Do you think Daniel Ricciardo is a good signing for McLaren?

• Yes

Votes: 149 90.9%
  • No

Votes: 15 9.1%

• Total voters

Breaking | Ricciardo Signs For McLaren

Ever smiling Australian Daniel Ricciardo will drive for McLaren in 2021 as the 30-year-old has been confirmed as replacement for the potentially Ferrari bound Carlos Sainz.

With the Sebastian Vettel news triggering a wave of activity in the driver market following his announcement that contract talks have broken down with the Scuderia, Daniel Ricciardo becomes the second major transfer announcement in the space of a week - with the former Red Bull and Renault man has been confirmed as a McLaren driver this morning, on what the team state is a 'multi-year' deal with the British squad.

“Signing Daniel is another step forward in our long-term plan and will bring an exciting new dimension to the team, alongside Lando" said McLaren CEO, Zak Brown.​
"This is good news for our team, partners and of course our fans. I also want to pay tribute to Carlos for the excellent job he has been doing for McLaren in helping our performance recovery plan. He is a real team player and we wish him well for his future beyond McLaren.”

With McLaren acting so quickly to wrap up the signature of one of Formula One's most popular drivers, and considering the souring of the relationship between Sainz and Renault at the end of 2018, it looks highly likely that the young Spanish driver will be announced alongside Charles Leclerc at Ferrari from 2021, with an announcement about the second Ferrari seat expected from the Italian team imminently.

With potentially just a final berth at Renault available from next season, unless Mercedes make a shock decision to not renew Hamilton or Valtteri Bottas at the end of their contracts this December, the opportunities for Sebastian Vettel to continue in Formula One appear to be rapidly diminishing. Would a driver with four World Championships be willing to race for a midfield team, or does this open the door for Fernando Alonso to make a shock comeback to the team with which he took his two World Championship triumphs?

It's going to be an interesting few days, that's for sure...

Want to discuss Formula One with fellow fans of the sport? Head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum now and start up a thread!

Danny ric Mclaren 1.jpg

RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief, occasional YouTuber, commentator and broadcaster, with a passion for motorsport on both the real and virtual racetrack.

Tr3voRR

500RPM
May 10, 2013
Wish he would have given an extra year or two to Renault! a single season? really...

G_B

100RPM
Dec 29, 2018
1589451736877.png

He smiled, so I guess he's happy.

Well, good luck with that. Happy piranhas have hope in you.

smasha

250RPM
Mar 1, 2010
Seems to be growing hatred for Ricciardo on “social(fruitloop)media”,don’t know what he has done to earn it,some people absolutely hate him sadly.

AusWillis

10RPM
Dec 15, 2017
Seems to be growing hatred for Ricciardo on “social(fruitloop)media”,don’t know what he has done to earn it,some people absolutely hate him sadly.
I agree, sometimes wonder if it is a Europe / Aussie thing but who cares either way as he is going to Mclaren with Lando and I will be firmly in their corner. Also good luck to Sainz in Ferrari, hope he can at least not go down the path of the playing the second subservant to their number 1.

• Love
Reactions: FlashQld and smasha

racingdud3

75RPM
Sep 16, 2018
Prepare for a Bigger Smile from Ricciardo!

I hope the McLata will be tuned for his speed!

Fly Riccy fly!!

ricci.PNG

Yeah he has to change the clothes before entering his new Mc Club!

Last edited:
Reactions: FlashQld

Andrew Harper

2000RPM
Dec 1, 2014
Hmmmm, I really hope I'm wrong but I'm not 100% sure if Danny has made a good choice here.

Whether he was ever in the frame for the second seat at Ferrari I don't know but that would have been his better option, even taking into account he may have been asked to play second fiddle to Charles.

Why am I saying this? Because McLaren (and Williams for example) are the dying breed of F1 teams. F1 is becoming more and more dominated by works backed efforts. The only exception is probably Racing Point but even they are heading towards to a works run setup.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do as I feel Danny is a great driver but also a great racer and personality and we need him on the grid but fingers crossed this goes ok for him :)

Thinking about it, going back to Mercedes engines and the new budget caps may well help them, looking ahead to 2021 :)

Reactions: racingdud3

Antony Snook

500RPM
Premium
Jul 16, 2011
In the 50's a driver would lead a team and a second driver would perform as team mate in sub par machinery to fill grid. Usually they would retire. Those days are over and despite the old adage "You are equal to your team mate" I never believed it. One driver will get better engineers and equipment. Team mates are basically rivals and might as well be racing on different teams. If you want to fix cost run 1 driver per team. Or have 2 drivers share one car. They can switch places on pit stops and run races 300-600 miles. You just need a rule that each driver runs 50%

Reactions: ignazio1

5-Card-Major

100RPM
Premium
Apr 6, 2020
I just started following F1 closely now, after seeing the awesome Netflix series.

Dang, in some ways it's like a soap-opera for guys!! (And, I HATE the Kardashdians' !)

Reactions: ignazio1