BREAKING | McLaren Reveal MCL35M 2021 F1 Car

eg01st

250RPM
Premium
Jul 28, 2018
While I agree that today's cars are much too long, let's not forget that the 1970 car was, in reality, a deathtrap on four wheels, with no consideration for the driver's safety. In terms of looks alone, the 1991 car is by far the best. It would be nice if driver safety could be possible with a much shorter car, because right now, they are simply much too long.
Yes, they were a death trap. But why not take a challenge and bring today's safety into a package of 1991 size? Look at that nose, that alone is far ahead of drivers legs and take a lot of space. Make them slower, but at least it will get better racing.

eg01st

250RPM
Premium
Jul 28, 2018
When they abandon the use of hybrid power units. All those joules gotta fit in somewheres.
Just proves the point that combustion engines are still the most efficient and you don't need to carry hundreds of kilograms of batteries around to keep going.

Mr Latte

3000RPM
Premium
Jun 2, 2016
"Mclaren Is A Happy Garage"

I do like this design....
It's bold but classy

For me, this team was one of the most enjoyable to follow the last couple of seasons.
The dynamics of both drivers while we loved Carlos and how close Lando and him competed.

Adding Mercedes Power and (nose) hopefully will bring improved powerband with better low-speed corner performance.

Can't wait to see how Danny Boi compares to Lando, although do others find that F1 is most interesting when you have several driver shifts and a big engine/car partnership?

Last edited:

Turk

1000RPM
Jul 29, 2011
Yes, they were a death trap. But why not take a challenge and bring today's safety into a package of 1991 size? Look at that nose, that alone is far ahead of drivers legs and take a lot of space. Make them slower, but at least it will get better racing.
The cars aren't long just to make room for crash protection and batteries though. Wouldn't it be the case that even without those things the cars would probably still get this long because it helps with high speed cornering? The only advantage of a shorter car is in low speed cornering which F1 cars don't do a lot of.

Antony Snook

500RPM
Jul 16, 2011
The teams are carrying over 2020 cars as the focus is the new airo for 2022. So the car is the same the floor is tapered in a bit in front of rear wheels and those fish gill slots and holes are band on top. They went from Renault Power to Mercedes so the rear cowling may have to be re shaped to accommodate new power unit. And Mr Webber will be driving this year.

BeliacosGR

50RPM
Premium
Jun 3, 2015
Lets make it back my Team! From livery side its pretty much the same to me but with slightly differences.

fatal4you

250RPM
Oct 28, 2018
The livery designer must have been on vacation, looks like last years livery.

My prediction for 2021: Switching to Merc engine from Renault was a wrong move, they should have used their token on aero improvements like every other team. RIC's fasted lap in Sakhir GP proves the Renault engine was good enough to win.

Last edited:

fatal4you

250RPM
Oct 28, 2018
I hope they win a race this year.

Launch season used to be exciting, but it's just generally dull these days. There's so little left field innovation these days.
You missed Riccardo rapping. It was very cringey, similar like Ferrari's 2020 launch with the dancers and the very under-dressed opera singers (jeans and t-shirt).

Last edited:

giga1tr

75RPM
Premium
Jan 1, 2017
The two drive themselves a dream team for me.
I like both of them very much. I am looking forward

Jason Chamberlain

Mobile Chicane
Premium
Apr 26, 2020
You missed Riccardo rapping. It was very cringey, similar like Ferrari's 2020 launch with the dancers and the very under-dressed opera singers (jeans and t-shirt).
I didn't think that Ferrari's launch last year was cringey, just very Ferrari. But Ricciardo's rapping was awful. The clip they showed sounded like he was looking at the words for the first time. I can see why he was embarrassed when they asked him about it.

McLaren is going to have to figure out how to manage the image with these guys. The Lando/Carlos thing was fun and felt pretty natural and organic. It's like they're trying to force these guys to be BFFs and it just has to develop. I'm more confident about their social media/marketing folks figuring this out than I am about them getting a race win this year.

I can't decide if Alpha Tauri's fashion show last year was cringey or just annoying :)

Reactions: fatal4you

fatal4you

250RPM
Oct 28, 2018
I didn't think that Ferrari's launch last year was cringey, just very Ferrari. But Ricciardo's rapping was awful. The clip they showed sounded like he was looking at the words for the first time. I can see why he was embarrassed when they asked him about it.

McLaren is going to have to figure out how to manage the image with these guys. The Lando/Carlos thing was fun and felt pretty natural and organic. It's like they're trying to force these guys to be BFFs and it just has to develop. I'm more confident about their social media/marketing folks figuring this out than I am about them getting a race win this year.

I can't decide if Alpha Tauri's fashion show last year was cringey or just annoying :)
Ricciardo already said, he is there to be a serious racer not a meme dream team. Which is kind of stupid to say from a marketing stand point as this is want fans want to see.

Alpha Tauri's fashion show last year is basically as cringey as the whole idea of an energy drink fashion brand. Especially the lack of overlap, the fashion brand is priced for high income and the energy drink is price low income.

Michel Bélisle

250RPM
Premium
Nov 3, 2018
The back end of the car looks longer and more rectangular than last year's car.
This is the 2020 car:
1613586369072.png

This is the 2021 car:
1613586433221.png

Maybe it is just an optical illusion?

Michel Bélisle

250RPM
Premium
Nov 3, 2018
Impressive stats!
MGU-HMaximum speed 125,000 rpm
Maximum power, unlimited