BUILD LOG: Racing + Flying VR Rig

Hello all! New sim racer here and looking to start a bit of a build log for a couple reasons:
  1. It seems like you guys like this stuff like I do :)
  2. Because I know I am going to need some guidance and input along the way
Before I get into the present and future of my build, first I'd like to briefly share a bit of background. I'm 100% new to sim racing (currently focusing on ACC only, as I love GT3 cars), but I'm not new to simming in general...

BACKGROUND

Around mid 2014 I heard about Digital Combat Simulator (DCS) and given I spent my entire adolescence wanting to be a fighter pilot (before the Navy told me the dream was dead due to me being red/green colorblind) it seemed like something that might be relevant to my interests. Boy was I right! As I assume most of you have experienced, I quickly fell down that peripheral rabbit hole. Said "rabbit hole" become more of a "black hole" that I was falling down at hyperspeed, and the rest is history. From one HOTAS to the next, I ended up becoming very enthralled with the high-end boutique peripherals. Over the ~6 years since I started on DCS, I've gone through waves of being on and off with playing - "off" times being mostly due to my career taking too much of my time and/or other personal life obligations - and I've ebbed and flowed with my level of seriousness with playing. I've joined virtual squadrons and fought in the SATAL league there, I've read military flight manuals front to back to learn more about operating the jets, etc. To this day I still retain a love and enjoyment for DCS, although I haven't played much the past year or so.

Around June of 2020, after years of thinking "I should get into sim racing" (and being told as much by some of my flight sim buddies), I started to get serious about it. Again, I fell down that rabbit hole and became determined to get a racing rig put together. The twist this time was that my wife and I were expecting our first child in July, and we had just bought a new home that was undergoing a lot of renovations...plus there was a small global pandemic going on. Not exactly optimal timing, but life rarely lines up perfectly, so I said "Screw it" and proceeded ahead anyway. With the learnings from my flight sim hardware shenanigans, I subscribed to the "Buy Once, Cry Once" philosophy from day 1 here with the racing build.

I had never sim raced before, but I own an AMG and have always loved fast cars. In 2018, I did an AMG Academy Track Day @ Leguna Seca which was incredible and gave me confidence that I would love sim racing the same as I do flight simming. That day I was told by "Nipper" (my instructor for the day) that I "was a natural", but still I never took the leap to get a racing rig put together. Now that has changed...

PRESENT DAY BUILD

At the end of July, after the baby had arrived, I started ordering the racing rig hardware and checking hourly for the out of stock items to come back into stock. Below is what I settled on for the build and I ordered as soon as the items came back into stock:
  • Rig: SimLab P1-X (Black)
    • Add-ons: SimFeet + Seat Rails + Seat Slider + Keyboard Tray + Mouse Tray + Cup Holders
  • Pedals: Wave Italy WAVE FORCE MONZA - SIM PEDALS PRO
    • I ordered the 2 pedal set with no clutch, as I have 0 intentions of ever racing a car that doesn't use clutch paddles
  • Direct Drive Base: SIMUCUBE 2 Pro
  • Rim: Ascher Racing F-28 Wireless
    • I wanted the F-64 but ran out of patience in waiting for Martin to get this back into stock
    • I might add a new rim in soon, but TBD (would be a F-64 or a Gomez rim)
  • Seat: Sparco Evo II QRT
The Ascher rim took the longest to come back into stock, which was painful, but by the end or end of October I finally had everything I needed. Those few months of waiting were rough. Unfortunately, the waiting didn't stop there as our new home had some undisclosed water damage/issues in the basement, which required a very costly waterproofing system to be installed. This also meant that the finishes of the basement needed to be totally ripped out as they dug the perimeter of the cement up to install all of that. While this was quite costly, it did mean that I had a clean slate to work with for remodeling my man cave...so that is exactly what I did.

The contractors were here for a month or so getting all of that done, and at this point everything is mostly finished besides some things I am going to DIY myself, and then having the painters come (which we cancelled in early December due to COVID spiking again, and we will likely have them come in the Spring once things hopefully have settled down).

