BSOD shortly after cold boot

GeekyDeaks

Staff
Premium
I have a peculiar issue. My machine will happily chug along all day flawlessly if I give it about 30 minutes to warm up before launching a sim. If I try to fire up something a little too quickly after power up, I can pretty much guarantee I will be greeted with a BSOD shortly after the VR headset kicks in.

Looking at the MEMORY.DMP, I see the following:

Code:
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1a)
    # Any other values for parameter 1 must be individually examined.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000041792, A corrupt PTE has been detected. Parameter 2 contains the address of
    the PTE. Parameters 3/4 contain the low/high parts of the PTE.
Arg2: fffff5813332d010
Arg3: 0000000003000000
Arg4: 0000000000000000

I have taken the memory out and reseated them back in, but it's still the same. Also ran the Memory Diagnostic several times and it passed each one flawlessly.

I'm assuming this is thermal and there is probably a problem with my motherboard, but I used my old trick of blowing cold air on parts to try and identify the location and haven't been able to trigger it.

I would prefer not to randomly buy new parts in the hope it fixes it and actually identify the faulty component. Anyone have any bright ideas?

Is it definitely system memory and not Vram?? Do you have a GPU Overclock? if si might be worth knocking 10% off the memory overclock to see if that helps. Overclocks that are at the bleeding edge of the limit can cause BSOD if tested from cold.

Ok, something is not right. I seem to be gradually told that every non-microsoft driver is faulty. I now have no network drivers, nor the logitech drivers so my wheel doesn't work fully. I'm now just removing the NVidia drivers...

I think I have a hardware fault... surely all those drivers cannot be faulty?

When you say "cold" boot, and also talk about letting it cool down for an hour, I wondering if you mean that the problem never occurs right after a "warm" boot.
To ask a clear question: let's say you get the BSOD and reboot instantly; can you then reliably trigger it again if you follow the same recipe?

Could you try running with less RAM?
Oh, do you mean take one stick out? I'll see if the board supports that

When you say "cold" boot, and also talk about letting it cool down for an hour, I wondering if you mean that the problem never occurs right after a "warm" boot.
That seems to be the case. I cannot trigger it after the machine has been on for a few minutes. I have to really get in quick after the first power on.

To ask a clear question: let's say you get the BSOD and reboot instantly; can you then reliably trigger it again if you follow the same recipe?
Not tried that. I'll give it a go tomorrow on first power up. Normally I spend 5-10mins running the memory dump through windbg, so I have not normally got it to trigger a second time after powering the machine on

Fingers crossed, but it might be resolved.

Took your advice and pulled one memory stick out. Switched on and fired up ED, no BSOD. Let it cool for an hour and swapped the memory over. Switched on and fired up ED, no BSOD. Let it cool once more and put both memory back (but now in reversed slots to before), fired up ED and again, no BSOD. Left it to cool overnight and fired it up again this morning and still could not trigger the BSOD.

I don't remember when I reseated them before if I swapped them over, but I cannot be arsed to swap them over to check again :D

Thanks for the support!

Last edited:
Fingers crossed, but it might be resolved.

Took your advice and pulled one memory stick out. Switched on and fired up ED, no BSOD. Let it cool for an hour and swapped the memory over. Switched on and fired up ED, no BSOD. Let it cool once more and put both memory back (but now in reversed slots to before), fired up ED and again, no BSOD. Left it to cool overnight and fired it up again this morning and still could not trigger the BSOD.

I don't remember when I reseated them before if I swapped them over, but I cannot be arsed to swap them over to check again :D

Thanks for the support!
Seems like it's sorted, nice!

My 2 cents after the initial post would be that your GPU might boost too high.
I had my GPUs causing driver crashes/crash to desktop when I put the heaters off over night.
At 20°c my 1070 likes to boost above 2100 MHz, which wasn't stable at all... When the room was at my standard 22°c and my PC would have run a bit in idle, the GPU would be around 40°c.
At 40° it would only boost to around 2060 MHz, still too high... During gaming it would actually run at 2000-2020 MHz, totally stable though! But at 70-80°c!

That's why my GPU OC curve looks like this now:
1613433461367.png

Basically:
- Go to your highest stable clock and stay there
- Don't boost higher than you should, moron

(that's my 3070, not the 1070)

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 362 15.8%
  • < 2 years