Alright when was that again.....?

Poor Albon, first he's given a car that is not suited to his driving style, now it has been revealed by Helmut Marko that he doesn't even have the same parts as Verstappen. This all goes for Gasly as well when he was on the team. It's no wonder that Verstatppen looks so superior to his teammates.

Like Gasly, Albon would surely start to find his pace again under the Alpha Tauri brand no doubt, because he wouldn't be handed a stacked deck from which to play.

Red Bull is a strange duck...

These questions need to become "Who do you WANT to win this week's F1 race". I tire of having to pick the obvious favorite to win : (
I'm pretty sure that's the way a lot of people have responded all along. How else do Vettel and Leclerc still receive votes, or George Russell? (I would have added Grosjean always getting votes, but that has to be someone's sense of humor, right?)

How is it, when major teams like Williams and Ferrari fall off the cliff, they can't climb back up? It took Mclaren, about ..what??? 6 years to recover their collapse. How is it that a design choice failure cannot be rectified by the next season?

Give this man a prize because I think he is asking THE question that should be F1's top priority right now.

If it really is the case that Mercedes is this good and/or the other teams really are that incompetent...well...what can you do short of introducing BoP type gimmicks you see in sports car type series. OR, are there systemic factors baked into modern F1 that make it really difficult for the teams to close the gap? I mean, Mercedes surely came out of the gates in '14 head and shoulders above the field - that is far from unprecedented in F1 history after a big spec change, but here we are in 2020 and the gap has really not closed meaningfully (maybe the time gaps are a bit smaller, but not enough to change the race outcomes). Hopefully some big brains are asking why that is and, if appropriate, brainstorming solutions.

Actually I don't get whats so special about Williams F1. Other once-famous names in F1 vanished like Brabham, BRM, Eagle, Ligier, Osella, AGS, Zakspeed, Jordan, Benetton, Lotus too in the past, it's normal. What I also don't get is Claire Williams popularity, I'm sure if she'd start a onlyfans then horny Williams F1 fans would bankroll the team even without sponsors. :roflmao:

The same happened in F1 in the past, in WRC with Citroen, Vauxhall in BTCC, Maserati in FIAGT, etc. The duration of Mercedes dominance is extraordinary, but only because the regulations have been extremely stable since 2013. They also have one of the most consistent top drivers ever, which adds an extra buffer against competition.

Last edited:
If it really is the case that Mercedes is this good and/or the other teams really are that incompetent...
I don't think it has anything to do with incompetence, there are thousands of the smartest people trying to beat Mercedes. Its hard to know how much influence the rest of the Mercedes company has on their effectiveness. They have a massive pool of talent to pull from, and a vast amount of experience in all sorts of markets that they could turn too.

The gaps in F1 are pretty small at the end of the day, the days of creating a new technology that changes the game are gone, even if the rules were less strict there's just no where left to develop. They are eking out tiny advantages and hoping they combine into something significant. That's expensive.

But isn't it the case that there's always been one team that does better than everyone else?

I still can't get past the fact that F1 is just inherently unfair because if you win the engineering competition you've won the drivers championship too. The races have been standardised to fit a TV schedule and the teams have too much experience and knowledge of the standard tracks. They need more unknown, and maybe different types of races, like maybe an endurance race, maybe 2 short races, they need to mix things up because Mercedes won't be beat at a 90 minute race.

They need to make races more of an unknown to put strategists under pressure, they need to mix things up with races where there's no data going in. They need to make a level playing field for all the teams, at the moment it's heavy tipped in the favour of a minority of teams. I think F1 needs an overhaul and too just take the risk and try new things, it's not the spectacle it once was where people would go to see incredible machines, all that's left is the sport, and the fans of the sport. At the moment it's not a fair "sport" and it's not an exciting spectacle.

Sad news, end of an era, but it's also hopeful news for the health of the sport. New investors being willing to step into the sport are critical to it's long term health. Let's hope these new investors make something of the opportunity and send a message to other would be investors that F1 is still a fun place to be.

I really feel for Claire and wonder how she's taking it. She strikes me as smart, tough, and very earnest. She has been an easy target during Williams recent struggles but, the fact of the matter is, she could be a "1 in 100,000" type person in terms of intellect, drive, etc and still be found wanting because (1) it's Formula 1 and (2) she's following in the footsteps of a "1 in 1,000,000" type person (i.e. Frank).

I really feel for Claire and wonder how she's taking it. She strikes me as smart, tough, and very earnest. She has been an easy target during Williams recent struggles but, the fact of the matter is, she could be a "1 in 100,000" type person in terms of intellect, drive, etc and still be found wanting because (1) it's Formula 1 and (2) she's following in the footsteps of a "1 in 1,000,000" type person (i.e. Frank).
Agreed. I very much hope that she enjoys the next phase of her life: "I now want to see what else the world holds for me ".

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back