Here are some photos of the build....

PROGRESS SHOTS:

G7QhMzh.jpg

DoiYrz6.jpg

JRGbkvE.jpg

Buk07PR.jpg

FINAL PRODUCT:

Xjkd9CO.jpg
vTdYAjy.jpg

I have since cleaned up all the wires with some TLC on cable management. I will get more photos of that up soon.

NEXT STEPS:
  1. Add a pedal slider to the racing pedals
  2. Add tactile feedback to the rig
  3. Add my flight sim peripherals to the rig
  4. Build button boxes for both racing and flight
  5. Add motion
With the guidance of @Mr Latte , I've gotten a small start on adding tactile feedback to the rig. Yesterday I ordered a Behringer NX3000D + 2x ButtKicker Concerts. Configuration of the two BK-CT's is TBD, but I am likely going to add one to the seat and one to the pedals. Unfortunately, the amp is on backorder under the end of January (yay, more waiting!) but once that is here it will mark the next big progress I am able to make on the rig. Once I get this all set up, I will work on adding anywhere from 4-8 exciters onto the seat. On my old flight setup, I used a JetSeat SE from Andre, which was very nice, but I know it will pale in comparison to what I am working on for this build.

Regarding adding my flight sim equipment to the P1-X, I still have some more thinking/planning to do on this one. Since we all love photos, here are some shots of my current gear...

FLIGHT GEAR:

0DD5zlE.jpg

Sbd180E.jpg

• Rig: WheelStandPro for TM Warthog
    • Add-ons: Left Side RSG module
  • Pedals: Slaw RX Vipers
    • Add-ons: Motorcycle damper
  • Throttle: Custom made Throttletek F/A-18C throttle
    • Add-ons: Made with Halls sensor instead of a standard pot, and I procured ~$500+ worth of custom switches for them to use in the build, these are the OTTO mil-spec switches that are used in the real jet
  • Stick Base: Virpil VPC T-50 base
    • Add-ons: Sahaj 15cm Black extension
  • Grip: Thrustmaster F/A-18C Replica
    • I also have my old A-10C/F-16 Warthog grip from when I had a TM Warthog HOTAS
I've got some plans to change some of this stuff up a bit as well, but one step at a time...

Regarding the button boxes, I have about $1500 worth of mil-spec switches, rotaries, and other misc stuff that I purchased when I was planning to build a 1:1 replica cockpit of a F/A-18C Hornet. These are mostly Honeywell and EATON/Cutler Hammer, and are incredibly high quality with a great tactile feel. I've also got a landing gear handle from a GR-4 Tornado fighter jet that I will need to build into one of the botton boxes as well, as well as a landing HOOK handle. My point here is that I've got a lot of the materials already on hand that I can use for a racing box, I'll just need to add a few things here or there maybe.

While I've never soldered a thing in my life, and am largely not "handy" whatsoever, I did acquire all the necessary soldering equipment before...despite never finding the time to use any of it :) Hopefully that changes in 2021, but I'm not so sure given it seems that newborns take quite a bit of your free time, and I've got a lot already on my plate. Someday, though.

That is all for now....the baby needs fed again...but I hope you've enjoyed reading. I'll get the specs of my rig and VR put up sometime soon. Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts and feedback!

Happy New Year to all!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit to add PC specs:

GAMING RIG:
  • GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
  • CPU: Intel i7-9700K
    • Still searching daily for a AMD 5900X to come into stock and allow me 2 seconds to be able to add it to my cart before the scalpers, and which point I will just go ahead and update the mobo, RAM, AIO, etc.
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • AIO Cooler: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum
  • RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200
  • Monitor: Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440
  • VR HMD: Reverb G2

Last edited:
G-Belt arrived quickly, it got here Tuesday. I did some partial install of the control box along with some cable management, and I tested the software/firmware/drivers didn’t give me any issues. Had a couple small hiccups along the way but generally it’s was a pain free, and I believe it'll be ready to roll when the rest of the pieces I need arrive for the final install.

