Broadband Help

Yesterday my internet was being crazy for most of the day. Kept getting dropped sometimes and really slow download speeds for some reason.

ISP is Virgin, but never happened before, did it only happen yesterday Ben?

Erm, you know the difference between small b and capital B? Cuz from your story in startpost it doesn't seem so.
b = bit
B = byte

650kB = 650*8 -> 5200kb
1MB = 8Mb = 1024kB = 8192kb

So if you have 8Mb internet connection. You can download with 1MB/sec maximum. Usually it will be around 0.8MB/s also shown as 800kB/s

Connect a good telephone into your master socket. Your master socket is the main socket in the house not any extensions and is behind the main faceplat. Remove the facplate and plugin your phone then dial 17070.

At the time of writing you hear a female pre-recorded voice say:
This circuit is defined as Your number inc STD code.
BT line test facilities.
Please press 1 for ring back, 2 for quiet line, 3 for fast test, 4 for fast cleanse or clear down.
[message repeats 3 times]
Select option 2 (quiet line) and listen to what you hear. You should hear perfect silence on the line - there should be no pops, clicks, whistles, buzzing and the like. If you do not hear silence first check it isn’t the phone you are using, wiggle the cable a bit to see if that affects it, if not then you know you have a problem with your line to the BT exchange. Any problems with ADSL connectivity (low speed, connections always dropping, etc) are likely caused by this also retest on a rainy day.
You can now put your master socket together again and re-enable all the phones in your house. If you do have any pops, clicks, whistles, buzzing and the like you need to inform BT that you suspect you have a fault on your line.

Testing the internal wiring of your building.

So you’ve performed the test at the master socket and all sounds good.
Now you can perform the exact same test again, but this time with a phone where your ADSL modem would connect in. This should include any and all telephone extensions you intend to use.
If you hear noise on the line now you can deduce that the interference is coming from inside your house.
Things to check for are telephone cables running near transformers or motors and compressors, faulty equipment on the line introducing noise. Hopefully by removing equipment and tracing back the line you will be able to identify the source of the noise and replace/remove it.

How far from the local exchange are you?

The BT line test facility allows you to obtain your distance from the exchange. To do this dial the same line test number (17070), select option 3 (fast test) then option 1 (to say you are authorised). Then press option 2 (ring back test) and replace the handset.
After about 10 seconds you will be called back and one of the pieces of information returned will be the distance from the exchange (in kilometres). I understand BT engineers normally repeat this test 3 times and take an average. The results itself are calculated by sending a low amplitude high frequency signal down your line and listening to the farthest reflection (at your house) - therefore they are likely to vary by 100 meters or so.

The number doesn’t work for me, all I get is ”There is no CLI detected for this circuit”.

This means you have Caller ID blocked on your line. To get around this dial instead 1470 17070.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 375 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%