British Grand Prix - Who's Going?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
British Grand Prix - Whos Going.jpg

The biggest race of the year for British motorsport is fast approaching... with our large UK readership we thought it would be nice to know which of our readers will be at Silverstone this coming weekend...

Formula One and Silverstone are a partnership that goes back to the very beginning of the Grand Prix World Championship, having hosted the very first World Championship race all the way back in 1950 and having remained an ever present of the F1 calendar since.

The track is universally loved by the current crop of Grand Prix drivers, and never fails to achieve an incredible atmosphere from the knowledgeable and passionate F1 crowd.

With a British multiple World Champion at the front of the pack in one of the closest seasons in recent years, 2017 should see another epic British Grand Prix at Silverstone next weekend.

So from our many thousands of readers here at RaceDepartment, who is planning to make the trip to Northamptonshire this weekend, and are you looking forward to the race?

Let us know in the comments section below!

It's no from, the two times I have been the weather was terrible. I am trying to do some other Grand Prix's for the next few years. Done Spain this year (testing & Grand Prix) and am going to Singapore in September.

Last edited:
Heading their just for the Friday this year (meeting up with the @Craig Patteson and the Patteson's) as I'm going to an airshow on the Saturday (which always clashes and I've wanted to go for a few years now). I will admit that due to where I live, it's a very expensive trip to do the whole weekend and takes my bank balance some months to recover! :laugh:

The atmosphere is great but my love for F1 has dwindled a little bit in the last few years, I used to watch all the races and practise sessions now I only watch maybe four or five races during the year. I think the loss of live coverage on terrestrial TV has also had an effect on my viewing habits. I have thought about Paul Ricard next year (I did look at Singapore but it was going to cost me £2000+ so I think that one's out!) but we'll see.

My first love is still Sportscar racing so maybe Le Mans in 2018 (haven't been since 2000) or more probably the Spa 24 Hours which is at the top of it's game at the moment :)

been to 6 British GP, while living there years ago, wouldn't go again, Silverstone sucks as a viewer, Brand Hatch different story, Silverstone should have stuck to Planes,( probably a minority but one with experience)

been to 6 British GP, while living there years ago, wouldn't go again, Silverstone sucks as a viewer, Brand Hatch different story, Silverstone should have stuck to Planes,( probably a minority but one with experience)

Hmmm, maybe depends on the event. For the Grand Prix Silverstone cover a lot of the viewing fences areas (supposedly for safety, they don't want people standing there). For most of the other events, they leave access open (I can get to the photographer access panels for example). Access during the Classic event for example is fantastic. I tend to get much better pictures at Silverstone than some other circuits but as I mention access is unfortunately a lot more restricted during F1 weekend :( So I have to be creative (or bring some step ladders...:D)

I can get to the photographer access panels for example
I'll remember that so I can kick you off them next event you're there :inlove:

Hmmm, maybe depends on the event. For the Grand Prix Silverstone cover a lot of the viewing fences areas (supposedly for safety, they don't want people standing there).
It's mainly the bit between Becketts and The Loop, it's a busy traffic pinch point, and you don't want spectators getting in the way of all the circuit traffic that goes through it.

I'll remember that so I can kick you off them next event you're there :inlove:

I'd better keep a look out then! :laugh::thumbsup:

I think you know what I'm referring to though, the metal frames that are welded into the viewing fences at the new complex. Great for photography and I've got some great pictures in the last few years. We are all respectful and don't get close to the fence so I haven't had anything thrown at me yet! :laugh:

Mind you if you could wangle me a photography pass that would be awesome! :inlove::laugh:

I'd better keep a look out then! :laugh::thumbsup:

I think you know what I'm referring to though, the metal frames that are welded into the viewing fences at the new complex. Great for photography and I've got some great pictures in the last few years. We are all respectful and don't get close to the fence so I haven't had anything thrown at me yet! :laugh:

Mind you if you could wangle me a photography pass that would be awesome! :inlove::laugh:
As long as you are standing behind the metal pole barriers, there's no problem. Unfortunately I have no ties with the guys who do the media passes, so I can't help there. :( However, you can still get great photos all around the track, you just need long arms to reach up high, or find a good bank, like the ones next to the Wellington Bridge.

Seriously, I have been in the past, 1986,1987.
Never bothered since, because I do not like the track.
Honestly, the cows in the next field were treated better than the paying customers..
No matter what they do, it is still a former airfield..
Flat and boring.
Brands great track; too expensive, and perhaps due to location, to upgrade to F1 safety levels.
Sad.
Honestly think they invested all that money in the wrong place, perhaps it would of been better to build a new modern track in a more central location within the U.K.
Somewhere that has elevation..
For all the problems with Mr B. E, it is very easy to understand why he disliked Silverstone so much.
A friend of mine, who as a guest of Ford went to many F1 races, best of everything etc, always said, when referring to Sliverstone, 'You cannot polish a turd'.

No problem with Silverstone always loved it and will continue to do so we all saw what happened with donington when they wanted F1 that worked out will didn't it F1 won't return to brands anytime soon

Seriously, I have been in the past, 1986,1987.
Never bothered since, because I do not like the track.
Honestly, the cows in the next field were treated better than the paying customers..
No matter what they do, it is still a former airfield..
Flat and boring.
Brands great track; too expensive, and perhaps due to location, to upgrade to F1 safety levels.
Sad.
Honestly think they invested all that money in the wrong place, perhaps it would of been better to build a new modern track in a more central location within the U.K.
Somewhere that has elevation..
For all the problems with Mr B. E, it is very easy to understand why he disliked Silverstone so much.
A friend of mine, who as a guest of Ford went to many F1 races, best of everything etc, always said, when referring to Sliverstone, 'You cannot polish a turd'.
If the last time you went to Silverstone was 1987, you need to try again. 30 years of improvements have made it so much better.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 276 15.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 188 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 188 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 139 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 247 13.5%