BTCC Season Finale: Brands Hatch Discussion Thread

Wow what an end to the season. Sutton gets last win for Subaru (only of season), Plato is one closer to his 100th win (97 now) and Colin's drive for the championship in race 3.

Colin did everything he needed to, only for it to be nearly taken away by Neil, who incidentally is not man enough to admit fault or even apologies. Colin Qualified on pole in the wet with max ballast. Got the race start in the 2nd race and drove from 25th to take the championship in the 3rd race. He deserved the win even though he has had his fair share.

Neil tut tut. I know he probably did not do it on purpose but he should know better at that point in the season. Anyway I am glad that did not make a difference and did not tarnish the season. Dan will have his day I am sure.

Roll on next season? Who would you put your money on? Camish, Turk, Butcher, Sutton in new car, Cook and you can never leave out the old guard Plato and Neil.

My money will be on Sutton if he gets a decent drive. If the Subaru had more straight line speed it would wipe the floor with the rest of the field with Sutton behind the wheel.

I would love to see Tom Chilton win it, you got to love Tom, the happiest man in Racing.

Oh I forgot, to top it all off I am £10 richer. I bet on Colin at beginning of season and my friend bet on Camish. Happy days

Last edited:
What a superb way for the BTCC to be decided, a great advert for close racing with an always-evolving set of rules that make it so.

I watched the final race yesterday but a busy day so I haven't seen any news on it since so a question for those who might have:

Did Dan Cammish's car have a technical issue when he crashed out? His brakes were running red hot throughout the race so was it a case of something got cooked or did he just overcook it into that corner?

Did Dan Cammish's car have a technical issue when he crashed out? His brakes were running red hot throughout the race so was it a case of something got cooked or did he just overcook it into that corner?
In the post race interview on ITV4 (in which he showed amazing maturity for someone who'd just been denied the championship, Kudos to him) Dan said it was brake failure.

What a superb way for the BTCC to be decided, a great advert for close racing with an always-evolving set of rules that make it so.

I watched the final race yesterday but a busy day so I haven't seen any news on it since so a question for those who might have:

Cammish stated it was a brake failure post race. I have to wonder if it was brought about by the dubious tactics of a certain Ford driver (not Chilton). who for some reason was driving like a juvenile penis. He seemed hell bent on ruining all champ contenders races, weaving, brake testing and blocking, even Turks gave him a TOCA push to pass but had the presence of mind to back out of it to avoid penalty. He wasn't in the hunt and moving over wouldn't have effected his final standing. Frankly IMHO it was a disgusting display and if I were his team boss I would be seriously reconsidering his place on the team. There has always been an unwritten rule that if you are not directly involved in the title chase then you do not impede the progress of genuine contenders. I'm not a Turkington fan but huge kudos for a brilliant champions drive in race 3, commiserations to Dan Cammish for having the title taken away in that manner thought kudos again for a very mature interview post race and good on the Baked Potatoe for showing that there's life in the old dog yet. Role on 2020

There has always been an unwritten rule that if you are not directly involved in the title chase then you do not impede the progress of genuine contenders.
I wonder how Matt Neal's efforts in Race 2 fit that custom? Or does he argue that he was directly involved in the title chase by taking out his team mate's rival?
In the end we got to see an exciting finish to the series, but maybe there really is such a thing as karma.

I used to be a Matt Neal fan but recently some of his "overtakes" have been questionable, the Hit on Colin race 2 is the final straw for me and Neal is now officially (in my book) an arse. Especially when he was unapologetic afterwards, I think he said he was along side...strange how the impact was on Colin's rear wheel!! It was a brainless "dive bomb" attempt ludicrous for someone with his experience at such an early stage of the race.

Cammish stated it was a brake failure post race. I have to wonder if it was brought about by the dubious tactics of a certain Ford driver (not Chilton). who for some reason was driving like a juvenile penis. He seemed hell bent on ruining all champ contenders races, weaving, brake testing and blocking, even Turks gave him a TOCA push to pass but had the presence of mind to back out of it to avoid penalty. He wasn't in the hunt and moving over wouldn't have effected his final standing. Frankly IMHO it was a disgusting display and if I were his team boss I would be seriously reconsidering his place on the team. There has always been an unwritten rule that if you are not directly involved in the title chase then you do not impede the progress of genuine contenders. I'm not a Turkington fan but huge kudos for a brilliant champions drive in race 3, commiserations to Dan Cammish for having the title taken away in that manner thought kudos again for a very mature interview post race and good on the Baked Potatoe for showing that there's life in the old dog yet. Role on 2020

You are talking about Jackson. He was in front most of the time how is that impeding? He was slipping and sliding in front of them but did not cause any issues really for the championship leaders. I will have to watch it again to see what your talking about. How come you are not having a go at Neal who should have known better? (I am sure it was not on purpose but he has been around long enough).

