BREAKING: Nico Rosberg Retires from Formula One

I had the feeling he didn't love racing to the point that other drivers did. Sure, it takes passion to win a drivers championship, but it takes even more so to defend the title.
Although, huge respect for taking that decision and going with what he really wants from life. Best of luck in his new endeavors.

Even better for Mercedes, as it will be a lot better to have two motivated drivers in the roster.

I admire the driver, but after doing the whole last race wetting his pants, now he quits without defending the title. Come on, that is not the way of a champion! I hope Rosberg will change his mind and come back strong.

At least I hope Mercedes will poach another top driver.
This is EXACTLY how a true champion behaves. Love for family overcoming passion for racing at the highest peak of the highest level. RESPECT ! !!

15327239_2282673031871003_5979789829766062885_n.jpg
Damnit, you were faster than me :p

Even if Rosberg deserved the title, I believe that he was favored for Mercedes this year. I'm looking forward to Hamilons book.

Let's hope he tells how mclaren favored against Alonso too.

Nico has a family, a dream done and plenty of time to enjoy and maybe race in a not that time consuming category. It's about racing whatever got wheels when you really love it, and giving time to your beloved ones I think.

I want Alo-Ham fights! The two bests out there right now with more raw talent and experience! And ric-vex right back...niiiice! Maldonado to mclaren just for fun and we have it all.

Yes, love for familily is great thing but I just wonder will he after year or two regret this desision. He could wait with his mariage, he's a racer on first place. Girl wouldn't run from this kind of catch, I'm sure. :D
He should look up to his team mate, what's wrong with enjoying the life. And many women, with it.:sneaky: 30-ies are just fine for having a kid(s).
Marriage makes racers go slower, males are on their peak at about 20. With racing and ladies, too. :)

Someone mention Webber and Barrichello. C'mon don't make me laugh. They so long in F1 pension.
May I recommend my racing idol then, mr Jacques Villeneuve. He was called once (by Renault) from only year long pension and... it wasn't good.
Or Fisichella ? Button is also fool himself only. He won't be back. Hakkinen was also "on one year vacation" - he was never back.

It is a long shot for sure, but ALO deserves a championship car. Damn you Honda for that turd engine design, and the idiot team owners #Mclaren.

Fate... give him one more chance in a winning car.

He will probably pull a Schumacher/Kimi, retire for a few seaons, come back when his kids are a bit older or do on/off racing elsewhere.

Yes, love for familily is great thing but I just wonder will he after year or two regret this desision. He could wait with his mariage, he's a racer on first place. Girl wouldn't run from this kind of catch, I'm sure. :D
He's already married (and she's not particularly hard on the eyes) with kid(s). Racing isn't going anywhere, if he wants back into racing, he'll have no problem getting back in and getting back into F1 is not out of the question.

He's achieved the ultimate goal in his career, if he feels like he needs to go and take care of his family it's pretty hard to fault him (and yet some still do).

Werhlein would've been a given seeing as he's a Merc driver and german which is no doubt a factor, loosing Rosberg means even less interest back home for Merc. Then again he didn't exactly *wow* anyone his first year, or at least not me. If Ham stays on and can be motivated they already have a champion though so Wehr would make a decent number 2 guy.

So, since it's now mega silly season, let's throw another name into the hat. Webber's a free agent right? :giggle:

Webber wouldn't be a bad choice either as the guy has proven talent and experience with 42 podiums and 9 race wins in F1 but he is supposed to have hung up his race boots for good at 40. Would make an interersting long shot for a season until Mercedes got their ducks in a row even Button wouldn't be beyond possible. But my money would be either Riccardo or Alonso but would love it to be The Flying Dutchman.

I thought we had racing fans on this forum, what's this crap about being impressed about the current WDC leaving the sport?

To me it just stinks of a lack of dedication to racing on his part. Confirms the fact that he is not even close to the sports' best drivers right now.

I think Wehrlein is the best choice. He's been surprisingly solid throughout the season.

Not to mention Merc already has a more solid title contender in the Hamster, why pick another old driver when you could train a WDC in the making.

Not a fan of Nico, but respect this decision. If Mecedes is smart, they will pick the best driver on the grid right now, Carlos Sainz. It would not be that hard to get him, I'm sure. And not that expensive. Failing that, an older driver would keep their cars in one piece and benefit them in two ways -- the ability to drive ''through' changes in car spec, and the certainty of consistency, which will be critical if they happen to be a strong team with the new spec. Let's hope not. :)

And then on the other hand you have the ultimate warrior who will never give up, who will push every dog-of-a-car to it's ragged edge lap after lap, session after session, race after race, season after season. He is a single-minded warrior - a samurai - who only knows one thing: to keep going. He is, Fernando Alonso.

I don't understand the psychology behind it but this shock-retirement of Rosberg makes me want to see Alonso champion again even more badly/desperately now.

Let's hope he tells how mclaren favored against Alonso too.

Nico has a family, a dream done and plenty of time to enjoy and maybe race in a not that time consuming category. It's about racing whatever got wheels when you really love it, and giving time to your beloved ones I think.

I want Alo-Ham fights! The two bests out there right now with more raw talent and experience! And ric-vex right back...niiiice! Maldonado to mclaren just for fun and we have it all.

Dont worry I'm not a fanboy. Of course Hamilton was preferred by Ron Dennis. That is why I think it is possible that Hamilton was disadvantaged this year.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 102 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 183 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 360 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 501 39.0%