Upcoming Events

Weekly BMW races on Simracing.GP Other regular AC events on Simracing.GP Weekly rFactor 2 events

What racing gear do you use while sim racing?

• Gloves

Votes: 82 18.3%
  • Boots

Votes: 20 4.5%
  • Gloves + Boots

Votes: 39 8.7%
  • None

Votes: 308 68.6%

BREAKING NEWS | Racing Point Docked Points Due To Mercedes Copygate Protest

In 1977, Lotus presented us with the Lotus 78 which introduced ground effect to Formula One. A little while later, ground effect cars had become the de facto standard, despite the fact that a lot of constructors didn't even fully understand the concept.
In 2009, Brawn GP introduced the BGP 001 with its the double diffuser, which was deemed illegal by most other teams at first, but eagerly copied after it was declared legal by the FIA.
Copying other team's works, that's old hat. It had always been done, it will always be done. I really don't understand what all the fuss is about. Besides, after all the hubbub about Racing Point's "Mercedes," you'd expect the car to be far superior to all its direct rivals. It isn't. Mercedes and Red Bull are still vastly superior, even McLaren, Renault (and sometimes Ferrari, if they have a really good day, or rather, if Leclerc has a really good day) will still beat the, ahem, uber car.
All this makes Renault look like a sore loser and the FIA like the usual company that either ignores a problem until it's gone away or attacks the nut with a sledgehammer.

So if Renault didn't protest this nothing would have happened?

Am still looking back to why the FIA did not also disclose what was going on with Ferrari last year.

This is what you call politics....

Last edited:
In 1977, Lotus presented us with the Lotus 78 which introduced ground effect to Formula One. A little while later, ground effect cars had become the de facto standard, despite the fact that a lot of constructors didn't even fully understand the concept.
In 2009, Brawn GP introduced the BGP 001 with its the double diffuser, which was deemed illegal by most other teams at first, but eagerly copied after it was declared legal by the FIA.
Copying other team's works, that's old hat. It had always been done, it will always be done. I really don't understand what all the fuss is about. Besides, after all the hubbub about Racing Point's "Mercedes," you'd expect the car to be far superior to all its direct rivals. It isn't. Mercedes and Red Bull are still vastly superior, even McLaren, Renault (and sometimes Ferrari, if they have a really good day, or rather, if Leclerc has a really good day) will still beat the, ahem, uber car.
All this makes Renault look like a sore loser and the FIA like the usual company that either ignores a problem until it's gone away or attacks the nut with a sledgehammer.

Were those parts 'influenced by' or a direct carbon copy?

Badwheels

Premium
Take Mercs points also. They provided information that they would not have given to Ferrari or anyone else. Take away Lewis and Valtter's points, make them start at the back of every grid so the whiners can see if it's really the car or the driver. I see opportunity here. :devilish:

Take Mercs points also. They provided information that they would not have given to Ferrari or anyone else. Take away Lewis and Valtter's points, make them start at the back of every grid so the whiners can see if it's really the car or the driver. I see opportunity here. :devilish:
That question was asked and answered. It is ok to share info but it is not allowed to actually use that given info 1:1

Ruttman98

Premium
Pardon the pun, but this judgment will have a chilling effect on the ability of teams to copy--er, interpret--past designs.

If I heard correctly (T)racing Point was given the OK by the tech inspectors for the brake duct design prior to the season. If that is the case, then the whole approval process will lose trust due to a lack of integrity from the FIA/FOM inspectors or the organization as a whole.

I think that copying the others is regular and has always been done, but here we have not copied, they have had the designs directly from Mercedes and the only parts will not be the same as those of the brakes. the penalty is ridiculous then mercedes should also be penalized, Ferrari for the engine (perhaps irregular since the fia has always said it has found nothing) has been penalized this year and next year since they cannot improve it (they are not un fan ferrari), but here you use the rules as you want and this is not fair

Renault were clever with their appeal because they went after a part that was:
A. Not entirely visible and
B. Was not a listed part that they had to develop on their own last year meaning they would have already had the physical design in house or available last year.

While I say it is clever, I also think it should not be a "throw the book at them" sort of penalty. 400k is a lot of money and 15 points won't be easy to make up in a shortened season and Checo out can't help.

RPs plan to copy was never a secret and an FIA rep that they consulted should have caught this if they inquired but they all missed it. The key here by the outward appearance of the car was that RP was never trying to cheat. I believe them when they say that they were confident it was all legal and unlike other teams that have lied and hidden things, they were very open about it.

I hope they kick Renault's butt this weekend.

Nick Hill

Premium
F1 is sort of their own worst enemy I think. The small teams have an uphill battle as it is but, on top of that, they are at risk of punishments while rule infractions at big money teams (looking at you, Ferrari) get handled with kid gloves.

Slapped

Premium
What was it now, ah yes, Last season Renault tried to game the system by automating the brake balance control thus turning it into a driver aid. As TC, ABS and SC are illegal so was this system judged to be illegal. Full marks to Racing Point for pulling them up on it.

So Renault has now decided to retaliate over some second hand old tech brake diffusers. Ok RP's car this year is a blatant copy of last years merc, and honestly the legality of it is questionable, but RP haven't exactly hidden it. Unlike Renault with the automated brake balance.

Having had business dealings with the French I unfortunately have to say this is the typical French vindictiveness that happens when they try to pull the wool over your eyes and you call them out on it.

So if Renault didn't protest this nothing would have happened?

I think this was confirmed last season when RP protested Renault's brake bias system. FIA were fully aware of the issue, but their hands are tied unless another team notices a breach of the rules. It makes me wonder why FIA bother inspecting cars and enforcing parc ferme if they can't deem cars illegal without a protest.

IceColdBeard_24

If you want to save the planet, drive fast !
Premium
1998,1999,2000,2003,2005,2006,2007 the seasons I truly deeply loved you F1 !! Stop the bullc*** and make it good to watch again.....