BREAKING NEWS | Sergio Perez Returns For The Spanish Grand Prix

Sergio Perez is set to return to the Formula One field this weekend in Barcelona, having been passed fit to race following his recent positive Covid-19 diagnosis.

Bringing an end to the much hyped and highly enjoyable return to action for Nico Hulkenberg in Formula One, Sergio Perez will once again don the bright pink overalls of Racing Point alongside Lance Stroll this coming weekend, having been forced to miss the both the British and 70th Anniversary Grand Prix weekends following a positive test result for Covid-19 ahead of the Silverstone double header.

The Mexican has failed to produce any significant symptoms of the illness during his enforced layoff, so should be capable of jumping back into the RP 20 and producing performances similar to those achieved before he stepped aside for Hulkenberg prior to the Silverstone weekend.

Hulkenberg has been stood down from his temporary stand in duties, however the 32-year-old German remains unattached to a team for the current season, and as such is very much the man of the moment should another driver be forced to sit out future events due to the current world health situation.

For more from the world of Grand Prix racing, and to get involved with your fellow Formula One fans, why not head over to the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get a new thread started and introduced to the world?

Perez Footer.jpg

Last edited:
RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief, occasional YouTuber, commentator and broadcaster, with a passion for motorsport on both the real and virtual racetrack.

Raysy

75RPM
Premium
Jun 5, 2020
I'm a bit confused as I thought you had to quarantine for 10 days after testing positive. As he took a second test on Thursday, and was still positive, shouldn't that reset the clock?

Raysy

75RPM
Premium
Jun 5, 2020
I'm not sure it's "silly" even if you have had a negative test following the positive test. The NHS website is pretty clear on it. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coron...ation-and-treatment/how-long-to-self-isolate/

Self-isolate for at least 10 days
You should self-isolate for at least 10 days if:

• you have symptoms of coronavirus and you tested positive, had an unclear result or did not have a test
  • you tested positive but have not had symptoms
If you have symptoms, the 10 days starts from when they started.

If you have not had symptoms, the 10 days starts from when you had the test. But if you get symptoms after your test, self-isolate for a further 10 days from when your symptoms start.

Ryann

100RPM
May 31, 2011
Just out of curiosity, is it really worth making 1 minute video about this "news", when a single line would tell everything important? I don't mind, I just don't understand the point.

safi hellie

250RPM
Jul 18, 2019
Had Nico of replaced one of the Williams or Alfa drivers, he would of been at the back and no one would of been saying anything about him returning next year or being some sort of 'man of the moment'.

Nico is good, in one of the best cars on the grid....... and?
If he came back next year in the Alfa he'd be crap again.....

The driver makes a very small difference.
The car, massive difference.

For example Lewis in the pink Merc would be on pole rather than 3rd like Nico was...

But Lewis would never of gotten pole in the Alfa or Williams, or actually Alpha Turo, Renault etc.

bgil66

500RPM
Sep 24, 2014
Booo.... poor HULK, keep your chin up as I'm sure there are opportunities for a supersub like you(lol like he will even read this :D )

Goffik

A legend in my own mind...
Staff member
Premium
Sep 28, 2009
Tell that to the teammates of Max Verstappen over the last few seasons as they watch him take the top step in an "uncompetitive" car. Or Sebastian Vettel as he languishes mid-field while his teammate gets a podium. Or Alonso when he dragged a piece of crap Ferrari far higher in the championship standings than it ever deserved to be. There are plenty of examples from F1 history which prove that the driver can make all the difference in the performance of a car.

Since Nico never really had a chance in a GP winning car he was fully familiar with, we don't know if he is a driver that can make a big difference or a small one. However, since he out-qualified his temporary teammate (and out-raced him for the most part) at such short notice, I think it's fair to say that he's a better driver than people give him credit for.

Turk

1000RPM
Jul 29, 2011
I'm a bit confused as I thought you had to quarantine for 10 days after testing positive. As he took a second test on Thursday, and was still positive, shouldn't that reset the clock?
I don't think so, I think they keep testing you until you have something like 2 negative tests and then your given the all clear. He'll likely continue to be tested as part of F1's normal testing procedures, so it's possible he's already had a number of negative tests at this point. It takes about 2 weeks for the virus to run it's course if it doesn't hit you really bad, that's why they recommend isolating for that amount of time.

Reactions: Raysy

Mcorp

100RPM
Aug 6, 2017
Had Nico of replaced one of the Williams or Alfa drivers, he would of been at the back and no one would of been saying anything about him returning next year or being some sort of 'man of the moment'.

Nico is good, in one of the best cars on the grid....... and?
If he came back next year in the Alfa he'd be crap again.....

The car, massive difference.

For example Lewis in the pink Merc would be on pole rather than 3rd like Nico was...

But Lewis would never of gotten pole in the Alfa or Williams, or actually Alpha Turo, Renault etc.
the only thing i wonder about....what are you doing on a race forum........offcourse a driver can make a difference, but a car can make a bigger difference.

eg01st

250RPM
Jul 28, 2018
Big brain time. Plan of action - Perez infects Ham -> ez seat at Mercedes for Hulk.

Enagee

500RPM
Oct 15, 2010
Lol Breaking News!.......Would be Breaking News if Hulkenberg was racing this weekend :)

Perez's time to fight for his seat.