You are talking about Jackson. He was in front most of the time how is that impeding? He was slipping and sliding in front of them but did not cause any issues really for the championship leaders. I will have to watch it again to see what your talking about. How come you are not having a go at Neal who should have known better? (I am sure it was not on purpose but he has been around long enough).
Matt Neals move was bad but expected however, if you watch the footage the impact in fact was not on the rear of Turks car but to the leading edge of the drivers door just behind the A pillar. It's clearly visible in most of the footage post incident, not that that makes it OK. With regards to Jackson you can argue that all day without conclusion however whatever your feelings what can't be argued is that as soon as anyone did pass him they disappeared rapidly down the road. I've always rated him until now but his rep for me is now tainted. As stated before he wasn't a contender and it was bad form interrupting the title fight the way he did. However yet again the BTCC delivered and this year I feel a worthy champion. Roll on next season

Matt Neals move was bad but expected however, if you watch the footage the impact in fact was not on the rear of Turks car but to the leading edge of the drivers door just behind the A pillar. It's clearly visible in most of the footage post incident, not that that makes it OK. With regards to Jackson you can argue that all day without conclusion however whatever your feelings what can't be argued is that as soon as anyone did pass him they disappeared rapidly down the road. I've always rated him until now but his rep for me is now tainted. As stated before he wasn't a contender and it was bad form interrupting the title fight the way he did. However yet again the BTCC delivered and this year I feel a worthy champion. Roll on next season

I agree they did disappear up the road but he was racing to keep his position and with the different tyres and changeable conditions it could have played into his hands. As it was it did not. Again you seem to let Neil off for his involvement (which I am glad made no difference) but have a go at Jackson for not letting faster cars at that point of the race, past easily. Ingram also got involved but you do not mention him.

Just to add Neil got reprimanded but Jackson did not hmmm. Also if Jackson had not been there would the race have been such a nail biter.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:
I agree they did disappear up the road but he was racing to keep his position and with the different tyres and changeable conditions it could have played into his hands. As it was it did not. Again you seem to let Neil off for his involvement (which I am glad made no difference) but have a go at Jackson for not letting faster cars at that point of the race, past easily. Ingram also got involved but you do not mention him.

Just to add Neil got reprimanded but Jackson did not hmmm. Also if Jackson had not been there would the race have been such a nail biter.

We will have to agree to disagree.
Matt Neil was completely out of order with his move and rightly got reprimanded for it. You mention Ingram, as I recall he was nearly 2 secs a lap faster than Jackson and on the pace with the others. Obviously you're a Jackson fan and rightly fighting his corner but he was slow and got in the way. Why I don't know, I do know he's usually a lot faster than he was on Sun. In fairness to the lad he was blocking everyone so I suppose that was fair. whether that was the cause of Cammishes brakes going or not I don't know. But when another driver is having to stomp the brakes mid corner to avoid contact, that in my book is blocking

Matt Neil was completely out of order with his move and rightly got reprimanded for it. You mention Ingram, as I recall he was nearly 2 secs a lap faster than Jackson and on the pace with the others. Obviously you're a Jackson fan and rightly fighting his corner but he was slow and got in the way. Why I don't know, I do know he's usually a lot faster than he was on Sun. In fairness to the lad he was blocking everyone so I suppose that was fair. whether that was the cause of Cammishes brakes going or not I don't know. But when another driver is having to stomp the brakes mid corner to avoid contact, that in my book is blocking

No not a fan, just did not see him being in the wrong. I have not watched it back yet to check your complaints but now your blaming him for Camish's brakes failing. Also Camish is know to be heavy on the brakes more so than other drivers. I don't think Jackson's Pace had anything to do with Camish's brakes. You could see his disks where red hot and others following were normal. The brakes are just bad luck not helped by his style perhaps.

I mention Ingram cause he was putting pressure on Camish and Colin, I believe he touched both rear bumpers. That is more hassle to the drivers than a slow car in front. I will admit that if I was Jackson (dreaming) that I would like to think I would have got out of the way, but that is why I probably would not make a successful driver.

Anyway we can both agree it was a great season and we are looking forward to next year. Who's your money on? Sutton for me if he gets a decent drive and a car that can keep up on the straights.

No not a fan, just did not see him being in the wrong. I have not watched it back yet to check your complaints but now your blaming him for Camish's brakes failing. Also Camish is know to be heavy on the brakes more so than other drivers. I don't think Jackson's Pace had anything to do with Camish's brakes. You could see his disks where red hot and others following were normal. The brakes are just bad luck not helped by his style perhaps.

I mention Ingram cause he was putting pressure on Camish and Colin, I believe he touched both rear bumpers. That is more hassle to the drivers than a slow car in front. I will admit that if I was Jackson (dreaming) that I would like to think I would have got out of the way, but that is why I probably would not make a successful driver.

Anyway we can both agree it was a great season and we are looking forward to next year. Who's your money on? Sutton for me if he gets a decent drive and a car that can keep up on the straights.
If TOCA ease up on the weight ballast they've put in the engine bay of the Subaru I can't see Sutton being beaten however I think we both know that won't happen. It might be me but it seems that every time anyone gets close to the BMWs they get weight penalties or turbo restrictions slapped on them (Honda, Ford and Subaru are some that come to mind}. Mind you it is the BTCC and you can never rule out the likes of Jordan, Ingram and maybe as a dark hose dare I say Plato. I think if Cammish can work out the differences between a Porsche and a Honda Civic he's got to be in there also. Whatever happens I think it's going to be another belting season

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 378 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 257 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%