

I very much appreciate all the feedback from you guys. You have saved me a TON of time and no doubt a huge headache.

THANKS!!!!!

One more thing. Monitors, what am I looking for? The prebuilt computer at newegg has a 20" one I can add on the order for $130. But I see some on Ebay that are just dirt cheap. What should I go with?

22 inch baby :) (or more :wink:)
new one already come really cheap now, so I say put some money in 22 inch or above with 1080i resolution
(my choices goes to samsung or if not mistaken hp...don't know experience with other brands)

Trust me Danny
once you go big, you'll never want to go back small
just a comparison of the price
back a year or 2 when Samsung brought out its 22 inch (226BW) I bought it for around 360 euro, now you can get one with Full HD resolution for around 170 euro (mine is only 1610 by 1000 or something like that lol)
I say put some 50 bucks extra and go with either this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001345
or this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236085

or order it from Tigerdirect
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5759562&CatId=2775
this one is HD

then you know also if you go with power pc, you will get great details on any game :wink:

but in the end if you indeed do not want to go with bigger
then this is great to have, gaming 20 inch monitor with fast response time
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001375

That one is perfect, Chris. Free shipping so the cost is fine.

Alright, I'll be going with the cyberpower PC and the Samsung monitor. I will then get a G27 or G25 and I should be ready to go, correct? Some sort of gameseat or what have you will come in the future, but for now I just want to get the raw basics.

Thanks people!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 162 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 305 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing