Broadband Help

Hello :wave:

My internet speed is really slow ( ranges from 5kb to 50kb), but when I run a speed test it says i am getting my normal download speed (650 KB).
I was on the phone to BT, but they can't report a fault as they say there is no issue. BUT THERE IS AN ISSUE

so what the hell can i do?

Thanks for your help

Edit: service provider is BT business broadband (no cable in my area, just standard dsl) and we cant change provider.

• Andrew Evans

why bother, bucko?... sounds like a clear case of doing it wrong....

well by looking at the speed
it said you should get up to 20 mb connection if not mistaken (which should be in theory 20/8 = 2.5MB per second maximum download speed)......so a 650kb is really slow (.65 * 8 = 5.2mb connection.....this is what you are getting maximum in theory....so somewhere you are loosing 14mb speed connection)
best is to enter here your phone number and see what kind of maximum speed you should receive on paper...and then complain to them why you are not getting this speed at all
http://business.bt.com/broadband-and-internet/internet-access/broadband

(also good to search around for a tool that shows the nearest server location to you....I once stumbled on it on the internet, but right now don't know where to find it anymore)

The brits have kinda perfected the art of *****ing and whining, which is also why they dont take much notice of it when the *****ing and whining is directed at them.....

It is possibly a modem/router fault, but most likely BT connections somewhere (which obviously our BT man in the crowd will be able to check out:question:) but I assume you have done your firmware upgrades etc? Also, are you still using a wireless connection for your PC? As that may have some bearing on this problem too

• Andrew Evans

are you torrenting?

(not that i would evah do that...)

but bt seem to throttle torrents up until about 11pm...

The brits have kinda perfected the art of *****ing and whining, which is also why they dont take much notice of it when the *****ing and whining is directed at them.....

It is possibly a modem/router fault, but most likely BT connections somewhere (which obviously our BT man in the crowd will be able to check out:question:) but I assume you have done your firmware upgrades etc? Also, are you still using a wireless connection for your PC? As that may have some bearing on this problem too

I did think wireless, so i turned of my wireless stuff and plugged straight into modem by cable and it was still ****e

Evans no torrents running at all (they suck)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 194 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 251 13.4%