• 23000+ Members! Dear Guest, join the community on the official RD Discord server today.   learn more

BREAKING NEWS | Sergio Perez Returns For The Spanish Grand Prix

Terry Rock

2000RPM
Oct 24, 2009
That was quick!
How does the crew feel about it?
Not sure as a team mechanic if I'd be comfortable this early.
His may be a negative test but given what little we know about this virus, if I were a team member I'd like to see another week
Seems rushed.

Last edited:

Michel Forest

100RPM
Jul 26, 2017
He was Ron Dennis's little project ever since Ron saw what Tiger Woods did in golf. Money money money...
First proper 'black' (although he isn't really his mum is white) F1 driver was gold...
Rest is history....and Merc sell a lot of cars to the US... where Lewis sounds now like he is from...
I don't think Ron saw money. Hamilton didn't bring any sponsors. And if there's one team that didn't need money, it was McLaren. Ron saw an exceptional talent and very wisely signed him up rather than lose him to another team. In his book, Nick Fry writes that Honda tried to sign him during his last GP2 season, when there was a very small chance Dennis would not give him a drive for 2007. It seems there was a clause that would have allowed Hamilton to go to Honda should McLaren passed on his services. (Fry also tried to get Alonso in 2009, when Honda became Brawn. Fernando passed and stayed at Renault. Another missed opportunity for Alonso.)

As for Mercedes, if Hamilton helps them sell cars in the US, that's very good. These corporations are there to sell cars. If they don't see a return on their investments in F1, they leave .

Last edited:
Reactions: Terry Rock

michelforest

500RPM
Mar 2, 2010
The only thing that stops me from thinking lewis hamilton is one of the greats is that he hasn't done the business in a car thats not at the very top! Senna did it with the Mclaren, Schumacher was competitive in an underwhelming ferrari against the williams of villeneuve in 97 and hakkinen in the next two years before ferrari became truly dominant and alonso has dragged a mediocre ferrari to almost 2 championships. I can remember 1 season where hamilton struggled to beat his teammate button in an average Mclaren! I would love for lewis to show what he can do in a lesser car before he retires! I don't meaning winning championships but just punching above his weight in an inferior machine!
I think you're a bit harsh. He was good right from the start of his first season, so good that he Alonso was pretty much forced to leave McLaren and return to Renault. He had some ups and downs with McLaren, but with Mercedes, he matured into an amazing driver. The only season when he didn't win the championship in 2016, it was a very close fight with Rosberg. And Rosberg didn't have the guts to defend his title against Hamilton. I lost a lot of respect for him when he chickened out like that. It's almost as if Rosberg knew he would not be able to do it again and his championship was a lucky occurence. I'm not the biggest Hamilton fan, but in my mind he's the best out there right now.

paracletus

1000RPM
Dec 6, 2013
In before all the "oh no, I want hulkenberg" :(
Oh wait, too late - cry me a river. NH is obviously some kind of idol on this place, goodness knows.
The team's top driver can get going again. That's good.

May 5, 2014
I think you're a bit harsh. He was good right from the start of his first season, so good that he Alonso was pretty much forced to leave McLaren and return to Renault. He had some ups and downs with McLaren, but with Mercedes, he matured into an amazing driver. The only season when he didn't win the championship in 2016, it was a very close fight with Rosberg. And Rosberg didn't have the guts to defend his title against Hamilton. I lost a lot of respect for him when he chickened out like that. It's almost as if Rosberg knew he would not be able to do it again and his championship was a lucky occurence. I'm not the biggest Hamilton fan, but in my mind he's the best out there right now.
No I don't think I am being harsh! I take your point that he was competitive against Alonso in the McLaren but again that was the best car on the grid that year and between the two of them they gifted the championship to Raikkonen in a lesser machine! My point is Hamilton hasn't done enough in an uncompetitive drive to be compared with senna, Schumacher, Alonso! I would say the same about vettel, all his championships were in an unstoppable red bull but he really struggles when he is not at the front! No doubting lewis' speed but for me he needs to prove what the other greats have proved!

May 5, 2014
When somebody close to you ends up on a respirator and goes into a 3 months coma, maybe then your brain cells will get activated. Maybe.
Ya you just keep your head in the sand buddy! Not saying there isn't a virus but it is not acceptable to close down the world because there is a tiny percentage of people at risk! If you want to stay at home under the covers that's fine but let everyone else get on with life! More chance of getting hit by a car than getting something serious with this covid! Life is a risk. Deal with it!

bozakn

10RPM
May 10, 2014
Ya you just keep your head in the sand buddy! Not saying there isn't a virus but it is not acceptable to close down the world because there is a tiny percentage of people at risk! If you want to stay at home under the covers that's fine but let everyone else get on with life! More chance of getting hit by a car than getting something serious with this covid! Life is a risk. Deal with it!
I guess you're already in a coma.
Cheers!

Robes

50RPM
Dec 2, 2010
There is actually far less chance of being hit by a car and dying, by an order of magnitudes.

Also, a small percentage of a very large number is still a very large number. It's not a constructive argument to be dismissive using percentages when the absolute numbers are so high.

However, in saying that, I do wonder whether our mitigation methods cause more harm than good on a global scale. On an individual scale the mitigation is compassionate. Only the future will tell what the answer is.

Now, back to sim racing!

May 5, 2014
There is actually far less chance of being hit by a car and dying, by an order of magnitudes.

Also, a small percentage of a very large number is still a very large number. It's not a constructive argument to be dismissive using percentages when the absolute numbers are so high.

However, in saying that, I do wonder whether our mitigation methods cause more harm than good on a global scale. On an individual scale the mitigation is compassionate. Only the future will tell what the answer is.

Now, back to sim racing!
[/QUOTE

Now, back to sim racing!
[/QUOTe

Now, back to sim racing!
OK this is my last post here as I can see I am wasting my time here! Just stop watching mainstream news and media as there is so much propaganda going on right now, do your own research and come to your own conclusions! I apologize if I have offended anyone but I truly believe this is more nefarious than a simple case of a leaked virus and as you say the future will tell but I fear it will be too late by then! Totalitarinism is on the way!

Reactions: Nevini

muzikant

1000RPM
Apr 19, 2010
OK this is my last post here as I can see I am wasting my time here! Just stop watching mainstream news and media as there is so much propaganda going on right now, do your own research and come to your own conclusions! I apologize if I have offended anyone but I truly believe this is more nefarious than a simple case of a leaked virus and as you say the future will tell but I fear it will be too late by then! Totalitarinism is on the way!

Last edited: