• Guest, RaceDepartment is now on Discord!  Join Here

BREAKING | Fernando Alonso Set To Return To F1 With Renault

Paul Glover

RaceDepartment Social Media Manager & Podcast Host
Staff member
Premium
Jul 16, 2011
Not sure this is the right move for Renault or Alonso, if you look at what Mclaren have achieved since Alonso left the seat there. They have a great dynamic between two drivers, which I hope will continue when Dan Ric makes the move next season.

Rumour has it that Alonso is not a team player, will he help Renault move forward? I doubt it. Much young talent coming through the ranks.

Time will tell if this the right move for the man who said he would only come back to a top seat........ this isn't that.

Last edited:

Ole Marius Myrvold

JWB 96-13
Staff member
Premium
Sep 29, 2009
Also, must be awful to be Christian Lundgaard and Guanyu Zhou now. No room in any teams for 2021. Knowing if one of them (Zhou being a prime candidate) wins F2 this year, they cannot race in F2 next season, and with no F1 seat available, DTM going away. They need to do IndyCar, LMP1, simulator-work or completely irrelevant motorsports.
While Mercedes looks set to continue with Bottas, thus making it impossible for their juniors to take the step up. At least they have customer teams they can put drivers in to. Renault got nothing.

butcher85

25RPM
Premium
Mar 28, 2013
Nearly had a heart attack when I saw the McLaren in the photo and thought for a second that Alonso was coming back to my beloved team

Renault can have him, he's undoubtably brilliant but also toxic

Meanwhile Aussie driver at McLaren=win/win!

michelforest

500RPM
Mar 2, 2010
Also, must be awful to be Christian Lundgaard and Guanyu Zhou now. No room in any teams for 2021. Knowing if one of them (Zhou being a prime candidate) wins F2 this year, they cannot race in F2 next season, and with no F1 seat available, DTM going away. They need to do IndyCar, LMP1, simulator-work or completely irrelevant motorsports.
While Mercedes looks set to continue with Bottas, thus making it impossible for their juniors to take the step up. At least they have customer teams they can put drivers in to. Renault got nothing.
It is obvious that 20 cars isn’t enough. F1 needs 3, if not 4, more teams. It used to be this way and it allowed access to F1 for young drivers.

Ole Marius Myrvold

JWB 96-13
Staff member
Premium
Sep 29, 2009
It is obvious that 20 cars isn’t enough. F1 needs 3, if not 4, more teams. It used to be this way and it allowed access to F1 for young drivers.
Yup, there should be 26 cars (13 teams). That way it's not a crisis if one team leaves. Actually. That way it would not be a crisis if Red Bull left either, as there would still be 11 teams.

DonZmeuheu

100RPM
Feb 2, 2019
Not sure this is the right move for Renault or Alonso, if you look at what Mclaren have achieved since Alonso left the seat there. They have a great dynamic between two drivers, which I hope will continue with Dan Ric makes the move next season.

Rumour has it that Alonso is not a team player, will he help Renault move forward? I doubt it. Much young talent coming through the ranks.

Time will tell if this the right move for the man who said he would only come back to a top seat........ this isn't that.
I agree but as much as I like Lando and Carlos and they really both great drivers....IMO the biggest impact for MClaren was Andreas Seidl. Since he is with MClaren this Team changed 180° and improved massivly. Of course two good drivers in a Team are extremly importand but the Management and Leading of the Team is equally important;) Look at Ferrari.... they have 2 great drivers.....ok now at the Moment 1 good driver and Spinbastian Vettel;) but Teamleading is so rubbish.

Reactions: Andrew Harper

gamer19

2000RPM
Aug 28, 2012
Interesting. Not a real fan but c'mon guys... don't you want to rather have Alonso in F1 seat then, say... Nicholas freakin Latifi. For the sake of the show c'mon...
Just a shame Vettel was eyeing that seat too :rolleyes:
Maybe it's not too late for my boy Jacques Villeneuve , these days obviously anything is possible in F1 :)

• Haha
Reactions: michelforest

Kindly

75RPM
May 20, 2020
Just a PR move imo. There is no fairytale. Vettel may have been better. That said, maybe no experienced driver would have been better too. It is not like either of those guys build a harmonious works team.

turbo86

250RPM
Feb 12, 2009
I want that crazy dude back. What was his name? Maldonado? And Senna's nephew as well. He deserves a second chance. If granda Fernando gets to have one...he should have one as well. For the sake of the name. I mean at this point anything could make F1 a little bit more interesting....

rubaru

4000RPM
Dec 7, 2015
One of two things are going to happen:
  1. Alonso takes over the team, acts like a mentor to Ocon, Ocon grows a brain and learns some racecraft from a veteran.
  2. Ocon tries to compete with Alonso, smashes him into a wall a couple times on Lap 1, and Alonso knocks his teeth out. Something Perez was too much of a nice guy to have done in 2018.
Now, what will really happen? Alonso will get in a car that is a hundred times better than the McLaren he left, but is still somehow 1.2 seconds off the pace and fighting in the mid-field with Racing Point and...some other teams. If Alonso can keep his mind on improving the car instead of trying to win, then he may find a happy place and just have fun.

Reactions: Sasha Jednak

Ole Marius Myrvold

JWB 96-13
Staff member
Premium
Sep 29, 2009
I remember when there was prequalifying on Friday mornings, 8 am. That was nuts!
That's what I want back as well. Yes we'd lose more teams due to bankruptcy as they possibly wouldn't get to race. But as long as you are able to build a car that meet the regulations, and pay the entry fee (which shouldn't be a ridiculous amount. I remember it being 48 Million USD to even be allowed to enter F1 as a team). Then go on, you should have a chance to make the grid.