BTCC | Matt Neal Hits Tree - Remains in Hospital

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Three-time British Touring Car Champion Matt Neal isn't as tough as mother nature, suffering significant injuries following a bike accident when out training in the British countryside.

Having only just announced he will return to BTCC action for a 30th consecutive season at the recent Autosport Show in Birmingham, 53-year-old Honda Yuasa Racing team leader Matt Neal has suffered some painful sounding injuries after losing control of his mountain bike, and colliding with a tree...

Reporting on Social Media as to his current health status, Neal has confirmed he will remain in hospital 'for the next few days' as he looks to recover from a broken clavicle, multiple fractures to his shoulder, a broken rib, and a punctured lung that eventually collapsed following the impact.

With the BTCC season set to kick off at Donington Park this coming March 28th - 29th, preceded by an intense period of pre-season testing for many of the teams set to take part in 2020, Neal already finds himself in a race to recover full fitness before looking to add to his 63 BTCC race victories.

Last edited:
Well wishes on a full and quick recovery although it is curious to do athletic training for the sport you are proficient at that involves such risk.

Might see Gordon Shedden making a comeback then...

With Audi out of WTCR, plus Shedden's struggles in the series last couple of years, wouldn't be in the least surprised to see him back in BTCC in 2020. Maybe not in Neal's seat, as I'm sure he'll be fit, but don't be surprised in the 'wee scot' comes back and starts winning races with someone this season...

Mountain biking is great exercise and a helluva rush, but I hit my fair share of trees and other hard, inanimate and unforgiving objects and gave it up eventually in lieu of maintaining the ability to use anything below my neck and a potentially longer life. That said, I had done some road biking previously but found trees are much more predictable than motorists, I'd swear some of them were aiming for me...

Some say that it was a tree planted in September 2011 by some mysterious bloke from Oxfordshire...
This rumor has some credibility. I know of a guy with such will and focus. Speaking of that "bloke" (the name I use for him starts with a "w", but I digress ;)), he looked a bit better last year. Not a fan myself (obviously) but for his sake I hope he's more on form this season.

...wouldn't be in the least surprised to see him back in BTCC in 2020.
Now that would be an interesting twist, Flash was always fast and not afraid to scrap with someone. I have no issues with Turk or the bimmers but in the right equipment Shedden could certainly make it tougher for another championship repeat.

Last edited:
Hope he makes a speedy recovery. It does baffle me too with regards to the training for Motorsport being more dangerous than driving with a grid full of crazies at over 150mph every other weekend...

I hope he recovers very soon. As a SIMRacers we all forget just how dangerous this sport actually is. We get the luxury of restarting a race after we have flipped end over end. These brave souls do not.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 236 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 164 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 159 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 120 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 225 14.1%