Alright when was that again.....?

One of two things are going to happen:
  1. Alonso takes over the team, acts like a mentor to Ocon, Ocon grows a brain and learns some racecraft from a veteran.
  2. Ocon tries to compete with Alonso, smashes him into a wall a couple times on Lap 1, and Alonso knocks his teeth out. Something Perez was too much of a nice guy to have done in 2018.
Now, what will really happen? Alonso will get in a car that is a hundred times better than the McLaren he left, but is still somehow 1.2 seconds off the pace and fighting in the mid-field with Racing Point and...some other teams. If Alonso can keep his mind on improving the car instead of trying to win, then he may find a happy place and just have fun.

I remember when there was prequalifying on Friday mornings, 8 am. That was nuts!

That's what I want back as well. Yes we'd lose more teams due to bankruptcy as they possibly wouldn't get to race. But as long as you are able to build a car that meet the regulations, and pay the entry fee (which shouldn't be a ridiculous amount. I remember it being 48 Million USD to even be allowed to enter F1 as a team). Then go on, you should have a chance to make the grid.

I predicted this a while ago, I also predict Vettel will join Merc and world champion Bottas will join Hass. Vettel to Merc will be pushed and in part paid for by FOM as it is great for the show.

Why do I feel a sense of deja vu when this sounds rather similar to when Michael Schumacher did his return to F1 after retirement, never seemed to be able to get his mojo back, but was still not shy about running people off the track. Doesn't sound too promising for Vettel next year, the game of musical F1 chairs is not boding to well for him. Betcha $5 bucks that's the main reason Alonso is coming back.

Am I the only one that is disappointed with this news? I enjoyed Fernando in the glory years, however his time later at McLaren I think damaged both McLaren and Honda's reputation, along with his reputation in my opinion. Despite all his moaning of the performance of the car, he stuck at McLaren. Perhaps makes you wonder what kept him, as it was certainty not results. It does make you wonder why he is coming back again.

Personally, I feel like this will be a repeat of his time with McLaren-Honda and Riccardo at Renault. A promise to return to former glory, which sadly never happened.

I don't think this will lead to any 'on road' excitement... The Renault will still be a dog.. but what does excite me is the 'behind the scenes' clash between Cyril and Fernando being as eventually Fernando will air his dirty laundry in some shape or form. I hope he has a brand new deck chair ready. Two fairly abrasive individuals could lead to quite some explosive Netflix moments. :D

I keep wondering if I'm not seeing this correctly...people keep saying Albon was on the line and Hamilton forced him wide...but umm:
1594182745423.png

This is the frame just before their tyres make contact (go check for yourself)....there is asphalt, the curb and the green on Albon's left and, as far as I know on this track, as long as you have two wheels on the asphalt you're not exceeding track limits.

Let's also remember that Albon:
  1. Is in a Red Bull...who has had one of, if not the best Aero packages of the last decade...so excellent downforce in situations like this.
  2. Is using the new Honda engine, closer in power to the Merc when compared to RB's Renault days.
  3. Is on Softs (when combined with the 2 points above means he most likely had grip to spare).

Let's also remember that Hamilton:
  1. Arrived at the braking zone first. Yes there's overlap, but he has the right to defend the corner, not just give it up because you want him to.
  2. Is on worn Hard tyres.
  3. Shows no evidence of intentionally letting the car run wide when looking at steering input and listening to the engine.
Factoring all of this into it, is it not also possible that both Hamilton had understeer and Albon underestimated how wide his own back tyres are and turned in too early? I believe it was a racing incident; people calling for Hamilton to be nailed to a cross over this really needs to take a breather and look at all the angles without bias. I didn't know 6 time WDC's stop being human and can't make an error (understeer) and a driver who's still pretty much a rookie can have his part in the incident completely overlooked...but yea, it's Hamilton so he's automatically guilty.

I always here everywhere I go since I started Sim-Racing: "It's the job of the faster car to facilitate a clean, safe pass"...did that rule suddenly get thrown out the window? If there's any corner to provide a "clean, safe pass"...that corner ain't it. Albon clearly had the pace and could easily pass Hamilton about 3 corners later.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 272 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 182 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 181 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 134 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 241 13.6%