Didn't get to put the control box exactly where I wanted to (along the side profile of the P1-X up under my seat) because I couldn't get the bolts threaded into the T-nuts and was too lazy to take my seat + isolators off and put them back, but this will do for now :) It doesn't look too terrible...

AS2HFrx.jpg

I went to the local hardware store for some of the washers/bolts I needed and was only able to source some of the items I needed to install it to my seat back. I'm missing some rubber fender washers, but ordered some from Amazon. My big mistake was not realizing that the G-Belt didn't come with a belt/harness at all...I was always under the impression it came with a crappy stock one that everyone upgraded from, but in reality, it doesn't include a belt. Oops.

I've since ordered this belt:

RKshn1G.png

It is set to arrive Saturday (tomorrow), along with the rubber fender washers. that should be everything I need and I'm planning to have this all installed this weekend and will revert back with an "official" installation post per my previous formats. I've already pre-drilled the seat using the template. Looking forward to finishing everything up and trying it out.

2vPKpnw.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
G BELT INSTALL

Got the G-Belt installed over the weekend, finished it last night and spent an hour or so driving and testing. It's a pretty mind blowing addition to the rig....I had high expectations, and I would say this exceeded them. I still have some tidying up to do around the rig with cables, etc., and a lot of learning and tweaking to do within SimCommander to manage and balance the effects, but this thing is great.

One thing I learned last night is that I won't be able to try to get all of the settings and effects perfect on day one. This is a very new feel to my body when driving in VR, and I need to allow myself to become accustomed to it over time. At first, the effects felt super strong...so much so that I couldn't even notice my tactile transducer effects (and got all the way out of the belt and rig to make sure SimHub was open and running lol), but then overtime my body began to start getting acclimated to the belt effects and it felt like less of a shock....and I felt the tactile, albeit still feeling it a little less. There is certainly a perfect balance to be struck across all the forms of feedback, and I will get it dialed in....over time :)

Really happy with the G-Belt so far, and can't wait to hop back on and run some more laps. I stayed up later than I should have and did one quick race in an ACC public lobby on Monza...I took P1 with a 19 second gap to P2, so, off to a good start! (note that the field was weak, but always good to get a win in the first race with something new).

PARTS LIST
  • SimXperience G-Belt
  • Sabelt GT/Rally Steel 3" FIA 6-Point Racing Harness - Black
  • 2x M6 x 25mm Stainless Steel Mushroom/Button Head Bolts
  • 2x 1/4" ID x 1 1/2" OD Stainless Steel Fender Washers
  • 2x 1/4 ID x 1-1/4" OD Rubber Fender Washers
  • 4x M8 x 16mm Stainless Steel Heavy Duty Shoulder Eye Bolts
FINAL INSTALL

2cNFn9Y.jpg

yr1qbEa.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not really a rig update, but I picked up a year of iRacing last night. Never tried it but looking forward to using some of my upcoming vacation time to dive into it.

For context, I have only used ACC despite also owning AMS2, RF2 and AC…along with all their content. I always buy new sims and then never make time to fight through all the initial setup with VR. I’m going to get past that trend with iR over the next few nights.

Looking forward to seeing how it feels compared to ACC.

Upvote 0
Ordered a GRID MPX wheel a couple weeks ago, should be arriving sometime in February once it’s released. I’ll follow up with thought and pictures then…until then, I doubt I’ll have anything else to update here. Have been focusing on racing rather than the rig this year.

FDD40EA5-7AB9-46E1-8194-86ABFB6FF1DF.png

Upvote 0
UPDATES SINCE LAST POST

Been a while since I updated anything here, but for once I've actually been racing this year semi consistently. I've only had a handful of weeks where I didn't do much racing due to schedule, etc....but no 1-3 month long breaks away from touching the rig, so big improvement there.

