Briatore ban too harsh - F1 boss

Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone says he thinks Flavio Briatore's indefinite ban for race-fixing is too severe.
The ex-Renault boss was punished for his role in ordering Nelson Piquet to crash in 2008's Singapore Grand Prix.
But Ecclestone, who was part of the hearing that dealt with the case, now feels the ban is disproportionate and urged Briatore to appeal against it.
"On reflection it wasn't necessary. It was too much. Definitely too much," said Ecclestone.
"I don't think it was necessary, but I was on the commission so I'm probably just as guilty as anybody."
Ecclestone and Briatore are friends as well as business partners, having bought Championship football side Queens Park Rangers, along with steel magnate Lakshmi Mittal, in 2007.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8272812.stm

Awww bless, Flavio's not talking to him. lol.

Bottom line is he is still insisting he had nothing to do with it. If he'd acknowledged his involvement and apologised, like Symonds, he'd have a much lighter penalty. I think he will get it reduced on appeal though, especially if Bernie has anything to do with it.

• Andrew Evans

if he appeals, they should ban briatore and all his descendants....

• Renato Preti

we dont need to say that they are close friends...

Ecclestone will be angling for some kind of punishment that does not equal a ban from the sport as the English FA don't allow club owners who have been banned from another sport.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back