Bruno Senna to race for McLaren GT

mclarengt_bruno_senna01.jpg

Former F1 driver and current Formula E racer Bruno Senna will join McLaren's factory GT team for the 2015 season. He will race the McLaren 650S GT3 alongside Rob Bell, Kevin Estre and Alvaro Parente.

Senna, 31, will participate in selected races of McLaren GT's calendar. The Brazilian has experience in a number of major championships, including Formula 1, European Le Mans Series, World Endurance Championship and the Blancpain Endurance Series. He has also raced for McLaren customer team Von Ryan Racing at the 2013 Total 24 Hours of Spa. Throughout 2014, he took part in the GTE class of the FIA World Endurance Championship and the 24 Hours of Le Mans, securing 2 WEC class wins in 2014.

Senna said: ‘It is a great honour for me to be joining McLaren; a team my uncle enjoyed such huge success with, and one of the most famous names in motorsport. 2015 is a big year for the whole of McLaren, and it is an exciting time to be part of everything that is taking place.

‘I am looking forward to working with the team at McLaren GT who I had a chance to get to know when I raced at the Spa 24 hour a couple of years ago, and I am really looking forward to getting behind the wheel of the new 650S. A lot of effort has gone into the development of the car since the 12C GT3, which I raced, and it made a big impression on its debut at the end of last season. It is shaping up to be a big year ahead.'

Senna and McLaren,
nice one
Bruno Senna Lalli and McLaren
nothing special :roflmao:

Over-hyped driver that hasn't achieved much since his second place in GP2 back in 2008.

Stop playing the "uncle card" each season and start hitting the throttle please :thumbsup:

Bruno Senna Lalli and McLaren
nothing special :roflmao:

Over-hyped driver that hasn't achieved much since his second place in GP2 back in 2008.

Stop playing the "uncle card" each season and start hitting the throttle please :thumbsup:

Not often I totally disagree with you. But you mean Bruno Lalli, the nephew of Ayrton da Silva? Either none is a "Senna" or both. And a 2nd place in GP2 after, what, 4 or 5 years racing. That's pretty awesome.

My post was more in the line of Senna and McLaren re united as names.
And yes of course his Uncle was Ayrton Senna Da Silva.
His first UK F3 team had trouble with pronouncing Ayrton so called him Frank I think it was.

Bruno drove pretty well at Le mans in my view in the Aston.

@Ole Marius Myrvold do you really think he would have had any career in motorsport based on purely his driving skills? I don't as I honestly don't recognize the "huge talent" some people claim he has.

Each season it's the same story. Same Senna helmet, same Senna name, always trying to get in with the same teams his uncle raced for. And as the Senna name is such a huge brand and marketing magnet he gets the job done every year and then silently disappears again to repeat the same trick the season after.

Does it show I am not a fan :) ?

It's cool to see a reunion of Senna with McLaren and funny to also think that McLaren are running Honda engines in F1 this year too :D

To those who don't like him, you're entitled to your opinion. But considering the stiff competition of the WEC and to win there requires some strong driving ability. I'm not saying he's Ayrton, Ayrton was a truly magnificent talent that was continuously developed and nourished since he was 8. Bruno raced for a while when he was younger but stopped after '94 so had he stayed racing, he may have been something more than he is today. But I don't blame or judge him for his decision. Most people in his position would probably never race again after losing a close relative but he came back, and while he isn't a super talent, he has some ability.

@Bram the Senna name is massively double-edged. Damon Hill talked of this when he was racing, that everyone expected him to be an amazing talent like his dad and he was, but with Bruno, the pressure is even greater. I'm sure Mick Schumacher will go through the same.

Ultimately, each man races his own way, regardless of heritage. People will have high expectations of drivers related to the greats but it would be unfair. There is nothing unique of the Senna bloodline, Ayrton himself struggled in his early days in karting and amazing as he was, Prost and Mansell kept him honest, right from '88 through '91.

Last edited:
@Ole Marius Myrvold do you really think he would have had any career in motorsport based on purely his driving skills? I don't as I honestly don't recognize the "huge talent" some people claim he has.
If - by not beeing in that family, they'd still have enough money for it, I would very much think so. As then he wouldn't have been "banned" from racing after Ayrton died, and could've polished his skills over many many more years.
Each season it's the same story. Same Senna helmet, same Senna name, always trying to get in with the same teams his uncle raced for. And as the Senna name is such a huge brand and marketing magnet he gets the job done every year and then silently disappears again to repeat the same trick the season after.
I don't see the problem with the Senna helmet, it's his uncle, his uncle was a big family-man, the family itself looked like they were a close family, even more after Ayrton died. If I'd had a motorsport-guy in my family that died doing whatever he was, I would also use his helmet design, as an honor, as a family thing.

He wasn't to hopeless with Oreca or Aston Martin either. But I agree, that over 5 years, it's a bit... 'funny' to see him driving for all the teams his uncle was famous for driving for...
I just wish he'd had a full season in F1, with full support with everything equal as his teammate.
HRT was... HRT, Lotus was under a half season, Williams was with 15 FP1 less than 'normal'.
Does it show I am not a fan :) ?

It does, but that doesn't bother me at least ^^,

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 162 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 305 27.7%