I've also made some pretty significant additions to my rig build, despite my last post saying "Not changing anything this year, just going to focus on racing"...famous last words :whistling:

Received my GRID MPX (see last post)...
BbunGj3.jpg

Added a SimLab QR (Krontec replica)....
l5Qbx7i.jpg
5QHYqoa.jpg

Had my SimLab seat bracket crack, so I replaced it with a steel Sparco set...
660xIwb.jpg

Added 2x Simucube Active Pedals, along with a Simucube Pedal Tray, but have apparently yet to take a good picture, or a picture with both AP's in it lol....
qR63JhD.jpg

Ordered 2 SimCore pedal plates (1 throttle, 1 brake) + 3 foot guards for the new Active Pedals. I am waiting on the new wider versions in Simucube Orange color to come back to SimCore from production before they will ship to me. I'm still unsure if I will go 2x (both sides) footguards on the brake or the throttle pedal, or if I will just go 1 and 1 and have the 3rd be a waste. Going to come down to testing and seeing what feels best. Regardless, here is a general photo from George at SimCore. The ones I receive will have a brake that is 25% wider than the one pictured...

CpVPxSv.jpg

Got bored and wrapped my keyboard tray in carbon fiber vinyl, easily shaving a 10th off my lap times due to reduced weight...

xYSWfx0.jpg

Have a full pedal and floorboard tactile plate on order, thanks to a very kind friend who was willing to help me with the 3D design -- I just sent this one out for production yesterday, so TBD on timeline to have it back for installation. It is being produced from 6mm thick 304 Stainless Steel with a Mill 2B finish to it. I may finish it further myself or just leave it as is. It is 880mmx490mmx6mm in size, so pretty massive, and is bespoke to hold 1x BK LFE and 1x Clark TST-429, as well as having 4040 to allow my Simucube pedal tray to be mounted on and slide forward/aft. It will be mounted using the same RaceBass/Simtag L-brackets as my seat, along with the same isolators, for tactile isolation...

qBRAiVs.png
77IbFCe.jpg

I'll follow up once I have it back and installed, when I plan to get some good "glamour shots" of my rig. Until then, there won't be much to report, and this is the best pic I have of the current state of the rig:

p1FFxBI.jpg

Edit: forgot to add I covered the exciter units in carbon fiber vinyl…much cleaner look overall imo

Last edited:
Upvote 0
IMG_0391.jpeg

Got the plate back today, cleaned it up a little…but need to figure out how to go about DIY’ing a brushed finish to it to finish it up to a higher quality.

8020.net has the two pieces of 4040 on their way to me as well, so hoping to knock a lot of this out….plus install…over the weekend.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I did a better job of “logging” this time…

Ran to the metal shop yesterday morning and had them put a brushed finish on my stainless plate
IMG_0401.jpeg

Took all the old stuff off and undid all my old cable management
IMG_0402.jpeg

Moved some of the wires out of the way and put the L-brackets on
IMG_0403.jpeg

Got the pedal plate/floorboard on and put the 4040 pieces in place
IMG_0410.jpeg

Mounted the BK LFE and TST-429 underneath
IMG_0411.jpeg

Here are a few “finished” pics
IMG_0412.jpeg
IMG_0413.jpeg
IMG_0414.jpeg

I’ve still gotta do the cable work this weekend (adding the banana plugs and Neutrik connectors), then hook it all up for testing. Then I’ll have some cable management work to do to tidy things back up again.

SimCore “Simucube Orange” pedal plates arrive early next week. I went with the new wide brake option, and the regular throttle. Stuck with 3 foot guards although I’m unsure how many I’ll actually use in final state.

Attachments

• IMG_0401.jpeg
    IMG_0401.jpeg
    579.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0412.jpeg
    IMG_0412.jpeg
    585.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Upvote 0
amazing what you did - i really love the stainless steel idea
now we wait for
? motion
? entire rig isolation
Thanks man, really appreciate it. As for what is next…the things you mentioned are really the only “big” things left. I just need to decide which is right for me — DBOX Gen 5 or the rig perimeter isolation/springs. For now, going to try to take some time to just enjoy the rig until the winter months.

Plenty of smaller projects for additions as well (DIY button boxes, wind sim, adding second LFE to seat, more exciters, etc).

