Bring back the H-shifter in F1?

I wouldn't mind seeing the switch back, but in order for that to happen they would have to be as reliable or even more so than the sequential gearbox, you'd need the space inside the cockpit to fit an H-shifter, and you'd need space for a clutch if I'm not mistaken. I think it would definitely show who the best drivers are so I'm kind of in favour of it.

Thats means you would have to go back through all the feeder series and change the regulations from paddle or seq to h-pattern. Even the new 2012 FF are seq. I would like to see it go back to h-pattern, but the demands of today are very different compared to back then. I just don't think it would work the way it worked back then.

I`m on the fence. Sure it would be nice as it lets the really great driver´s separate themselves even more from the rest but there´s also the "pinnacle of motorsport" that clings on for me.

I´d rather just run with the 2014 regs, i think it will be a nostalgic moment.

Engine braking would also be minimised, so that would make it slower as well. But as you say, the best drivers would come out tops. It brings in one more real driving element that's been missing for a while.

"Bring back the H-shifter and SQ shifter in simracing?"

:p

I wouldn't like to see this in F1 car, but I liked SQ stick in Champ Car a lot. I think there is no way back in F1 for this. But I wish other race rars weren't using paddle shifters.

That it is crap Formula Fords have Seqentials now... Honestly, in maybe 5 years, I think we'll barely have a single H-Shifter on anything, road cars or race cars... :(
Okay, cause I don't know you so well I didn't know if you were being sarcastic haha, Internet you are a bitch. But yea I know what you mean, the only race cars that have h-pattern are national/local area clubs. But even then there's guys in my brothers class running dog boxes with an ignition killer so no clutch is required on up shifts. Soon I don't even think the general public are going to know what a manual gearbox is or a clutch for that matter. Except for Europe, most cars there are manual like it should be, well from my 3 years living there it felt that way. The only autos I ever found were the ones driven by Americans.

It won't happen due to safety concerns, but I'd love to see this. It used to be that racing was a physical skill as much as anything. Double clutching and using the h-shifter brought to the game different things a driver could screw up. It also organically created overtaking opportunities- unlike a DRS or a KERS system which is a phony way of doing this.

These days the drivers are doing much more than shifting in the car. Between using the paddles they are also constantly adjust brake bias, using KERS, using DRS, adjusting fuel mixtures, recycling electronics, etc. Who knows what else they have to do in there that we don't even know about.

I agree that the H shifter is cool, but I think a lot of tech would have to be dropped to make it plausible and I don't see that happening

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 121 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 163 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 308 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 442 39.6%