Alright when was that again.....?

If this were a classroom exam, I'd have a problem. It isn't.
F1 rivals copy each other...all the time.
Unless Mercedes sold prints of those brake ducts or offered beneficial data directly to Racing Point, I do not have a problem with it.
I don't really have a problem with any team copying another.
It is how we have perfected some of the greatest innovations in F1.
Why reinvent the wheel.

Unless Mercedes sold prints of those brake ducts or offered beneficial data directly to Racing Point, I do not have a problem with it.

That's exactly what they did. Mercedes sold Racing Point CAD models of both front and rear ducts in 2019, which that year was legal. For this year, Racing Point decided to use the exact CAD model provided by Mercedes for the rear ducts, which is now illegal, since brake ducts became listed parts in 2020, meaning they can no longer be sourced from outside vendors.

While this article is sadly lacking on the details, other sources are not. What you said above is exactly what Mercedes did. They handed Racing Point design data on their own brake ducts, which RP then used to make their own with minimal changes. This has been proved, and that's what they've been penalised for. This isn't about looking at photos and footage and creating a "best guess" copy of the part. They created their copy with actual design data from another team.

But for a car that is almost a carbon copy of the Merc of last year only a 400.000 fine and some points.
Ain't such a bad deal, designing your own car costs way more.
Yeah, but this might not be over yet. If they get a $400,000 fine and 15 points deducted from one part being proved as a direct copy, how much are they going to get if other parts are proved to be the same? They already seem to have gotten away with it somewhat since this penalty is only regarding the rear ducts. The front ducts were deemed "legal" because they were on last year's car, and were designed before the tweak in the rules which has made the rear ducts illegal. If Renault or whoever pursue this copy issue, it could get a whole lot more expensive.

Anyway, glad to see that the Hulk will (hopefully) get a race after all. :thumbsup:

In 1977, Lotus presented us with the Lotus 78 which introduced ground effect to Formula One. A little while later, ground effect cars had become the de facto standard, despite the fact that a lot of constructors didn't even fully understand the concept.
In 2009, Brawn GP introduced the BGP 001 with its the double diffuser, which was deemed illegal by most other teams at first, but eagerly copied after it was declared legal by the FIA.
Copying other team's works, that's old hat. It had always been done, it will always be done. I really don't understand what all the fuss is about. Besides, after all the hubbub about Racing Point's "Mercedes," you'd expect the car to be far superior to all its direct rivals. It isn't. Mercedes and Red Bull are still vastly superior, even McLaren, Renault (and sometimes Ferrari, if they have a really good day, or rather, if Leclerc has a really good day) will still beat the, ahem, uber car.
All this makes Renault look like a sore loser and the FIA like the usual company that either ignores a problem until it's gone away or attacks the nut with a sledgehammer.

