• Guest, RaceDepartment is now on Discord!  Join Here

BREAKING | Fernando Alonso Set To Return To F1 With Renault

According to multiple media outlets, double Formula One World Champion Fernando Alonso has reportedly signed a deal to return to the sport with the Renault team from 2021, replacing the outgoing Daniel Ricciardo.
  • Alonso to return for third Renault F1 stint
  • Official confirmation expected on Wednesday
  • The 38-year-old to replace McLaren bound Daniel Ricciardo
Although not 100% confirmed as an official announcement, it looks increasingly clear that Fernando Alonso will step back into the cockpit of a Formula One car next season, with reports suggesting the 38-year-old Spaniard has completed a deal to race alongside Esteban Ocon at the Renault team from next year.

Fernando Alonso to return 1.jpg

Having left Formula One at the end of 2018 following a frustrating time with the McLaren Honda project, Alonso has spent his time wisely outside of the sport, securing two Le Mans 24 Hour victories and the World Endurance Championship crown, as well as various attempts at winning the Indy 500 in America alongside participation in the Dakar Rally, Daytona 24 hours and other motorsport adventures.

Although the Renault team have declined to comment at this point, it is understood an official announcement will be made by the team and driver on Wednesday.

Original Source: BBC

For F1 news and discussions, chat with the community now in the F1 Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment.

Alonso 1.jpg

RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief, occasional YouTuber, commentator and broadcaster, with a passion for motorsport on both the real and virtual racetrack.

Metisagon

50RPM
Premium
Feb 22, 2016
I think this is wonderful news, and will benefit the sport.

He was always a divisive character in the paddock, so I suspect that a lot of people will be arguing that he's had his time and that they don't want to see him back and so on.

Personally, I believe that Formula One should always attract the best drivers in the world. He showed in his final season that he's as capable as ever, and has been competitive in every category he's raced since.

He's always been exciting to watch on track, and will add excitement to the grid in 2021. F1 is always the primary beneficiary of this.

Bram Hengeveld

RaceDepartment Founder
Staff member
Premium
Dec 26, 2006
Having left Formula One at the end of 2018 following a frustrating time with the McLaren Honda project
Leaving Formula One at the end of 2022 following a frustrating time with the Renault F1 project.

In all seriousness. Renault now really need to step up their game big time otherwise Alonso bets on the wrong horse again.

Michel Forest

100RPM
Jul 26, 2017
From PlanetF1.com:

The likes of Valtteri Bottas, Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso have all been linked with the seat and, according to Spanish broadcaster and journalist, Noemi de Miguel, an official announcement is close.
‘As I have been informed, Renault is planning to make an official announcement on Wednesday,’ she said on Twitter.
She continued: ‘After the race, Cyril Abiteboul has told veteran mechanics (those who have been around for more than 15 years) that they have already worked with him.’

So obviously it's either this guy:

1594137369046.png

Or this guy:
1594137407248.png

:D

Michel Forest

100RPM
Jul 26, 2017
Really dont see the fascination with Alonso he wont 2 titles......14 years ago!!! Then spent years whining about how cars werent good enough rather than working with the team to find a resolution.
Speaking for myself, two things I like about Alonso: 1) He's a real racer who is not afraid to try all kinds of cars. He reminds me of drivers of the 60's and 70's. 2) He has a strong personality. Too many F1 drivers are P.R. machines now. (It's also why Raikonnen is still a very popular driver. His personality is so different.)