British Youngster Billy Monger Loses Lower Legs in Horrific F4 Accident

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Billy Monger Donington Park Accident.jpg

Talented British F4 racing driver Billy Monger has lost both his legs following an horrific accident during the British Touring Car supporting Formula 4 race at Donington Park on Sunday.

Monger, 17, crashed his JHR Developments open wheel Formula 4 car into the back of the stranded Finnish driver Patrik Pasma after being unsighted on the run up to the fast Schwantz Curve at Donington Park, connecting violently with the stationary car and destroying the front of his own machine whilst suffering a violent deceleration from speeds in excess of 100 mph.

Marshals were on the scene of the accident quickly last Sunday morning, however it took nearly 2 hours to extract the former Ginetta Junior and two time 2017 podium winning driver, who was later airlifted to the nearby hospital in Derby.

Tragically doctors have today confirmed that despite the best efforts of the medical team they were unable to save Monger's lower legs following extensive surgery.

In an effort to support the family in this difficult time JHR team boss Steven Hunter, with support of Billy Monger's immediate family, has opened up a Just Giving page for fans and motorsport insiders to donate towards the growing medical fees for this brave young man.

You can contribute to the Just Giving page HERE as they look to raise £260,000 to help him overcome his life changing injuries.

The thoughts and best wishes of all at RaceDepartment go out to Billy and his family at this difficult time.

CORRECTION: Further clarification reveals that Monger has indeed not lost his legs fully as a consequence of the accident. The injury sustained by the driver have resulted in the amputation of his lower legs. Apologies for the initial mis communication.

Billy Monger Donington Park Accident 3.jpg
Billy Monger Donington Park Accident 4.jpg
Billy Monger Donington Park Accident 2.jpg

Last edited:
On monday i saw the video of the crash and already had a sick feeling about it, especially about the legs. That did not look good in any form. Incoming news confirmed that and now one of the worst cases possible happened.

A very young man (i mean just imagine beeing 17 and driving Formula 4, that's like the perfect path so far) losing both his legs and a lot of his future. I want to believe he is able to pull of a Alex Zanardi, but at this stage of his career including the high costs i can not truly believe it.

What a tragic moment. All the best for him and his family!

Yeh I saw the replay of it yesterday, he was at full chat straight into the rear end of a stationary one, awful accident and so sad for someone so young.

Knowing the racing community that value will be reached easily and I feel (truly feel) for the kid. Once my credit card tab closes at the end of the month and if the donation still goes on I'll certainly donate 10£ to the family.

For me, this is easily the thing (not counting death) I fear the most aside being paraplegic, considering I had an experience of suffering the shock of not being able to move the legs for like 5 minutes after saving a football kick (I'm a goalkeeper in football) and falling on a small bump on the field with my back on it when I was younger (I was 16 back then). Easily the worst traumatic experience in my whole life. Obviously this doesn't compare to what this kid is going through and will go through.

I just hope he comes back strong and take Zanardi as an inspiration.

#staystrongbilly

Kept searching for updates and then when I finally get one....
:(
So sorry for this young man. I do hope he can find peace and redirect if necessary.
I have a medical condition that stripped me of many of the things I loved in life and made others very difficult. Fortunately I found other interest and ways to feel competitive and engaged. (Thanks sim racing community!!)
It may not be how we want it but adapting can help you find peace and enjoy life.

Got this going on FB as well. I actually saw it live....I felt so sick, as @Gopher04 said, it was full on charge, no and I mean NO lift off throttle as he just didn't have time.

Although we are sim racers and we can "ESC" at the end of the day, we are all drivers.......

Shaun

I hope he'll recover as good as possible. You can have a great and fulfilling life nowadays, even with such an injury. I wish him and his family all the best.

Yeah, poor Billy, I feel really sorry for him and hope he is able to recover well from this.

I hope the marshals who were at the scene are feeling fine. I've been unfortunate enough to have to deal with an ultimately fatal accident, and it is really not nice. From what I've heard, the marshals did the right thing at the incident, so full credit to them. It's not what anyone wants to see, it is not what marshals want to have to deal with, but we're trained for anything and can deal with it if required.

Wishing Billy a speedy recovery, and wishing the marshals who saw the incident good thoughts as they deal with it.

MOD EDIT: Seriously man this post from you is beyond pathetic. You really must consider going to a different site now, I've had enough of you.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 143 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 270 27.4%