Breaking News: Slightly Mad Studios Bought by Codemasters

And finally, there goes out last hopes for a better PCars simulator. I'm 100% certain Codies will turn it into a stupid arcade, focused on the "driver experience" like they've been doing with F1. What a shame...it had so much potential.

Oh well, i guess all good things come to an end, and after a few decent years, the racing sim scene is heading back to the dark ages of arcade. ACC will be the last Jedi....
yes, is like the reggaeton music, the hoi polloi rules the world, the money rules, the normal people want simple products to play, nothing more complex, a good simracing requires a lot of practice to enjoy.

• Deleted member 113561

ACC will be the last Jedi....
Yikes ...
ACC has itself a lot of problems. I heard several big names saying that the cars do not behave that great at launch.
In my experience (G29 and retested on Fanatec DD1) the FFB is just nowhere near rFactor 2 and there are shitload of bugs (retested with 1.0.4).
ACC is not a choice FOR ME anyways since it is quite a limited version of motorsports :(

What I am looking forward to / hope for:
  • iRacing gets finally their dry tire model right and brings in consistency in FFB (you have to set force different for every car, wtf)
  • rFactor 2 fires the guy responsible for creating the "physics" of the new DLCs and with the new guy fix the "you have to slide it into the corners to be fast" behavior
  • AC2, evolution of tire model and FFB (rF2 is the golden standard atm)
  • PC3, massive improvement of FFB and more consistency amongst "car physics"
  • AMS2
  • For all of them to get rid of the issues they have (iRacing netcode, rFactor 2 shitload of issues, and any new release: Less bugs at launch, especially severe ones)

I agree AC2 can keep the sim racing genre alive along with ams2. Pcars 2 didn't feel great for me until I started using custom ffb files. ACC as great as the driving feels is limited with it's content though it is imo the best gt3 simulator. Pcars 3 has a great opportunity to be a jack of all trades this time around without being a master of none if it can win over the community with better quality control at launch

Wow. So now that AMS2 is being built of PC2.... PC2 has somehow become the "golden standard" and ACC is garbage? God I love this community.

As for PC3, it was going to be more arcade than PC2, even under the original dev. Now that Codies is taking over we can only hope that it won't be more arcade than DR 2.0 or F1. One can hope.

As for PC3, it was going to be more arcade than PC2, even under the original dev.

No it wasn't. fake news

As for the theory Codies take-over will force SMS to go arcade, people seem to be overlooking that Codies don't need to buy SMS to make an arcade game. Codeis have been making them for years. What they can't make and the gap in their product lineup is a Project Cars type sim. This is where SMS and PC3 come in.

Last edited:
Source for that claim?
PC2 was never arcade, it is and always was a Sim.

I wouldn't even waste a breath on making this argument. Not that I disagree, but SMS and PCars series are the developers and games sim communities love to hate. Despite the fact that Pcars 2 simulates many things, some very accurately and other areas not quite so maybe due to miscalculation or limitations.

It has the most advanced tyre model of all sims, dynamic weather, tire heating and deformation, dynamic tracks with rubbering in, dry lines, dirty patches, etc. The changes you can make to your car with tuning, drivers aids, the AI. All this is simulated. Not every car feels correct because there is so much content, but I can say that about some cars in Assetto Corsa, R Factor 2. Both games I also love but are not perfect in simulating, in fact AC even with the SOL mod doesn't simulate as much as Pcars 2 when it comes to dynamic weather and track; and it has a more simplified tyre model than PC2

However despite this, they say Pcars 2 isn't a simulation. I play all the sims (except Iracing because my wife won't let me) and it isn't too far off in car handling to others and excels above others in other aspects. Bring the hate, laugh emojis, dislikes etc. I use this community for skins and mods anyway.

The way I see it and mind you I enjoy many different racing games from multiple developers. My main goal is entertainment and I have had loads of it with Codemaster's racing titles as well as loving the hard core sims on the market. I see Codemaster's as a developer committed to catering to the largest target user base (at their level they have to) but also would like their user base to be as expansive as possible. Trufully it is the hardcore user base they have had the toughest time with attracting the majority of that base but in no way do they want to ignore this group of players. I see both companies wanting the best of both worlds marketing games that appeal to the the whole base of the user group active within the genre. It's a no brainer and very well achievable without offending any level user group. This being said of those open minded enough to not let the more gamey elements within designed to attract the younger element of the user base (why not live with it if the game play is up to standard of the hardcore base?) isn't that what's really important? Just think of the shared material and IP? Both companies have wonderful stuff and the possibilities are endless! As for you SR's committed to 1 or 2 titles exclusively more power 2 U I'm happy for you but please don't let something you may never have interest in anyway get you bent out of shape to the point of feeling the need to piss in someones cornflakes. Remember it is all of us that drive this industry and all brothers and sisters of the genre we so love.
Peace and be well but most importantly PLAY ON and eat some virtual asphalt!!!!

Codemasters has wonderful material always having top notch environments. In this area they are part of an elite group. As for "game play and theme" taking into consideration a player such as yourself that prides themselves on being a bit picky on what they want out of their software: what if options existed for you to enable the features you wanted and the ability to create the on track experience that you desire and expect? and disable the elements you have no use for. would it still bother you knowing those things you omitted are still hiding in the closet waiting for the big bad codemasters boogy man to unleash them? "Even with a slightly mad bald pit bull guarding the door"? Who knows what the future brings just allow it to unfold and take it from there. I do 100% hope players like you get everything they want out of a prospective racing game title just as much as I hope the 8 year old who's favorite thing is just running other cars off the track 100% gets the software they want. Do you remember the different game modes in GTR1? and one of them being Arcade mode without effecting the hardcore player? I think a bald pit bull had something to do with that title as well and it didn't land him in the communities dog house. Give it a chance.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 231 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 161 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.5%
  • < 5 years