I'm going to do something I hardly ever do in a public forum....speak to race.
There seems to be this notion that wealthy black sportsmen somehow should stop talking about politics and or race.
The thought process seems to be one of.... 'You've overcome. What do you have to complain about?'
That approach is absolutely flawed and quite frankly...ludicrous.
Just because Lewis sits in a car on Friday, Saturday and Sunday does not mean he is exempt from racist behavior on Monday, Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday when the cameras are off.
Does he suffer less hostility because he is extremely wealthy and better known....possibly.
We've gotten rid of a lot of very bad things in life but sadly, racism keeps hanging on.
The fact that some folks live in a bubble exempt from this behavior, does not mean it doesn't exist for others.
Over the years, how many times have you heard... 'He is okay by me' or 'I don't have any problem with him'.... meanwhile the guy is an outright bigot posting all kinds of horrible stuff.
This inability to be objective and call out bad behavior when you spot it gives support to the 'tentacles' of racism.
Most bigots don't hold up a sign professing their hatred of other races.
Sadly, they're always there in the shadows...brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, parents, grand-parents.
Racist don't magically appear then disappear after spewing the hate.
Want to reduce this hateful practice? Hold people accountable and question bad behavior.
If I had a nickel for every time one of my many Caucasian friends relayed a story that'd immediately have resulted in my black or Latino friends suffering a hefty penalty, I'd be rich.
I can't tell you how many times somebody has said to me "I got stop for speeding or bar-hopping, etc... and the officer said go home and don't let me see you out here again this evening".
That'd never happen to any of my black or Latino friends...ever.
That is called privilege.
Why is it so hard to admit that it exist for some?
Understand....I'm not encouraging the behavior. I'm just pointing out the differences based on race.
I too, can speak to my own experiences as a black person with friends from all races, religions and cultures.
I obey the law...always have...because without them, there is anarchy.
If I come upon a stoplight at 2 a:m I come to a full stop and wait. If I make a turn I indicate with a turn signal. It doesn't matter if I am the only car on the road. I do it because it is the law.
If I find a wallet full of cash or a lost credit card, I try to find the rightful owner.
It is in my DNA and simply because it is what I'd want for myself.
I am not unique in that regard.
With that said....
I have be stopped numerous times in what is supposed to be the most liberal state.
In the first of my last three stops, I was accused of a right turn without coming to a full stop.
It was in fact a yield sign and one for which I have stopped for every single time...simply because it was difficult to see around it due to an adjacent hedge.
I was then interrogated by the young 30..ish officer about who the owner of the car was, despite me being polite and offering him my license and the car's registration voluntarily.
It was only after two older and much more polite veteran officers showed up and confirmed it, that I was allowed to go on my way the 1/8 mile home.
It was my girlfriend's...now wife's car and was legally owned, registered and insured.
I was stopped another time because the officer said he saw "condensation" coming out of my exhaust and the business I was driving out of closes at 6 PM.
He was at least polite and did a check with the business owner.
The last before I left California....stopped by an officer for driving at 1:45 a:m after spending all night working at a friends automotive garage on my project car.
It was the middle of winter and my friend loaned me one of his own fully registered and insured cars, since I did not get mine finished.
The officer drew his gun up out of the holster and gingerly approached.
He first said I was speeding despite that clearly not being the case.
He then wrote me a ticket for 'amplified device' despite me listening only to AM talk-radio.
The first stop and the third stop were clearly profiling.
I give the benefit of doubt to the second officer.
He had to check because the business had allowed us to use their showroom...(after hours for a Saab Club Christmas party).
It was more of a gathering of all very responsible business professionals talking about cars...no 'hooning'... and certainly no alcohol.
These stops are the kind of thing that happens to blacks all the time.
I'm happy that most other races do not encounter this behavior but to marginalize it, simply because you are not subjected to it, helps no one.
Take Lewis Hamilton away from any place he isn't well recognized and he'll immediately be subjected to it as well.
It should not happen to anyone but it does far more to blacks than any other race...and it is driven mostly by perception and in many cases...outright hatred.

Last edited:
Not last week ;)

You must of watched a different race to me then...or are you talking about 2 leading cars getting punctures? Hmmm, yeah that is normal...

If the Mercs were about as good as the Red Bull it would be amazing...

What we actually get is class A with 2 cars...then class b where it is exciting....then class z Alfa , williams...

Mercedes seem to have a pretty big advantage at Sliverstone, I doubt that's going to change in a week. It's between Hamilton and Botas.

The rest of the field is very close Max seems to be a solid 3rd place with most of the interesting battles happening behind him.

In 1977, Lotus presented us with the Lotus 78 which introduced ground effect to Formula One. A little while later, ground effect cars had become the de facto standard, despite the fact that a lot of constructors didn't even fully understand the concept.
In 2009, Brawn GP introduced the BGP 001 with its the double diffuser, which was deemed illegal by most other teams at first, but eagerly copied after it was declared legal by the FIA.
Copying other team's works, that's old hat. It had always been done, it will always be done. I really don't understand what all the fuss is about. Besides, after all the hubbub about Racing Point's "Mercedes," you'd expect the car to be far superior to all its direct rivals. It isn't. Mercedes and Red Bull are still vastly superior, even McLaren, Renault (and sometimes Ferrari, if they have a really good day, or rather, if Leclerc has a really good day) will still beat the, ahem, uber car.
All this makes Renault look like a sore loser and the FIA like the usual company that either ignores a problem until it's gone away or attacks the nut with a sledgehammer.

Were those parts 'influenced by' or a direct carbon copy?

Mercedes seem to have a pretty big advantage at Sliverstone, I doubt that's going to change in a week. It's between Hamilton and Botas.

The rest of the field is very close Max seems to be a solid 3rd place with most of the interesting battles happening behind him.
Bottas signed new contract so that's him back to v1.0, as every time when he signs. :D

Take Mercs points also. They provided information that they would not have given to Ferrari or anyone else. Take away Lewis and Valtter's points, make them start at the back of every grid so the whiners can see if it's really the car or the driver. I see opportunity here. :devilish:

Take Mercs points also. They provided information that they would not have given to Ferrari or anyone else. Take away Lewis and Valtter's points, make them start at the back of every grid so the whiners can see if it's really the car or the driver. I see opportunity here. :devilish:
That question was asked and answered. It is ok to share info but it is not allowed to actually use that given info 1:1

Pardon the pun, but this judgment will have a chilling effect on the ability of teams to copy--er, interpret--past designs.

If I heard correctly (T)racing Point was given the OK by the tech inspectors for the brake duct design prior to the season. If that is the case, then the whole approval process will lose trust due to a lack of integrity from the FIA/FOM inspectors or the organization as a whole.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 367 15.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 246 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 303 13.1%