BTB Improvements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendon Pywell

Bob's Track Builder
Believe it or not, I get quite a few emails with suggestions on how BTB could be improved. Rather than me simply “sorting” them in my own Inbox, I’d like to openly ask the BTB community for their suggestions, allowing suggestions to be discussed and workshopped. I have a few ideas (pages of them) myself but it's always refreshing to get other people's ideas.

Aside from the next patch, I pretty much know what I am going to include in the next version. Beyond that I also have some great ideas as I address what I perceive to be BTB’s most common “annoyances”.

So please, feel free to offer your ideas on what you’d like to see in the upcoming releases. I’ll refrain from comment, but I will be taking notes.

In a next update it would be great if it would be possible to convert track parts in to terrain.
Than aligning or joining multiple track parts perfectly is no problem anymore.
Also you it make runoff areas with aligned textures possible.
Just convert the trackpart into a terrainpart (while keeping the texture direction) and than glue it to the rest of the terrain (and delete the vertexes you don't need anymore).
You can still keep a inactive copy of the part you converted for later use or if you need to redo something.

I'd LOVE to export to KRP as that would be the same as Exporting for PiBoSo's other (AWESOME!) simulator, 'GP Bikes'....

But, what I'd REALLY like to see is a BTB Upload/Download section returned to Race Department as I have been requesting for some time here
Perhaps if some more in the communtiy could weigh-in on this, or perhaps if Piddy could contact the admins- I dunno....

Support for 'billboard' objects would be nice. That involves setting a flag in the scn file and wring pivot point coordinates to the gmt file. For 3dSimed compatibility it would also be necessary to set 'Moveable' to true.

Dae imports seem to be messed up for me. i getting a lot of exception errors, 3ds is okay. gone back to sketchup 7. to see if that was the problem, no!!!.

exception: System.Exception: TODO: mesh parts have different vertex buffer definition

Hi everybody!
I just found out this thread and is great to see such nice feedback for this incredible piece of software despite it steals me a lot of sleeping hours ;)
I must say that I'm very much in line with R Soul ideas who is providing an excellent feedback IMO.

Many of the things that need to be improved have already been suggested. I would like just to synthesize some them and add my own ideas to several topics.

- Conversion to newest sim titles
This is basically linked to quality. The graphical capabilities of latest sims are one step ahead of the ones already covered. Apart from the pure format export, these require several new techniques that in some cases are out of the possibilities of the program (face billboarding, new shaders, texture mapping, ...). Having to use a secondary software to deal with those can be a solution for conversions between different sim formats. However, when dealing with an evolving project within BTB, it is a pain in the butt.

- Track editing and terrain
Merging tracks and dealing with texture blending is really annoying right now. The quality of the solution is usually very poor in comparison with what we can see today in original rF2 and AC tracks. This needs to be seriously rethought in order to be functional. Many ideas and problems have been raised but this issue needs to be carefully solved.
IMO one of the most interesting concepts is the possibility to convert a track into terrain. Also when grass is created, the possibility to use the track direction as the mapping spline should be included. Open roads should be able to add grass in the extremes. The way the first panel is attached to the road is terrible. It should be always be attached to the edge and not alternate appearance between assigning materials and editing nodes! The create from side and join should be applicable of course to track edges.

- Object and material managing.
Objects should be listed, renameable and categorized. Default names should use xpackname +index. Possibility to create merge groupd for merging objects when export
Same for materials. Material shaders should be updated (real road, real grass,

- Others
Face-billboard support for trees would be great.
Animations would be nice.
Directly importing other objects without creating an xpack (by updating it) would be very nice. Pretty much handled like when loading a texture. I would maintain xpack structure though to edit the default characteristics of each object and material.
I think that the fast line spline calculation should be improved.
HDR editing and real rendering utility would be awesome
Multiple layout support.

Thanks

additional on the above..
Ai Editing : pit lanes special speed block : to slow the cars down in pits .atm they just plough through pitlane.
AI Editing:
left and right lanes to b introduce.: this is also part of the yellow flag system/rolling starts. has you can see clear if an accident happens.the ai drive of the track and stick to the edge of terrain.
AI Editing: endcaps to be introduced. to make split pits and garage areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back