Released Bugatti Type 57 Atlantic

A great car by Iroker made originaly in 2003. Updated to compatible with Racer Ver 0.090 RC5.
bug57a.jpg

You can download it from WWW.Iroker.com, registration required.
Working wipers, backfire and better headlights have been added.
There are some other good cars on his website.

I took this thing for a quick spin and it is very beautiful on the outside, but i felt like it still could use a little work, like the wood on the steering wheel seemed overly reflective. and the glass on the gauges also seemed very reflective as well (maybe making a reflection map for the interior and applying it to that would look better).

Thanks for the comments Harey. I tried to resist adding a lot to the original work by Iroker but couldn't resist wipers, backfire, and headlights that illuminated the track..
There is one minor bug with the headlights... You can't see them when inside the car. Removing the "cull=none" line from the glass shader fixes that.

I really like this car. I got around to registering/downloading it.

It certainly conveys some soul and character really nicely.

But is it really so stiff? It doesn't seem to roll or pitch much which makes it hard to drive with any kind of limit feeling. I can drive it slowly and bask in the lovely interior and watching replays, but if I really open her up then I just seem to spin out a lot and get annoyed hehe.

If only Ruud would go over the sound system so we can really bring more spirit to these cars.

I notice on racer.nl there are additions to the sound system, but we don't have those tweaks yet... ie, damper noises, so when a certain damper speed is reached a sample plays.

Imagine being able to just play samples when certain events happen in these older cars, like creaks, knocks, bangs, whatever... even my new ish Z4 creaks and groans or whatever depending on the driving.

Dave

Fixed glass bug! Shader was problem and here's the really good glass shader. "depthwrite=always" did the trick.
Code:
vf_glass
{
  vertex_shader
  {
    file=dyn_standard_reflect_window_v.cg
  }
  fragment_shader
  {
    file=dyn_standard_reflect_window_f.cg
  }
}
and the shader:
Code:
shader_glass~vf_glass
{
      cast_shadow=1
      ; cull=none makes inside glass reflective, comment out if desired
      cull=none
      reflect=0.8
      shininess=0
      sort_offset=3
      specular=0.0 0.0 0.0 1
      ambient=0.0 0 0.1 1
      fresnel
      {
        bias=0.1
        power=2.0
        scale=1.0
      }
    layer0
    {
        map=glass.tga
            blendfunc=blend
            alphafunc=greater 140  ;# must be less than alpha #144 to make glass visible
            depthwrite=always
    }
    layer1
    {
          map=$trackenvmap
          mode=linear
          depthwrite=always
    }
}

Just so you don't have to type this all in.

Attachments

• glass shader.txt
    903 bytes · Views: 530
A better shader for the steering wheel for harey! it gives a nice effect of the sun lighting it.
Code:
shader_steer~vf_standard
{
  cast_shadow=1
  sort_offset=5
  cull=none
  reflect=0.9  ;1.0  ;amount of reflectivity
  shininess=50  ;5
  specular=0.5 0.5 0.5  ;0 0 0  ;0.2 0.2 0.2
layer0
  {
  map=steer.tga
  }
}

Just so you don't have to type this all in.

Attachments

• steering shader.txt
    239 bytes · Views: 428
But is it really so stiff? It doesn't seem to roll or pitch much which makes it hard to drive with any kind of limit feeling. I can drive it slowly and bask in the lovely interior and watching replays, but if I really open her up then I just seem to spin out a lot and get annoyed hehe.

If only Ruud would go over the sound system so we can really bring more spirit to these cars.

I notice on racer.nl there are additions to the sound system, but we don't have those tweaks yet... ie, damper noises, so when a certain damper speed is reached a sample plays.

Imagine being able to just play samples when certain events happen in these older cars, like creaks, knocks, bangs, whatever... even my new ish Z4 creaks and groans or whatever depending on the driving.