Always something

Last edited:
Upvote 0
SIMCORE SHIPMENT HAS ARRIVED

My pedal plate and funky switch delivery came yesterday and I got everything set up last night. Still need to decide if I will leave the foot guards on as pictured, or if I will use only one on each pedal, or if I will move the 2 from the brake to the throttle....but really liking this so far.

Top notch build and finish quality, and a perfect match to the Simucube orange color:

I1tzdab.jpg
gbvtlKL.jpg
4Ig6ByI.jpg
eZxxdng.jpg

And the gold funky knobs, really like these as they are smaller and I don't accidentally knock them in hairpins, etc (terrible photo quality on the LEDs, sorry for that):

Dn449VS.jpg

Upvote 0
Foot guard is very…..funny….
Maybe also add some velcro to your foot…LOL

Otherwise nice rig!
I guess they act more like foot rests than anything else (ie a “guard”). I use them basically constantly to rest the side of my feet on and it reduces the overall stress I feel on my feet. They are surprisingly beneficial for me.

I ordered them most for aesthetic with the possibility of some utility…really surprised how much utility I’m getting from them.

Upvote 0
I wanted to show some of the overall results that this crazy tactile setup could provide, so I decided to film a few videos of it in action. I did this with the "Good Vibrations" Discord group in mind....but the realized these might be interesting to others.

One video is just a SimHub recording rolling on the rig, showing how much the rig itself vibrates and moves from the strength of the effects.... and the second one is of me driving a quick lap.

In the process of filming, I realized I have some weird *click* that is going on with my pedal/floorboard LFE, but I'll tackle that issue another day. For now I am just posting these videos in case your curious and for some reason want to see the rig in action....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I owe this log another overdue update, I've taken the 4 Exciters off the back of the seat and replaced them with 2x Dayton BST-1s in a high/low configuration.

I'm also adding a Dayton BST-300EX to the bottom of the seat tonight, or later this week, so I'll get an inclusive update made after that.

I added a 4090 to replace my 3090 as well a week or two ago, and ended up needing to vertically mount it, so will get some shots of that up as well.

Don't think there have been any other updates other than those, at least not that I can remember.

Upvote 0
Curious on your or someones thoughts for the 300EX

Does it fall into BK Advance / renamed as PRO model, level of performance? Usually nice power just under 20Hz?

Probably better than BK Mini but not in the realms of larger Earthquake model or largest BK models, considering its, size, price.

For me, SIMHUB has far too many operational stereo effects to drop having it on a seat. 4 units wasnt really enough for that to shine. Depends on the effects used/made too I suppose but each person to their own preferences and ideas.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Curious on your or someones thoughts for the 300EX

Does it fall into BK Advance / renamed as PRO model, level of performance? Usually nice power just under 20Hz?

Probably better than BK Mini but not in the realms of larger Earthquake model or largest BK models, considering its, size, price.

For me, SIMHUB has far too many operational stereo effects to drop having it on a seat. 4 units wasnt really enough for that to shine. Depends on the effects used/made too I suppose but each person to their own preferences and ideas.
Never tried a BK Advance or any of the BK Mini’s, so can’t really say for certain. Same with the Earthquakes. I can say that it is 100% not as strong as the powerful units like the LFE’s I have, but it holds up fairly well overall. For the price, it is great. I feel it is good for RPM and also decent for Suspension based effects…and given it’s directly on the seat, makes a nice impression overall, on both.

BST-1s are good for RPM for me, some Traction/Slip as well mixed is nice.

Shift effects are generally fine on both, but personal preference if one wants that on the seat directly or not.

Adding a couple VBDS units in the next days/weeks, as I have a second EPQ now. Probably mostly RPM on both, but they may surprise me and I miss some Suspension in as well.

I want soften springs overall, to get more BOOM, but then also need to sort out ideas for how to avoid flex. Always something to do

Upvote 0
I never thought I needed one, but it feels so nice to have a slight brush if air across your face when in VR. Also eliminated lenses fogging up when the headset was not yet warmed up.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back