Bridgestone: 'No Plans To Re-Enter F1'

RaceDepartment

Administrator
Staff
Tyre manufacture Bridgestone have ruled out a return to Formula One next season as teams prepare to test Pirelli’s new upgraded rubber at the Canadian Grand Prix this weekend.

Bridgestone pulled out of F1 at the end of the 2010 season after 14 years in the sport, but despite Pirelli’s problems this season the Japanese manufacture insists they have no plans to make a comeback.

A spokesman told Autosport: ‘’We have no current plans to re-enter Formula One. Bridgestone was successful in applying the technologies for compounds, design and simulation for F1 tyres for the development of passenger car tyres. We can say that the participation of Bridgestone in F1 for 14 years was very significant.’

Pirelli have suffered massive problems with wear issues this season and teams will run with modified tyres during testing on Friday in Canada, which according to other reports the future is in doubt.

Originally plans had been put in place to use the rubber for the whole weekend, but now Pirelli plans to evaluate the tyres in Montreal with a view of introducing them from the British Grand Prix onwards.

Don't forget to head over to RaceDepartment's dedicated Canadian Grand Prix article for all the latest happenings provided by the community.

Image: JaxQuickFitTyres
View the Post on the Blog

Hankook tire also ruled out that.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107817

"For 2014, it's completely impossible not only because of the lack of tyre development time," he told AUTOSPORT when asked about the viability of a move into F1 next season."

"Even if Hankook wants to take three, four, five years to jump into Formula 1 as a supplier, the lack of testing opportunities would make it impossible."

"With the current cars and drivers, it's impossible [to test] so you need to find a suitable number of vehicles and drivers that would allow you to get some reliable feedback."

"Even if we started this year with the first tyre test, it would take easily three years until you can finish a safe and performing F1 tyre," he said.

"Now the regulations are changing; engine formula, chassis, and aerodynamics... nobody even knows about the dimensions of the tyres for 2014 - they are still not fixed."

"It's not 100 per cent certain they'll continue with 13-inch tyres. It might be 15 or even 17."

To me Pirelli have only done what the FIA wanted them to do. Increase the frequency of pit stops (for the excitement) and try to encourage different race strategies. The FIA removed one of the best things about pit stops, refuelling.

I am sure Pirelli can make tyres to any specification, including lasting the whole race.

I just don't see why Pirelli should take the blame for this.

Unless the FIA are going to change the requirements for the tires there will come a time that the F1 will have no more supplier at all.

Pirelli are getting a bad name because of all this nonsense while they make fabulous road and racing tires normally but are just doing as they've been told.

I'm not critisising them for that. I think that they have over stepped the mark slightly, and races aren't as interesting anymore. The FIA Should also change things as well.

Also, I like the idea of a Tyre Battle, so I wouldn't mind seeing more than 1 Tyre supplier next season.

Unless the FIA are going to change the requirements for the tires there will come a time that the F1 will have no more supplier at all.

Pirelli are getting a bad name because of all this nonsense while they make fabulous road and racing tires normally but are just doing as they've been told.

to me, i can't think of any other situation where a company are paid/asked to model and therefore advertise, an inferior product than what they would usually make. inferior in the sense that it shows durability problems.:cautious:

Pirelli were requested to make the tyre to these sorts of specs they after no refueling was introducted. Its a shame really because Pirelli are taking the rap for it all now.

With no refueling, the FIA had to make a handicap elsewhere.... Alas these dodgy tyres.

Pirelli were requested to make the tyre to these sorts of specs they after no refueling was introducted. Its a shame really because Pirelli are taking the rap for it all now.

With no refueling, the FIA had to make a handicap elsewhere.... Alas these dodgy tyres.

yes this is pretty clear.but it must be a cleverly calculated decision (financially) for pirelli to agree to a deal which could make them appear to have less durable tyres (to people who aren't in the know). imagine if porsche were asked to produce less reliable cars to make the porsche racing series more entertaining.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 277 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 402 40.0%