Dave
I did also notice the ultra-stiff seeming suspension (and maybe my mind was playing tricks but it seemed to dive into a turn even at times). But the whole spinout thing, while I'm sure it doesn't grip like a car today, I'm not sure it spins out at 50kmh around a roundabout; though my Bentley can't quite touch 50kmh in the same area, it just plows on though.

Having more sounds to play with would make it a little more fun, I noticed there's a throttle off noise which I would have real fun with (let off the throttle and the car would pop and spit)

Yep, throttle off has been NYI (but it does kinda work but only with hard coded values) for years and years.

It shouldn't be hard to finish these little things off but they never are which is sad... ie, playing a noise when the backfires are generated would be cool too... and bringing back the likelihood percentage too.
These older highly strung engines used to woofle and pop and bang on the over-run like nothing else so it'd really add to it to have a load of pops/bangs ready to play hehe :D

Dave

Mr Whippy, I got the Atlantic to do a backfire sound by adding an extra "smp" in the audio section. So there is a way to get some extra car sounds by adding them into the audio section of a car.ini file. Not the best way to do it but what the hey...

Yeah, you can kinda cheat by just adding them to the decelerate set at higher rpm... but ideally you only want them to play for a pre-set amount of time + some random influence.

Some stuff like rally cars and things can get away with this because they backfire loads (shame then that the backfire graphic doesn't)... but some cars just backfire a few times then stop...

I keep pestering Ruud about exposing audio playback to Onyx or something. That way we can just define a sample, whether to play it, loop it, when to play it, how to play it etc etc...

(ie, think about starting sound, we could play our looping starting sound with the key, then have an actual firing sound that plays as the rpm hits a certain RPM (start rpm) WHEN the button is pressed, so we get that realistic starting sound effect)

Right now we have no ability to determine how often the backfire gfx occurs. There used to be a random factor but now there is none... why?
I don't want overrun sounds to just play when they hit a hard-coded set of values, I want to define all the values that might determine when they play, since every car is a bit different.

As I've said before, hard coding is what hurts Racer, and hard coding elements that should have miles of flexibility is just silly.

Imo backfire shouldn't be a feature of Racer yet, it should be something we code and develop as a community via Onyx or whatever, and then we can refine, optimise etc... and if Ruud likes certain things he can copy them into Racer as full features that live in car.ini.

That way Ruud can focus on the core elements of Racer like physics etc, and Onyx... we can focus on making great content, and then Ruud can cherry pick the bits of coding we do that he likes to add as full features to the car.ini structure!

Sounds like a rant, it isn't... just a bit frustrated that half of these features are all in Racer right now, but they were never finished up. We could Sooooo easily finish them if they existed in Onyx, then Ruud can just copy them back when he thinks they are good enough.

Seems crazy for Ruud to try do everything when we are all sat here wanting to do it for him for FREE :D

Hmmm

Dave

Yeah, you can kinda cheat by just adding them to the decelerate set at higher rpm... but ideally you only want them to play for a pre-set amount of time + some random influence.

Some stuff like rally cars and things can get away with this because they backfire loads (shame then that the backfire graphic doesn't)... but some cars just backfire a few times then stop...

Dave
I actually got the backfire sound to work by using throttle_off with RC4, its quiet but its there. (I realized it was working when I had a gear whine set to that and kept on hearing it)

Yep it currently works, but all the values for it seem to be hard-coded.

It'd be nice to be able to link a sound to the particle backfire too for example, so you can get over-run rumbling and then a pop/bang random sample with the backfire!

:D

Dave

Yes, hard coding stuff is a pain, another example is skid marks. We get just one for any tire size unless we change the image. It doen't take a rocket sceintist to realise that skid marks should be part of the car folder.

Yes, hard coding stuff is a pain, another example is skid marks. We get just one for any tire size unless we change the image. It doen't take a rocket sceintist to realise that skid marks should be part of the car folder.

All you need to do is define the tires width in the car.ini and you will have correctly sized skidmarks.

Alex Forbin

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 375 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years