rF2 British Touring Car Cup @ Croft Circuit - Thursday 5th November 2015

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
That was FUN!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::):):) Thanx! :thumbsup:

Started at 7 th had a great start and gained 2 spots. Was in 5th for some time till a cone made me spin off. Had to wait for the field to pass to return safely back to track. I was 9th now and had great pace. I overtook car after car and was riding as high as 4th ...than I ran out of fuel....:notworthy:

I took 23laps of fuel, but ran out in lap 20....:cry:

The 2nd race was a lot of fun.:roflmao:

Thanx guys! :thumbsup:

I took 23laps of fuel, but ran out in lap 20....:cry:

I was just lucky not to face the same destiny

Based on laptimes and fuel consumption (TrackMap data) from my off-line practice sessions I calculated the amount fuel needed to approx. 17-18 lit. So to be on the safe side I filled up with 25 lit (approx. 45% extra). At the end of the race I had 1 lit left in the tank.
I figured I'd taken on fuel to have a big margin, but that was'nt the case.

How do you others do? Do you go by what's suggested by rF2? Any rule of thumb?

Was an interesting night of racing. Hadn't done any laps on the track before doing my qualy :D Should've had time to do a handful of laps in practice when I joined the server but got stuck in the bathroom for 15-20 mins :p

Of course I've driven the car before and know Croft, but not since last week's club race and this version of Croft wasn't familiar. So needed some laps in the race to get familiar with things and find consistency and pace.

Had fun battling with cars and then found myself in P2 way behind @Tobias Röhner and there was no chance I could drive up to him! But he then made a mistake and spun and gifted P1 to me.

Tyre wear was more of an issue this week as I did some damage to them while figuring things out and so was locking wheels, sliding around and going off track :D Had 16% tread left on left front compared to 52% or 56% or something like that last week at Brands :D

Oh, and GF called soon after I said I can do a second race so had to bail for that reason.

Look guys, it's very simple: You get the trackmap plugin. You add the Fuel consumption widget. You get an average laptime. Then you take the race length (in seconds) and divide by your average laptime (in seconds). This gives you an estimate of race length in laps. You multiply that number with your average fuel consumption per lap that you get from the widget, and voila, you get your minimum fuel requirement for the race. Add to that 10-5 litres and you're set.

One gripe I have with ISI gMotor games is that you can't trust the in-game estimated laps you can do with N amount of fuel. It can be close or it can be way off. From what I've understood there should be some info put in the track/car by its creator to get somewhat accurate estimates. Not sure about this though.

@Tal 's suggestion works fine. I myself have several ways to do fuel calculations but I don't use the TrackMap plugin. I've got a small USB display that runs Z1 Dashboard software which gives me Motec Like display. And in addition to that I've got DashMeterPro running on a tabled. I can use either of those to do the math Tal described. In addition to those I can also do the math when not in the game using Motec data.

Oh, and as for a sort of rule of thumb, once you've calculated fuel once for said car on one track it's going to be roughly the same for every other track with same race length.

So for example I had taken 30 liters for the Brands race in the Civic. I think I had about 4 liters or so extra at the end of the race. So for Croft and other tracks to come 30 should be enough.

And that 4 liters extra fuel you carry per lap won't make a meaningful difference in laptime. I don't get those people who calculate fuel to the last drop and then at times run out of fuel on last lap. I aim to carry 1 lap worth of extra fuel in league races.

One more note. It might be worth using the laptime of the fastest driver to calculate the fuel as in timed races the leader is the one who determines how many laps you will do. Assuming you won't get lapped.

And if you don't want to use any apps like dashmeter or trackmap, just look at how much the fuel goes down per lap and make your calculations on that and add 10 - 15L. Not as accurate but it works.

Look guys, it's very simple: You get the trackmap plugin. You add the Fuel consumption widget. You get an average laptime. Then you take the race length (in seconds) and divide by your average laptime (in seconds). This gives you an estimate of race length in laps. You multiply that number with your average fuel consumption per lap that you get from the widget, and voila, you get your minimum fuel requirement for the race. Add to that 10-5 litres and you're set.

Well as I said, that's exactly what I did, using TrackMap including adding 8L extra fuel. And I did'nt run out of fuel in the race, so that was not really a problem.

Although maybe not so clear in my post, my point was more a question/reflection about the difference between the calculated fuel consumtion based on practice laps and the actual consumption over the race which differs about 40-50 %. But, no big deal and nothing to dig into, just a reflection :)

By the way, although I'm a rookie in simracing please rest assured that I'm far from a rookie on maths ;)

Thanks all for your advice on this matter :thumbsup:

Were you using more or less fuel than expected?
I always do my practice laps with a full tank, so with the hightest possible consumption, since the car is heavier and even then, I get the same consumption lap after lap after lap.

I get higher consumption than calculated.

Formerly I've done my practice with the amount that's assigned by rF2 without giving it much thought and then just adjusted the volume when it comes to quali and race. But for my practise now for Road America I will fill up a full tank to attain max consumption and see what it gives.

Perhaps it could also be that I drive the car much harder (higher fuel consumption?) in the race compared to practice.

Which ever result I will put in at least 10L extra for tonights race :)

I calculated the number of laps I would have done in the 30 minute race. I came to 21 laps, so took 23 laps of fuel (not using any plugins). In lap 20 at the end of sector 2...out of fuel. In race 2 I took 30 laps of fuel and finished with 5.4l left (showing on my sli-pro display).
The other thing is that I was quicker in laptimes than when I calculated it...:D

Yeah, it would be the same as other sims where you need to get a decent amount of laps full pace for correct data to be gathered. Going +1-2 seconds a lap can cause a lot of extra fuel to be used.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 195 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.4%